Piddling with a tire carrier latch. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to make one good tire carrier latch from 2 . In the attached photos are two "pins". One attaches the handle to the "sleeve" of the latch assembly and the other holds the "u" shaped catch to the handle. How do those two pins come apart?

Thanks

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

Those pins are one piece and are formed after the parts are assembled.The only way to remove and disassemble them is to grind the head off.
New latches are available for about $65.00 ea.

If you have to keep the original ones, I would grind off the small head and then take it to a machine shop and have them drill a hole and tap it to except the new bolt for reassembly.

If it were me I would just buy a new OEM replacement. It's going to cost less and be perfect.

Those pins are one piece and are formed after the parts are assembled.The only way to remove and disassemble them is to grind the head off.
New latches are available for about $65.00 ea.
hmmm......would you mind sharing a link. I searched "toyotapartsdeal" and SOR, no luck. Discontinued.

That doesn't fit a tubular tire carrier.
The photos show what I need. The tire carrier in the photos is one of two I am reburbing.

IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

I like the idea of grinding the head off and taping a bolt with a pan head of some sort, or maybe even welding a head on it.

I rebuilt mine, sorry no pics when I was doing it. I ground the head off and took it apart. Made some spacers to tighten it back up and welded a new head on. I searched for several months for a good replacement and never found one. I also had to make the holder for the spring as mine was gone. Cut off the head that doesnt show as much :)

Sorry for the bad picture, no flash on my laptop and the lighting was bad in the garage.

Photo on 5-8-18 at 11.43 PM #2.jpg

I think I made the spacers just fit the diameter of the pin and then I welded them to the latch. The pin is welded to the outside (new head you have to grind off). If I recall, the pin is fixed and doesnt move. Just make the latch fit the pin with no slack on the pin or side to side.

Clear as MUD? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom