fj80 knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a fj80 front end minus third yesterday and am thinking on a fj60 housing i have or a d60 housing i have to use as a center. any thoughts would be helpful

I think you are missing the point of swapping axles to different configurations. "Most" folks use toyota 3rds and sometimes housings if they are not custom, then put D60 outers (kingpin,knuckle, ujoint, spindle, hub, etc...) on to maximize ground clearance and minimize breakage where it is most common (birfields). Do as you wish but IMO it would be pointless to use a D60 3rd and have toyota knuckles.

re

The issue is that i have a d60 housing from a cad dodge that was wrecked with a broken tube. The unit bearings and all other parts are junk. This would be an upgrade from a stock fj60 setup which i have now. Or use a fj60 housing and third which is more costly to upgrade with lockers or lsd further on down the road.

Using 80 series steering knuckles on anything other than a stock 80 series would be very foolish...they are FAR from an 'upgrade'....

I'm gonna dredge this up as it's the only thread I've found that comes close to what my questions are.

Can I throw an 80 birf on a 55 inner?
Is the axle tube the same diameter?
Can I cut the 55 knuckles off and replace them with the 80 series units
Ball, knuckle, birf locking hubs etc?

I have a 77 pig. I also have a 94 80 series that I intend on parting out/using for upgrades for the 55. It has a cracked housing but the knuckles, hubs and brakes are in perfect condition.

As poser has stated the 80 axle isn't much of an upgrade in terms of strength however the front and rear brakes are a significant improvement and I'd like to swap over my entire system. I'll be running 33's with a 2" lift to keep it legal over here so more strength isn't a high priority.

I'm gonna dredge this up as it's the only thread I've found that comes close to what my questions are.

Can I throw an 80 birf on a 55 inner?
Is the axle tube the same diameter?
Can I cut the 55 knuckles off and replace them with the 80 series units
Ball, knuckle, birf locking hubs etc?

I have a 77 pig. I also have a 94 80 series that I intend on parting out/using for upgrades for the 55. It has a cracked housing but the knuckles, hubs and brakes are in perfect condition.

As poser has stated the 80 axle isn't much of an upgrade in terms of strength however the front and rear brakes are a significant improvement and I'd like to swap over my entire system. I'll be running 33's with a 2" lift to keep it legal over here so more strength isn't a high priority.
I believe the inner axle spline that slide into the birfields are 24 spline. You can put 80 inners into the 55 3Rd, but not the 55 inners into the 80 birfs. You will need custom length 24 spline inners. The knuckle balls can be put on the 55 housing, you will have to machine down the ball sleeve a little. If you got a fj60 front housing, you could install 4plus products axle sleeves into each end and you would have the width of a front 80 axle. You would have to get custom inners for each side. Trail gear could make those for you.

I believe the inner axle spline that slide into the birfields are 24 spline. You can put 80 inners into the 55 3Rd, but not the 55 inners into the 80 birfs. You will need custom length 24 spline inners. The knuckle balls can be put on the 55 housing, you will have to machine down the ball sleeve a little. If you got a fj60 front housing, you could install 4plus products axle sleeves into each end and you would have the width of a front 80 axle. You would have to get custom inners for each side. Trail gear could make those for you.

I'd like to keep the width to the same as original so it looks like I'm up for custom length inners.

Cheers for the info.

Although looking at the trailgear website, would it be possible to run fj40 30 spline inners to fj80 30 spline birfs?

Assuming of course that I make sure I weld the knuckle balls in the correct position.

They make fj80 30 spline birfs? I thought they were 24 spline?
According to the trailgear website they have upgrade 30 spline inners and for the 80. I assume the 30 spline 80 birfs would match the 30 spline 40 inners.
Allowing me to weld 80 knuckle balls on and run a 40 width axle with a 9" diff and 80 series brakes.

Huh interesting. If you post this in the hard core section you will get more replies. The other issue will be steering. You may need. High steer kit or something. Personally I would make the front close to fj80 width and then you can use the fj80 rear axle as well. You could get rims that are recessed more to keep track width narrower.

Huh interesting. If you post this in the hard core section you will get more replies. The other issue will be steering. You may need. High steer kit or something. Personally I would make the front close to fj80 width and then you can use the fj80 rear axle as well. You could get rims that are recessed more to keep track width narrower.

Thanks, I'll pose the question over there and see what they think. Unfortunately my 80s rear axle is shot, bearings spun and wrote off a spindle. My 55 has a FF rear already so I'll be making brackets to mount 80 series disc calipers on it, hence my desire to keep the front stock width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom