What on Earth is wrong with my axles?!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dreaded front popping sound under low speed has returned. Worse this time. I changed my front diff support last week and that helped for about a day. I cannot explain why i have a knocking where my drivers side axle meets the tube that goes to the diff. The passenger side is not as loose but it's getting there. Whats even more bizarre is that the knocking was worse when the truck was on ramps. Can anyone provide some insight or is the best thing to tear it apart to see what the eff this is?

I have a video but the site won't let me upload it

upload to youtube and then link it here.

The past year I was driving over more pot holes than the truck has ever been through when I took it to Michigan.

Does that mean the axle itself is probably ok?

How old is the CV axle? is it OEM?

If you get the axle shaft (number-7), slide it into your existing CV axle. if you feel a play then you'll also need a new CV axle. Also, check the bearing. It may be the culprit. I think there should be a slight play even if you get an OEM CV axle and the axle shaft.

Everything in there is OG except for a reboot a few years back. It has 202k on the clock.

So basically I need to tear everything apart anyway to see what's in there.

In order to get the axle, shaft and bearing out do I have to pop both upper and lower control arms off the knuckle? How few of things can I take apart to get in there?

Looking at the way the tube is setup, you'll definitely have to remove the driver side CV axle. So disconnect the upper ball joint from the knuckle, ABS sensor and the caliper. That's all I did to remove the CV axle. I never removed the tube from the diff so I am not sure how to remove it. But looking at the image, there are 4 bolts holding this tube to the diff housing. Also, a mount is attached to the tub towards the driver side. Once you get these out, the tube should slide out as you are pulling out the CV axle

One more thing, is the bearing loose on that axle shaft like a wheel bearing? Or will I need a press to yank it off?

532e78aa7617f71658cb3ed6.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

It should come out if you gently tap it. Leave the tube vertical on a soft wood. Make sure the entire surface of the tube sits flat on the piece of wood. This prevents any bending.

This could be the loud bang we all hear when going between R and D. Let us all know how this repair helps this annoying bang sound. If it works, I'll get this done. If you could, please document each step. Take pictures and post it here. Thanks.

Alright so I'm balls deep with this right now and I don't know what I should continue with. I have the CV out and the threads on both the CV and the tube side look like they should. What's interested is that the "snap ring" on the tube side was really loose and didn't even go all the way around. I have a hard time believing that's the way it should be. I'm also having a hard time getting the seal out of the tube, I don't know if I just need to give it more force, I'm just worried about having to put a new one in later.

IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG

thanks for the pictures.

The snap-ring should be loose but should not fall out of the axle. You can bend the snap ring a bit while it is outside the CV axle and put it back on the CV axle. When you are installing the CV axle, set the snap-ring with its opening pointing 6'O clock and apply a decent amount of grease on to it so it stays with the CV axle.

The axle oil seal come out will a pull. You can drive two wood screw bolts right on to the oil seal (take special care that the bolt won't touch the metal housing tube) and pull.

If this is the first time the diff is coming out of the truck, don't be surprised how tight those two 17 mm nuts/bolts holding the tube and the frame mount arm. I recomment taking the tube with the mounting arm together.

thanks for the pictures.

The snap-ring should be loose but should not fall out of the axle. You can bend the snap ring a bit while it is outside the CV axle and put it back on the CV axle. When you are installing the CV axle, set the snap-ring with its opening pointing 6'O clock and apply a decent amount of grease on to it so it stays with the CV axle.

The axle oil seal come out will a pull. You can drive two wood screw bolts right on to the oil seal (take special care that the bolt won't touch the metal housing tube) and pull.

If this is the first time the diff is coming out of the truck, don't be surprised how tight those two 17 mm nuts/bolts holding the tube and the frame mount arm. I recomment taking the tube with the mounting arm together.

Well what I'm wondering is if the snap ring is even the right one that's supposed to be there? It doesn't even look like a snap ring.

The other thing is if the threads on the cv and tube look good what would I be replacing?

Your first picture posted today at 1:13 PM is the correct snap ring. That is how the snap ring looks like on a CV.

The fact that your driver side CV moving up and down right at the end of that tube indicates one or all of the followings
1) Worn out bearing (try to move the shaft inside the tube up and down: if it is moving significantly, then the problem is the bearing)
2) Wear on the CV axle shaft (see picture)
3) Wear on the inside axle shaft (where the CV is resting) (see the 2nd picture)

IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

Hard to say the condition of the CV. I highly suspect the bearing is the culprit.

Notice: tThere are two snap rings. One is visible in your picture too: look right below the valley of letter V in CV in the second picture that I posted. It is holding the axle shaft to the bearing. The other (behind the oil seal) is holding the bearing to the housing tube.

Use only OEM bearing and the oil seal.

Last edited:
So I diving deeper. Got the shaft out (was able to leave the tube in). The bearing is shot. I can move it side to side if I am pressing straight down on it. (I'm assuming there's not supposed to be any play in any direction). The shaft and the CV fit snug together and there is no play when twisted opposite directions. This has got to be where that knocking was.

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

Good job! Did the bearing come together with the axle shaft?

Glad to hear the grooves are good. The bearing should not have any play, so like we predicted, it could be the issue.

Do you also find any play (up and down: if you grab the joint and lift do you feel a play) at the CV and axle shaft joint? this is not the twist as you stated.

Bearing is still on axle shaft, I have to knock it off tomorrow. I'm just going to order the bearing, not the shaft

Don't think so. The only play I've been able to easily find is at the bearing. None at the CV and axle joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom