Builds GX460 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @TRD83 happen to have any updated pictures with the air lift bags?

I havent taken pictures loaded with a car yet - still using the truck for hauling duties. As that becomes less frequent, Id like to ditch the truck and use the GX.

Heres a picture pre-airbags with maybe 500 lbs of steel, a welder and some furniture. This was when I realized Id need bags if I was going to put a car on the trailer. Ive since pulled a few light loads, and the airbags "fixed" the sag that is visible in this photo.

SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers (front only to regain width lost from lift)/ front complete on 09 September/ rear complete Summer 2016
Given the issues the GX had with roll overs early on, I figure I'll try to keep it at least as wide as it was. Front came out perfect, so I ordered a set for the rear not too long after

Heres a update so you can see where the tires (and TJM steps) are with Spidertrax spacers front and rear.

Looks great! Did you end up taking the spare tire off the Kaymar bumper for good or just when you tow? After seeing the side shot with spidertrax I had an impulse buy and got a set.

...Did you end up taking the spare tire off the Kaymar bumper for good or just when you tow? ...

I typically leave the swing out carrier off in and around town then attach it for trips. I intentionally got the swing out hinged on the same side as the rear barn door on the lexus, but its still an extra step. The top window will swing up without hitting the spare, so its not terrible.

....After seeing the side shot with spidertrax I had an impulse buy and got a set...

Spacers are going to look great. If you look at the trailer picture posted above, the front has spacers and the rear doesnt and it seems to me to make a big difference visually.

Not sure of the exact differences in "actual" differences in you tires and mine, but if its close anywhere on rear of wheel well at full lock you might get a little contact (or a little more).

I'm starting to like that Kaymar bumper more and more. I really like that you can take off the swing out arm.

I test fitted the spidertrax, but they caused ALOT of rubbing, so I decided to not use them. I came way to close for comfort hitting my body mount and don't want to do a BMC.

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and Backbone Mount (rack PN: 42107BF and BackBone PN: RTPB1)/ ordered November 2016

Space goes quick inside when we travel, and with a second kid on the way I realized a roof rack would really be useful gain back some interior space.

I went with the Backbone for increased static load capacity, lower over all height, and maybe a bit more aero. But seriously....I think it looks more integrated/ finished.

Its worth noting that the Backbone limits your choices in rack dimensions to 84" x 49"/ 1928 x 1236mm. If you select the RCLP23 foot mounting kit, I believe you can go with a shorter rack (a 60" x 49"/ 1528 x1236mm, for example). The larger rack completely covers the sunroof, but the glass does not contact the rack in "tilt" mode.

Jonathan and Rob at Rhinorack USA were hugely helpful - always great to deal with people that get outside and use the products that they are selling.

INITIAL CONCERN - loss of satellite antenna reception and exposing "holes" in the roof (leaks)

The Lexus rails came off without a fuss. I went slow, and the three plastic caps that cover the mounting bolts popped right out. There's some YouTube videos of guys removing Prado 150 racks and its essentially the same.

As you can imagine, Lexus is quite thorough in preventing water from entering through the holes. Rhino Rack includes some little two-sided adhesive squares (with a hole in the middle) for sealing between the base of the rack and the roof of the vehicle. Seems to be a pretty sound solution, but since Lexus saw fit to add some red sealant on the bolts i went ahead and added a dab of silicone as well. Apparently you will know you have a leak if you get wet seat belts! Its sat in some pretty hard rain and seems to be holding up well (knock on wood).

Rhino Rack also includes an Allen wrench for the install, but it really should have been a ball end allen wrench for the bolts pictured below. I used my own ball-end wrench and it went on smoothly. There are three attachment points like this on each side

Heres a shot from the front of the vehicle looking directly at the leading edge of the passenger side Backbone mounting rail - pretty minimal wind resistance.

The only hiccup with the Backbone/ Platform combo is contact between the rear tip of the roof mounted satellite antenna ("shark fin") and the rear cross bar. In the picture below, taken while standing near drivers side taillight, the red arrows mark the attachment point on the Backbone, and the blue arrow shows the shark fin. When initially installed, the rear cross bar on the platform was "pushing" forward on the antenna ever so slightly. If you werent careful you might not even notice the two were in contact. I noticed, and didnt want to compromise the seal underneath the antenna so i trimmed/ primed/ touch-up painted to get a smidge of clearance.

From the same position, heres a shot with the rack attached. As i mentioned before, I opted to trim the antenna rather than trim the aluminum frame. I didnt want to degrade the static load capacity in any way, and the antenna is a cheap/ easy replacement if i ever pull the rack.

a shot from the rear of vehicle with both sides installed

Final shot from front passenger side/ Rhino Rack plaque - Much nicer than the stickers on the actual platform, which I will pull off shortly.

There are an even number of slats running lengthwise on the main portion of the pioneer rack, so the Antenna can see the sky. Reception seems unchanged (it wasnt that good before the rack, and its not that good now).

As mentioned before, this is the big rack - 84 x 49. It runs from the leading edge of the sunroof back the the gap between the roof and rear spoiler/ rear door. (please forgive the Jeep shirt...)

Last edited:
That Kaymar rear looks outstanding! Sick build

Close call between Rhino and Front Runner for sure. I found the Rhino Rack for a bit cheaper and I liked the length-wise bars - at leaast in theory. I wasnt able to do any direct comparisons personally, but I found some reviews that the Pioneer Platform was a bit quieter unloaded. Maybe theres a connection between noise and resistance?

Get a Front Runner and we can compare em!

Close call between Rhino and Front Runner for sure. I found the Rhino Rack for a bit cheaper and I liked the length-wise bars - at leaast in theory. I wasnt able to do any direct comparisons personally, but I found some reviews that the Pioneer Platform was a bit quieter unloaded. Maybe theres a connection between noise and resistance?

Get a Front Runner and we can compare em!

Haha I wish! My end goal is still to be able to fit in my garage. I'm considering changing my lift out for Ironman Foam Cell Pros in a couple of months, so after I install the new lift, I'll have to see if I could still clear the garage door (and save more money for the rack). From the roof to the top of the rack, how high does the Pioneer sit? As of right now I only have about 7.5-8" of clearance, but will lose some with the new lift.

I wish the backbone system was out when I ordered my RR setup. I got the tower mounting kit, but still like it. I got the 49x76 platform. I really wish I went with the 49x84 one though. I could use the extra 8 inches of length once my roof top tent is mounted up and "stuff" is on the roof.

You'll definitely need some sort of front fairing with the platform. The wind noise over 55mph was very very loud. I modified an old yakima fairing I had laying around and it works awesome.

I was just wondering how you addressed the fin issue..

I was very appalled by the customer service at Rhino Rack today. I was told by the individual on the phone that “YOU ARE REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES NOW” when I asked if a rack would clear my shark fin antenna. WOW I was blown away! If you even care to read the full story I will jot it down…

I have be researching roof rack systems for my GX460 for over a month now and narrowed down my choice between Rhino Rack Pioneer and Frontrunner Slimline. In the Phoenix area I called 3 different shops regarding roof racks all stated that Frontrunner is the way to go. I have been following this build thread and you had used a Rhino Racks and said “Jonathon and Rob were hugely helpful” so I thought I would give them a call with questions regarding the rack system. Anyone that has a Lexus GX460 knows how frustrating it is to get the right fitting accessories.

So I gave customer service a call and let the individual know that I have some technical questions regarding there roof rack system, I gave him all the part numbers etc. I wanted to confirm that the rack would clear the shark fin antenna and and allow the sunroof to be set to tilt. The individual on the phone stated that he didn’t know but they “have fitted” this rack before. He also stated that they were really short handed today. So I asked if there was anyone who had technical experience that could confirm this as I had read in a forum that it was not clearing the fin. He started talking to the guy next to him while still talking directly into the phone (I didn’t know if he was talking to me or someone else) Once again he stated that they were shorthanded, I told him that I understand and that if he wants to look into this for me some more and email me back at a later time that would be fine. He flat out told me, “Yeah, I don’t think I will be doing that!” I thought I misunderstood him at first, so I asked are you able to email me back in an hour or so? That’s when he stated, “YOU ARE REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES NOW”. I flat out told him that I was comparing them with frontrunner and this is how he wants to represent his company… Disgusting!

I was very appalled by the customer service at Rhino Rack today. I was told by the individual on the phone that “YOU ARE REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES NOW” when I asked if a rack would clear my shark fin antenna. WOW I was blown away! If you even care to read the full story I will jot it down…

I have be researching roof rack systems for my GX460 for over a month now and narrowed down my choice between Rhino Rack Pioneer and Frontrunner Slimline. In the Phoenix area I called 3 different shops regarding roof racks all stated that Frontrunner is the way to go. I have been following this build thread and you had used a Rhino Racks and said “Jonathon and Rob were hugely helpful” so I thought I would give them a call with questions regarding the rack system. Anyone that has a Lexus GX460 knows how frustrating it is to get the right fitting accessories.

So I gave customer service a call and let the individual know that I have some technical questions regarding their roof rack system, I gave him all the part numbers etc. I wanted to confirm that the rack would clear the shark fin antenna and allow the sunroof to be set to tilt. The individual on the phone stated that he didn’t know but they “have fitted” this rack before. He also stated that they were really short-handed today. So I asked if there was anyone who had technical experience that could confirm this as I had read in a forum that it was not clearing the fin. He started talking to the guy next to him while still talking directly into the phone (I didn’t know if he was talking to me or someone else) Once again he stated that they were shorthanded, I told him that I understand and that if he wants to look into this for me some more and email me back at a later time that would be fine. He flat out told me, “Yeah, I don’t think I will be doing that!” I thought I misunderstood him at first, so I asked are you able to email me back in an hour or so? That’s when he stated, “YOU ARE REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES NOW”. I flat out told him that I was comparing them with frontrunner and this is how he wants to represent his company… Disgusting!

Hello AZGX470,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for how you were treated on the phone today, If you can remember whom you spoke to please let me know threw a PM or you are welcome to email me directly at Rgonzalez@Rhinorack.com , Please give me a call at (303) 706-9700 ask for Gonz, I will personally assist you with all of your questions.

With concerns on the Sharkfin antenna, this kit is " designed" for the Prado which does not have this antenna. fortunately, the platform rests in a way where it only lightly touches the fin here in the USA. Notching the aluminum will give a little piece of mind in the antenna department if you feel the need. and as the owner who had a very nice write-up btw on the backbone had also stated, there will be coverage of your sunroof, but it will not contact the glass, even during tilt.

Space goes quick inside when we travel, and with a second kid on the way I realized a roof rack would really be useful gain back some interior space.

I went with the Backbone for increased static load capacity, lower over all height, and maybe a bit more aero. But seriously....I think it looks more integrated/ finished.

Its worth noting that the Backbone limits your choices in rack dimensions to 84" x 49"/ 1928 x 1236mm. If you select the RCLP23 foot mounting kit, I believe you can go with a shorter rack (a 60" x 49"/ 1528 x1236mm, for example). The larger rack completely covers the sunroof, but the glass does not contact the rack in "tilt" mode.

Jonathan and Rob at Rhinorack USA were hugely helpful - always great to deal with people that get outside and use the products that they are selling.

INITIAL CONCERN - loss of satellite antenna reception and exposing "holes" in the roof (leaks)

The Lexus rails came off without a fuss. I went slow, and the three plastic caps that cover the mounting bolts popped right out. There's some YouTube videos of guys removing Prado 150 racks and its essentially the same.

As you can imagine, Lexus is quite thorough in preventing water from entering through the holes. Rhino Rack includes some little two-sided adhesive squares (with a hole in the middle) for sealing between the base of the rack and the roof of the vehicle. Seems to be a pretty sound solution, but since Lexus saw fit to add some red sealant on the bolts i went ahead and added a dab of silicone as well. Apparently you will know you have a leak if you get wet seat belts! Its sat in some pretty hard rain and seems to be holding up well (knock on wood).

Rhino Rack also includes an Allen wrench for the install, but it really should have been a ball end allen wrench for the bolts pictured below. I used my own ball-end wrench and it went on smoothly. There are three attachment points like this on each side

Heres a shot from the front of the vehicle looking directly at the leading edge of the passenger side Backbone mounting rail - pretty minimal wind resistance.

The only hiccup with the Backbone/ Platform combo is contact between the rear tip of the roof mounted satellite antenna ("shark fin") and the rear cross bar. In the picture below, taken while standing near drivers side taillight, the red arrows mark the attachment point on the Backbone, and the blue arrow shows the shark fin. When initially installed, the rear cross bar on the platform was "pushing" forward on the antenna, so i trimmed/ primed/ touch-up painted to get a smidge of clearance (picture of trimming to come).

There are an even number of slats running lengthwise on the main portion of the pioneer rack, so the Antenna can see the sky. Reception seems unchanged.

a shot from the rear of vehicle with both sides installed

Final shot from front passenger side/ Rhino Rack plaque - Much nicer than the stickers on the actual platform, which I will pull off shortly.

Great Write up, Sweet looking rig.

I got the 49x76 platform.
I modified an old yakima fairing I had laying around and it works awesome.

Its weird - that platform doesnt look much shorter than mine (if at all). I was debating between buying a fairing for a different rack and attach or just fab the whole thing. ;Yours looks great. In the mean time I heard of some folks running a strip of gorilla tape along the bottom of the cross bars to cover the gap/ reduce noise (visible on my picture of the trimmed shark fin). It was pretty quick to pull the rack, wash, and run a few strips of tape. I didnt think it was too loud before.... but its a bit quieter now so I wont mess with a fairing for a while.

[choice between FrontRunner and Rhino Rack]
[bad experience]

I added a picture of the trimming to my previous post with all the other pictures.
The choice is yours, and I havent ever seen/ experienced the Front Runner on a GX460 or Prado.
Sorry you had a bad experience with one guy, but I can say without a doubt that the guys at the Rhino Rack in Aurora, CO went above and beyond to get me set up (about an hour of questions and answers about dimensions, compatibility, and product support). Enough said.

Great Write up, Sweet looking rig.

Thanks Rob. After a few road trips, and having a few things get soaked in the rain, I did some research and picked up one of your Rooftop Cargo bags as well. Seems to be a well-made product and I look forward to getting caught in the rain to see how it does.

Can you please tell us about the Koni
What springs are you using in the front
Are they comfortable ?
Thank you

For researching suspension i spent a lot of time reading up what the guys in Australia are doing with their Prado 150s. They collected some great data that allowed me to make an informed decision on springs:
Suspension Database

Primary focus with spring selection was lift - not at the expense of "comfort." Also why I added airbags (increase stiffness only when I need it).
Dobinsons C59-724 (Front) and C59-725 (Rear) are "standard load" lift springs (not "heavy" springs - the link about will show spring rates for comparison)

As for shocks...I read about monotube, twintube, high pressure, low pressure, adjustable, progressive, digressive until I was good and confused. Im very happy with the Konis, but I dont have enough experience with other shocks to make a comparison.

I drive a 3/4 ton pick up a lot, so I am familiar with unloaded/ over sprung rear. With these springs and shocks the ride is still comfortable - just a bit firmer. As I may have mentioned before, I am not certain how much of the ride improvement came from Michelin tires - but they are great too.

A lot of info to take in. Still, no guarantee that i will make the right choice. Thank you for the info and your time.

Primary focus with spring selection was lift - not at the expense of "comfort." Also why I added airbags (increase stiffness only when I need it).

I did the exact same thing. I wanted to keep it riding like a Lexus (smooth and soft) when not loaded down, but needed the extra spring-rate when I had kids, dogs, and camping gear loaded up.

I went with a set of the AirLift 1000s and have been super happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom