Builds pulling the trigger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Threads
thanks to a customer who three months ago offered his beautiful loaded 07 and then his wife nixed the deal, i've been somewhat searching for another. i needed a tow rig and a pickup desperately ever since i got rid of my old "fawkeduprebuiltdodge".

after talking to a good friend who was the tech trainer/problem solver/guru for toyta and consulting numerous forums, i determined that a 2012-2015 with the tow mode was what i needed. i didn't want a crew max since i damn near never have more than one passenger and bed space was more important, and i wanted low miles since i was gonna plunk out a bit of change....let's face it, tundras don't depreciate like lesser vehicles ;)

as i've gotten older, i've realized there are certain things i like....power windows (i'm short, so reaching sucks). extra cabs (on a rainy/snowy day, it sucks to put your groceries in the bed), temperature reading (just kinda nice....not sure why), double visors (again, being short, i like to block as much windshield and window)....so i had my goals

i've been watching craigslist and i'm on the cargurues and carmax sites and was checking them once a week or so, but i had no deadline. my dad said he would look up where he is (gig harbor) and my brother would let people in l.a. know to keep their eyes out for my demands.

2012-2014
double cab
4wd
5.7 with tow package
no red/white/black colors
less than 60k
less than $30k

wednesday, i got a flier about a sale from Larry H Miller's tent sale...the only manufacturer that didn't seem to be listed was toyota, but it was all used, so thursday, i decided to see what would be there. only two tundras. a crewmax and a silver doublecab. click for more info and it turns out to be a 2012 with 21,842 miles! but a grade model :(

for grins i went to check it out. think i weirded out the salesman. not often you see a woman whip out the camera phone and start taking pictures in the lowest regions of the engine bay and crawl underneath to see just how clean the undercarriage is.

the rig was a clean, one owner from an upscale neighborhood and the carfax indicated all the work was done at the local toyota dealership.

i've had it for the last two days, which is the way to do a new car purchase, so i had all the time in the world to crawl all over it and check on the stuff i wanted without someone waiting on me and asking annoying questions. tomorrow, i'm 95% sure i'll be signing final papers tomorrow on a 2012 double cab 4wd grade :( with 21,867 miles :)

What is a "grade" model?

21K miles is basically new. Sounds great.

grade - absolutely no frills.
i guess it fits...i bought it for a working vehicle and within 12 hours of signing the paperwork, i had a trailer on the back ;)
20170527_230216.jpg

first thing to go in was my old brake controller. love the ease of just splicing on a factory pigtail and plugging it in.

added avs window visors because i love the windows cracked in the rain and on hot days when parked. i've always questioned whether in channel visors cause issues with the window and reading was confirming they weren't the way to go, so i went with outside mount again and avs because they are made in the u.s.a.

then put my mostly likely not made in the u.s.a. mod of superbrightled.com bulbs. i haven't replaced every bulb, but i did to footwell, dome and map lights, license plate and cargo/third brake lights.

last thing for a while is the again made in the u.s.a. truxedo lo pro qt tonneau cover.

done for a bit. working on researching backup camera options after finding out grade versions don't have the complete harness for plug and play :(

20170529_190932.jpg
20170531_200600.jpg
20170601_221153.jpg
20170601_221204.jpg
20170602_173822.jpg

Looks like a clean truck.

Nice going!

Looks good! You don't waste any time...

took the tundra wheeling today....not exactly by choice. went up a graded road to a f.s. campground for a meeting...the rain came and the road went away. my phone died when the video ended, but it was about six miles of this. i guess tomorrow, i get to find all the grease zerks and drain plugs

the guy i was with (our land use guy) got a great shot of me going into the first section
IMG_6776.JPG

Hey, my Rock Warrior is a 2012, it's got plenty of 'blanks' where the dandy-boy trim levels have extraneous crapparoo.

It has all the stuff my '97 80 has (plus a few things I don't- like my phone 'pausing' my tunes while it rings & I blissfully ignore it.
---If I want to bluetoooth my tunes, I gotta put up with it, despite never setting up that handsfree phone stuff---

Frankly I like the stripped down (my buddy was P/O, so he added airbags for towing, and he got the sunroof & drop rear glass) - only thing I will add is because it doesn't have leather I need a rear seat cover so my dog can ride in it whenever.

IDK if you only got the column shifter with the 4.7 or not, but plenty of times I've been real neutral on the floor shifter for an auto - this isn't my '68 Camaro, we're not fooling anybody.

Anyhow, props on the truck! I seem to think you're a 80 owner too, and it's hard finding something you like after them IMO!

thanks.
i have the column shift, which for me was not desireable. i shift my 80, mostly into neutral approaching lights because brakes have never been toyotas specialty, and that's not real convenient with column shift.

wish i had the power rear window, also wanted the remote start and back up camera. wanted the full display where the clock is, double visors, and wanted the monitor for camera in the head unit. all of that can be done (well, except the power rear window which would be more hassle than it's worth), and better than toyota, but it's added expense and work. but for 21k miles, i'll live ;)
the bluetooth is weird getting used to...never had a vehicle this technological ;)

thanks.
i have the column shift, which for me was not desireable. i shift my 80, mostly into neutral approaching lights because brakes have never been toyotas specialty, and that's not real convenient with column shift.

wish i had the power rear window, also wanted the remote start and back up camera. wanted the full display where the clock is, double visors, and wanted the monitor for camera in the head unit.

OK - I can go with that logic for the floor shift (admit I do shift myself when towing & we hit grades or that 'fuzzy zone / hunts gears' too). Seems to keep the trans temp down to do that.

As a easy one for ya, I grabbed the clock (default mine was temp) multifunction switchbank for the dash right of column from a totalled Sequoia. Was just over $20 w/ tax & the plug is there (at least in my '12 RW / fancy SR5 dash harness) - only switch that does nothing is the 'sonar', but it unlocked all the other functions of that mid dashboard display. HTH.
At worst, I saw them on eBay in sonar or no sonar for ~$80 NIB. 2 minute, 1/4:banana: job. My Dad told me a cheapo sonar setup he bought on ebay for ~$15 (no joke!) was a complete he added to his ~2013 Chevy Z71 truck & works like a champ, I liked the sonar button as I think I'll wire the factory switch to some cheap sonar units, esp since I'll be running a Demello bumper soon & sell/CL my RW bumper.

RW got the backup cam in the rear mirror, I like that best so I don't have a flashy screen some meth junkie smashes a window for when I leave it at the boat launch all day/past sunset. But they were only black, granite grey, and red (maybe white???)-- that I know of - so yours still fits you best per your color preference.

And I do have to stand in the bed to wash that big ol' crewcab roof, deja vu' my 80 carwash methods.

@nuclearlemon -
PM me if you want one of those 4-button switches, Were 4-5 Sequoias at the breaker yard when I was there recently. I can function test in my Tundra, would only ask actual cost plus the ride.

added a little obnoxious paracord to the grab handles in case i should need some. also swapped out a couple more bulbs for led and added a couple short bars to the grill. still need switches and wiring, but that should happen soon. did the sabm, just need a good hi flow filter also.

20170813_184243.jpg

My parents have a crew max, I have a double. As far as leg room its acceptable in the double for an adult, on short trips, the crew max is more comfortable in the back. The reason I went double over crew was that I have an ATV, and with the double and 6.5' foot box I can half close, but still lock the tailgate with it in it.

i have a 2012 limited crew max TRD and love it. The tech is very dated on these truck compared to say a f-150 of the same model year. My only complaint is the radio/nav set up. Its horrible and clunky and will be replaced in a year or so with aftermarket unit

i will say i never knew i would use power fold mirrors as much as i do. Along with the leather heated seat and the tons of room it might be my favorite vehicle i have ever owned.

in the last couple months, i've been busy. i changed out more bulbs to led (all i have left to change are headlights and turn signals), modified the rear seats so they fold down (makes getting the floor jack out soooo much easier), debadged it except for the iforce emblems, finished up wiring the lights in the grill after resealing the one that got moisture in it.

20170617_212250.jpg

20170723_173301.jpg

20170806_101521.jpg

20170806_103552.jpg

IMG_20171005_175506_581.jpg

i've also racked up 7k miles, pretty impressive since it's not a daily driver and often will sit for a week at a time. sitting means i can take my time doing projects like adding some junkyard double visors. it also meant my already worn tires were getting more worn, so new tires were due. but i've had some great trips including some touring through central wyoming, a trip to washington to see my mom before she passed, and todd and i towed annie out to slc for cruiserfest.

now i've started working on a budget back up camera setup
20170828_192817.jpg
20170824_194954.jpg
20170908_165254.jpg
20171005_181456.jpg
20171005_183239.jpg

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Sounds like the Tundra was the perfect fit for your use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom