Happy Memorial Day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please take a moment to remember those we've lost and those who have been most adversely impacted by their time in service to our country.

Also, remember that less than 1% of Americans actually serve...

You might also pay particular attention to the various proposed veterans-related budget cuts, beginning on page 2

This isn't how to honor veterans
This isn't how to honor veterans (opinion) - CNN.com

A friend and some guys started this in 2011 ... they had 50 people show up

The next year the Young Marine group joined in and there was maybe 100 people that year

This year we are a few members stronger... and 800-900 people showed up

Flag placing at the Saratoga National Cemetery

14,000+ remembered

IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2295.JPG
IMG_2298.JPG

200+ miles of driving, nine hours elapsed, and three cemeteries visited with my son; both of us in our BSA Class A's.

First, we stopped to post flags at the grave of my step-grandfather "Nonno" who served in WWII as a PBY radio operator. Sent a picture and TXT to Nonni, who was very pleased that we made the visit.

Next stop was Oak Hill Memorial Park in San Jose, to meet 200+ Boy and Girl Scouts posting flags on the graves of the veterans. One grave which touched a number of us, was that of the pilot from Flight 93, Captain Jason Dahl. While moving from one section to another, I spotted his headstone, and we all spent a few minutes discussing with the boys about 9/11 and those who lost their lives on that day and in the war on terror.

Our final stop was to bring my boy to meet my grandparents who were laid to rest in the San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery. Grandpa served in WWII as a LT, charged with several PT-style boats off of the east coast. His first duty was searching for German subs, then he was tasked with fishing pilots in training from Cherry Point who ditched their planes at sea. My son had never met his great-grandparents, as they passed a year before he was born. We were able to reach my mom for a short facetime call, which was a surprise to her, and put a big smile on her face that we took the time to go see her parents.

full

The best part was spending time with my son and instilling a respect for those who have served, and getting to talk with him about the sacrifices of others...not only in our family, but with all military families. His comment to me on the way home was that this was one of the "best days ever" .... priceless.

Today was placing a wreath at President Chester Arthur grave site

For some reason the commandant of our MCL wanted me to say a few words ... I was short on the speech ... my buddy asked if next time I could do it alil longer ... I suggested we get a politician :)

IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom