Monstaliner Bedliner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi do you have any more pictures of your monstaliner up close. The texture you achieved is very intriguing. You mentioned that you sprayed with the nicer gun at 70-75psi. Did you also reduce it with MEK or anything. I am hoping to gain some clarity on how you were able to achieve the texture you wanted.

Thanks!

I reduced it with acetone since I don't think MEK is available in CA. About 8oz per gallon of monstaliner. Here are a couple more pics with a penny for scale:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks, long project of rust repair and I was really looking for a finish that accomplished a few things:

1. I did not want to spray. I do not have a good workspace to do that and after brush / rolling everything I feel like it is better sealed than when I had sprayed parts.
2. I wanted a finish that at best could be hosed off. I painted it "nice" 15 years ago and never waxed or really washed it, it's a tool and I use it.
3. I did not want it to look too rough. In hindsight I wish I had experimented more but it is tough with the pot life. I did the roof with the monstaliner rollers so it has more texture and then moved to the small foam rollers for the rest. The larger areas like the hood would be easier with a smooth foam 9" roller.
20170505_225659.jpg
20170505_225829.jpg
20170505_225903.jpg
20170505_225929.jpg

Thanks, long project of rust repair and I was really looking for a finish that accomplished a few things:

1. I did not want to spray. I do not have a good workspace to do that and after brush / rolling everything I feel like it is better sealed than when I had sprayed parts.
2. I wanted a finish that at best could be hosed off. I painted it "nice" 15 years ago and never waxed or really washed it, it's a tool and I use it.
3. I did not want it to look too rough. In hindsight I wish I had experimented more but it is tough with the pot life. I did the roof with the monstaliner rollers so it has more texture and then moved to the small foam rollers for the rest. The larger areas like the hood would be easier with a smooth foam 9" roller.View attachment 1454221 View attachment 1454222 View attachment 1454223 View attachment 1454224
I was all set to spray raptorliner until I saw these pics. Wow, that looks amazing. Has anyone tried tinting it with a metallic paint, like Toyota 8k0 nightshadow pearl @magnetman?

Damn that looks incredible @salvage60!!! You did a stellar job on it.. I take it you took everything apart/off and painted?

20161225_102913.jpg
20161228_203141.jpg
20170326_163150.jpg
20170327_191430.jpg
Thanks, It passed the 25mph and 20 ft test. I have had this truck since 98 and had repainted it once shortly after I got it. Years of trips, surfboards, kayaks, and not much love the body had some pretty bad rough spots. I started with the roof repairs and somehow ended up unbolting just about everything plus some to get at the cancer. Due to working in a tight space I primed everything with chassis saver and then went at it with the monstaliner, first the interior, then the jambs and inside of the doors / hatches, and last the exterior. Longer project than I planned on but plan on getting at least another decade out of it.

View attachment 1456311 View attachment 1456312 View attachment 1456313 View attachment 1456314 Thanks, It passed the 25mph and 20 ft test. I have had this truck since 98 and had repainted it once shortly after I got it. Years of trips, surfboards, kayaks, and not much love the body had some pretty bad rough spots. I started with the roof repairs and somehow ended up unbolting just about everything plus some to get at the cancer. Due to working in a tight space I primed everything with chassis saver and then went at it with the monstaliner, first the interior, then the jambs and inside of the doors / hatches, and last the exterior. Longer project than I planned on but plan on getting at least another decade out of it.
Holy crap. That looks like a ton of work. But wow, it turned out incredible! Very nice job!!

Dear lord, you got after it! I thought maybe a couple things off here and there but DAMN!! Kudos to you, that thing will never rust now!

@magnetman I need help. Messed up my order and got pyroclastic instead of black. Need black ASAP..... I know, on memorial day weekend....

I have a 4 day window to blow the black on the epoxy primer, so time is fleeting.

Anyone have any black and near KC? Need enough to do about quart or two.

Thanks,

Hey, just remembered that we can tint monstaliner with base from paint shop. will that work for black also?

Hey, just remembered that we can tint monstaliner with base from paint shop. will that work for black also?
I highly doubt you'll get an answer from him in time. He seems to be on this board so very infrequently. He came on here last simply to announce he had matched Cygnus White, and it was a good long while prior to that that he was seen or heard from. - If you have tintable ML on hand - tint it black (with the no binders added), and keep your project rolling. ~Skydog

Thanks @Skydog I also emailed him, so trying all options at this time.

I am trying all local resources; however, I have a feeling that I will be off to the paint store today.

Yeah you are better off with the paint store. But that may be difficult as well with the holiday. Grab the pigment only (like noted in the first few pages) and just toss the pyroclastic tint.

Monstalined with lady in red over the previously black bed liner along the bottom of my rig. So, this is what it looks like next to faded freeborn red. Note that the recently replaced fender is newly painted with a knock off freeborn red color, so there are three shades going on here. I plan to paint over the fainted doors and rear quarter with newer paint too
fj62 paint0001.JPG

monsta line is below tail lights. I did paint above it with the newer freeborn red color spray can. For some reason it looks like a better match in this exposure.
back fj62.JPG

@salvage60 Your cruiser looks fantastic. I really like the texture over regular monstaliner. I've got clear coat and "multiple colored body panel" issues :D so I'm looking to coat mine soon. How did you get in the tight spots and keep the texture working for you?

Just getting close to starting on paint for mine!
- I've decided to cover the LX450's panel holds w/ stainless steel tap.
- Going to be using the gun and spraying this

Had a question - for order of application:
- Do you sand / MEK / theeeeeen lay down the stainless steel tape over the holes prior to going to town?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom