Cummins R2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

China is going to be the largest car market in the world soon.

I would let others try out the first batch but I think a made-in-China Cummins should not be discounted immediately just because of location of manufacture. China makes millions of cars today and while they are not as well-made as Japanese cars, the quality is getting better fast. If the Cummins warranty is good, that's what matters, no?

I think the 2.8 is a tad small for any 60 or 80 Wagon if it is going to be lifted and carrying a heavy load. Would be fine in a Shorty Cruiser.

Toyota has put the 2.8 4-cyl 1GD-FTV in the Prado- but I wonder how many choose this option over the petrol/gas version.
The premium for diesel in the Prado is 700K JPY or around $6500 USD. Would you pay that much more for a diesel in your Prado? I probably would because the petrol option is the 2.7L 2TR-FE, which is down on torque by a lot compared to the 1GD.

The 1GD numbers are very similar to the Cummins 2.8 both in HP and torque.

The VDJ is too dirty for Japan's emissions, sadly.

China is going to be the largest car market in the world soon.

I would let others try out the first batch but I think a made-in-China Cummins should not be discounted immediately just because of location of manufacture. China makes millions of cars today and while they are not as well-made as Japanese cars, the quality is getting better fast. If the Cummins warranty is good, that's what matters, no?

I think the 2.8 is a tad small for any 60 or 80 Wagon if it is going to be lifted and carrying a heavy load. Would be fine in a Shorty Cruiser.

Toyota has put the 2.8 4-cyl 1GD-FTV in the Prado- but I wonder how many choose this option over the petrol/gas version.
The premium for diesel in the Prado is 700K JPY or around $6500 USD. Would you pay that much more for a diesel in your Prado? I probably would because the petrol option is the 2.7L 2TR-FE, which is down on torque by a lot compared to the 1GD.

The 1GD numbers are very similar to the Cummins 2.8 both in HP and torque.

The VDJ is too dirty for Japan's emissions, sadly.

The 1GD has more power and torque than the 1HD-T ever had!

In my country the Hilux used to be the biggest selling pickup. Recently surpassed by the Ranger. The Hilux is available in petrol but they are extremely rare, over 90% of sales are diesel. The Ranger doesn't even have a petrol option. The VW Amarok doesn't have a petrol option either.

They are all diesel.

The VDJ is a short term engine. Toyota basically stuck together 2 Avensis 2.2 diesels on one crank to make a V8 diesel. We'll see what they do when the 200 series lifespan is up.

I wouldn't call it short term. It's already 10 years old. Toyota will run it as long as they can.

Toyota really need a V6 diesel. If they pull one out with decent boost they won't need the V8 any more.
More compact, fits more vehicles, better fuel economy, better sales volumes to spread development cost etc.

We'll see when the 70 and 200 series are up for renewal. The 200 has already had it's mid life facelift and the new Landrover will either reinforce 70 series sales or cannabalise them.

Land Rover don't exist here any more in aus

Land Rover don't exist here any more in aus

Perhaps you should look a little harder. They certainly do exist in Australia. Their current discovery is the most awarded 4wd ever. New model discovery is about to land. New Defender should be leaked shortly. They only stopped selling the old one a year ago.

I thought you were talking about a defender. I dont think of a discovery as a 4wd more of a shopping cart for people with to much money

I thought you were talking about a defender. I dont think of a discovery as a 4wd more of a shopping cart for people with to much money

A stock discovery beats a stock defender offroad. Don't be fooled by their on-road ride height. Air suspension has lift at a button press, they have decent suspension travel and traction control that works better than lockers.

But the Defender was much easier to modify well past stock. Much like the 70 series.

Torfab will receive two of these engines tomorrow, and we plan to make a kit for the FJ40 and FJ60/62 in short order. It's pretty exciting to see something available for these trucks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1HD-T, but availability isn't great and you never know what you'll get when you buy one overseas.

The new cummins is bridging a crucial gap with this engine, and I'm looking forward to tuning options. The specs of the isf 2.8 are a bit more appealing, but it's essentially the same hardware but with a California tune.

Torfab will receive two of these engines tomorrow, and we plan to make a kit for the FJ40 and FJ60/62 in short order. It's pretty exciting to see something available for these trucks.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1HD-T, but availability isn't great and you never know what you'll get when you buy one overseas.

The new cummins is bridging a crucial gap with this engine, and I'm looking forward to tuning options. The specs of the isf 2.8 are a bit more appealing, but it's essentially the same hardware but with a California tune.

Can't wait to see the outcome of this. I would love to remove my SBC from my 40 and drop one of these in.
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Chinese plant. Story over.

No thanks.

Wouldn't it be sweet if a guy could get say a Japanese made baby Cummins, but without the computer stuff..?:D

IMG_5531.JPG

In all seriousness, having these new engines available with automotive type accessories is great news. That takes a huge amount of screwing around out of swaps. It's surprising to me that a big manufacturer like Cummins is stepping up to what is really a very small market.

I will be looking forward to see what you come up with Tor!

I think, especially after the VW problems, that small diesels in consumer vehicles are going the way of the DoDo...So manufacturers are looking for ways to boost revenue. Re-purposing an existing engine is one way to do it.

For small non-commercial diesels, initial cost and emissions treatment complexity will make them unattractive. High and on going maintenance costs - much higher than a comparable gas engines costs, loss of fuel efficiency advantage over gas due to highly efficient gas engines, stricter emissions regulations, etc, will end the diesel for most non-commercial users.

If this engine is priced at $12-15K, then add adapters, mounts, transmission and misc items, a V8 starts to look cheap!

Last I read, California has not approved this engine for any vehicle. According to Cummin's, vehicles newer than 1998 will not CA emissions requirements. My buddy is a sales rep for Cummin's here in SoCal. He said earlier vehicles are still up in the air also, as AQMD considers the engine a medium duty, and the emissions system and after treatment is insufficient to meet CA rules.

I hope it works out, but only time will tell. The days of simple and reliable "Old School" diesels are long gone.

Maybe it will the best swap ever...We'll see?

Reactions: SMG
How are the conversion kits coming along?

Eventually 2F parts will mostly all be unavailable, which will necessitate an engine swap. A small diesel is an attractive option to keep my FJ40 on the road.

I realize this is a bit of a necropost, but I'm sincerely interested in this option....if it's a good one.

How are the conversion kits coming along?

Eventually 2F parts will mostly all be unavailable, which will necessitate an engine swap. A small diesel is an attractive option to keep my FJ40 on the road.

I realize this is a bit of a necropost, but I'm sincerely interested in this option....if it's a good one.

Parts for the F engine are hard to find, whereas 2F parts are readily available and will be for the foreseeable future. A cummins engine is not the engine to keep your 2F "on the road" but only as a power upgrade and/or for the wow that is cool factor. An LS1 swap would be your most cost effective non Toyota power upgrade x1000.

Parts for the F engine are hard to find, whereas 2F parts are readily available and will be for the foreseeable future. A cummins engine is not the engine to keep your 2F "on the road" but only as a power upgrade and/or for the wow that is cool factor. An LS1 swap would be your most cost effective non Toyota power upgrade x1000.

Cost effective, sure. But a turbo diesel has more power and torque, and has more potential for fuel economy.

I use my 40 as a daily driver, and I take a lot of road trips too. So as far as that's concerned, I think a small turbo diesel is a better option.

I don't need a particular motor to give an old land cruiser "wow factor", I think it has that all on its own hahaha

Cost effective, sure. But a turbo diesel has more power and torque, and has more potential for fuel economy.

I use my 40 as a daily driver, and I take a lot of road trips too. So as far as that's concerned, I think a small turbo diesel is a better option.

I don't need a particular motor to give an old land cruiser "wow factor", I think it has that all on its own hahaha

Well, I have 2 40's and I would be wow that is cool if I or anyone had a turbo cummins, so not a slight. I am not your wife, no need to justify a turbo cunmins to me... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom