Builds mattv94's build and adventure thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I had been putting off creating this thread, but I figured it had to be done eventually for the sake of future generation's internet-archeology efforts to be able to see how early 21st century men spent their time and money.

And perhaps someone will learn from my choices and mistakes. Since I'm a total 4x4 n00b probably more of the latter (this is my first rig ever)

I'm fairly new to Washington. I moved here for my job.

Here's my FJC bone-stock back in Missouri just before moving. 2008 model off-road package (16" wheels, locker, etc.)

5EwohDu.jpg

How it sits now. Photo taken at Naches while letting another group pass:

UVGWjkD.jpg

R.I.P rear bumper wing. Claimed by Naches

h6QRi9p.jpg

Mods so far:

FrontRunner Slimline II roof rack w/ shovel and hi-lift mount
OPOR sliders (bought 2nd hand unused for a steal)
Old Man EMU light suspension kit front and rear
SPC upper control arms
All Pro rear lower links and the skids for the front and rear
Generic snorkel
diff breather raised.

On the to-do list is a dual battery setup, helton hot water heater, DIY drawers, rear door drop down table, CB install, etc.

Once my bumpers are ripped off and/or I have money burning a hole in my pocket I'll sell my current suspension setup and go with something better to accommodate dual bumpers with a winch. I'm thinking Metal Tech's tube front bumper and Demello's rear aluminum bumper.

I also want to do an 8.2" swap. Good time to regear and add a front locker. I'm being overly cautious with my vehicle weight until I do the swap.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm hoping to get another 8 years of adventure out of my FJC before it's retired to being a 2nd vehicle.

I'll throw a few Qs to the group:

What's a good choice for a 2nd battery tray? I'm aware of the Dirty Parts one. Is there some other better choice I'm oblivious to?

What's your preference on mounting an ARB compressor? Assuming the passenger-side firewall corner is taken by the 2nd battery. Two viable spots I know of are in front of the brake master cylinder and on the rear side panels utilizing a MOLLE rack.

Nice buildup.
I forget the name of my tray, but a forum member on fjcruiserforums site modified one for me, and helped install it.

Now for the ARB compressor, this is what I did.
I used the Springtail side rack to hold the compressor and a one gallon ARB tank.
I also have the same siderack on the drivers side to hold a Powertank C02 bottle.
A few mods from 7-25-06

With the compressor in your rig, it will stay a lot cleaner.
Here is the URL too showing more of the install before I added the tank.
A few mods from 7-25-06

10.jpg

Yeah, I think I like your solution the best.

Probably have racks on both sides. A compressor/tank on one side and my first aid kit/ fire extinguisher on the other.

On another note... I noticed with a full tank of gas that I have a driver side lean of about 1 inch. I knew about the notorious FJ lean, but this is a bit more than I was expecting. I was expecting something in the ballpark of 1/8" to 1/4".

I'm an idiot who needs to swap his front coilovers. Didn't pay enough attention to part numbers when installing.

Last edited:
Been thinking about my next mod and I'm thinking it needs to be storage since duffel bags just aren't cutting it any longer....

What I have in mind:

Removing rear seats and having the drawers in the rear. Wanting the top of the drawers to sit flush with the top of the usual storage compartments. With the rear seats removed create a flat floor that extends to the back of front seats so that my hilift, CV axle, breaker bar, etc. can be stashed away.

Beneath the floor (where the seat mounting brackets are) will be small little cubby storage spots for odds and ends that don't need to be accessed often. They will be accessed with a top lid having a hole to get a finger in and pull them out. No reason to be hinged I don't think.

Form will be something like this I imagine:

Img_8666.jpg

Any thoughts?

Looks like a solid plan. I've seen it done before with great results. The only downside is that you may not be able to recline the front seats as much as you can now, once you have a structure behind them.

That's one thing I'm being mindful of. I don't think I'll have the structure pressing up against the seats, probably keep about 2 inches of clearance so a taller passenger has a bit of room to work with.

Now to find a local carpenter :)

Installed my trans cooler. used Hayden 678 and 10 feet of Gates 27057 hose.

Followed these instructions:

Installing a Transmission Cooler - instructions with pics - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

That writeup covers Hayden 679 which is a bit larger and necessitates removing the horn and A/C line bracket. I didn't have to do that.

I also used leftover hose to make little sleeves so that the hose has no metal contact.

Instead of filling my trans the proper way I filled the cooler inlet line up with ATF until the bottom line was oozing out. Then I hose clamped them down. Getting a flush soon anyways.

Once you have the radiator clocked backwards you can fit your hands down there to secure your glorified zip ties to the A/C condenser. I have chicken wrists so this was easy. If your hands are not so little I'd suggest child labor.

0RNcIOf.jpg

Since a picture is worth a thousand words:

y2l1fIo.jpg

Y6VgpRG.jpg

Drove East on I-90 to test the trans cooler out. Never went too hot. Works just like I wanted.

Pulled off on one of the forest roads to walk around and snap a few pics. I neatly kept the road accessible to Nissan Altimas out of the picture. Just like those Instagram "overland bros" and their sixty hashtags. #stocktires #2high #igloocooler

On a side note, I've had my snorkel on for 5000 miles now. Air filter is basically spotless. Contrast that to pre-snorkel I managed to gum up a filter in one weekend of dry summer mild wheeling

wbWOMRi.jpg

E4yK-YUnYd3FDNYLgULhBwwFKQM366iXBfe5QWGsiiO7BkMbqQtApie5mZPDikhYlcAjPtkdEgSHPCGHYy4-FVTpCJC7lD3zFOnPyB-sm5NsRBdb9eqLYs7m4dhc9S-Hn_pSfv-Kh8wv7uSJWoEjmz6kX8OdHzrUq6MdAM8eIbVe7kXDsV9WvcE4aXH-xJgrd0ANR2W2bVn42W_Y2XH9KRMs1du6I19Fwy8ASH8Rp62bwTK-Spwyo6TfblXL6lju9iQ-Ms6be5PXL0EK_rXiOIgf4a4RDsRzvQzZIGX_RTwTqxxEXyLBkffp6eT4UeSXsKbelrN9bIMc8TEwvKC1sVG0DAq-EMIW4XxeQWihRapahPD0sFaJQeIx4lgWEYNA7OAUXTSOmDUVLbRHZ7VsJIvx2aZHIUdqHDGPilpIPfPovHCGIacs8MoXCkJifszi8o6eoQyYalKwg2pxFvpDhoT3utxUEQHa78KKBBm6HhQpSo3Ah4fScC0cc5nzKMUq4Z_FSvpztZ5TsTZ2qZwIIyT3DyasTJnnqJGy-xkIUCQdOnrA5JnbR6dTJu1Av1-HcBlY4F8IM000SB54CvbU_lYkqMLNMJLPSouXPY1XUioY1P2Xxeqx=w874-h1552-no

Finished my CB install. Wired it exactly like everyone else with the Cobra 75 WX ST model.

Copper anti-seize on the plastic has since been cleaned up.

h/t @lgrt for the cool install video.

2jnVSHD3t0oBs8mWGNrrnA4HQlQIybxG-NlB6ZhcIuddDDaYCC0sAnegoWUqBFSW89SLIkuek7OcUZUeOg2CB1m71OzXkODbVB9qyLWYMR7A09vk0E7Y8szy5ZwEDyujEAXNrdBI09GKykofn0l-7nmFYi1nDZOwxeJCjwJ7QBfI3PckVIFA0AwcyS3FeNmUv3qFXWln3W4y0lK89enhbg05MPzVlrtvYZJkdQZL2C7bUJJdGTTZyiu7_F8vcKntRyLGedtOXuACEJ3tSO5_tNDxnT-WtqsSN2mxzE_IDL3IiAI28pNT1NalhfvuJjP9-eqOfDEuFt5SJ8v8-BQR1GtYDwRD_XoM9DN_Xiz65bR1_aUdpm5bZRNxfDspueUqOU0bqpw8tu6mwH49jxd9KN2Hzl36ZE9sESuo4DBmQnjieB4WqH3LhIKPkSp24xve9V6ktOwWq6AqlUafkn0TtV3TNqvDJXRcDPNtoh7mR5v0ceCIHPLARd2JAwXjdrIQo95qb7FX_ByxpER93r2honBtyfCQOG6yquqJKi5IV21ReUrZJ3XULC-mb_N7JnvQqsF6nvqXJwx0lqwnvajCziEY9r1svqcVKIDNUkUEogyIRL0-UbC-=w2760-h1552-no

Springtail Solutions side rack installed. Have the rear door drop down table ready to install but it's been hot lately and my apt has no A/C so I much prefer to cruise around in my "air conditioned off-road king's throne"

Last edited:
b6tnq0EepbwANlko95hadXAv_nnscs85t-xVXg3TkEGiffazs04lnocDPfI_b5SjTSZAi_AlRrX-Qs9GpLv9SV4_Xo5yM97yxGjSAiHmKYPaK5OsIUmr_qZ5366S-t-u_RI-28BXCOVOmQMwVOxbS-U2UjRtByGn0SOreqJB9rDpQ0ZHNSdLF9ZF1PWef15649ATtg6Dop567dxgCTRzgFhzgxdTf6cWDqnX1ED0wPCdGUx7MxeyaMv6T1Of0xl86skNtbqIpAM9lPTDCIBRpQ1ruMjYadmAUcy_ION5kvD3hdep4XniEwE1uJVCXmbacDgODskx4EazRO5m_ynTofbD79If9xKdtHVoyvmitvW4jzUYVY0y2syjwry6LihHEcR1OPzCOq7FSc3chvYXtOLzrFVXNUSF-adk1Q8_qoJFxFUIdRJpg8aziHngv8xH1Q2Rl3dG3Z_2Im3vDobhNa5QRIaVfseuN6mgM5J4vMHnC7EUAyxKiNOPHmjSluwUU7HoG0qa3ZgTfOZ71j9AJT5G3a8KWopVoHnxm1NC405kMfeWNywVSA41wd1roeHchdBRO9wYxJTz_vHL2jacWiHsA_RlMWnwKrSKVR1onamZjKaSXCVI=w874-h1552-no

Using local real estate prices the square footage on my roof rack is worth anywhere from $7700 to $12000. Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Please nobody tell King County or else they're going to want to send a property tax bill :rolleyes:

Also noticed the sealant material in some spots around my windshield is in need of a touch up.

That's a job for.... tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom