My quest for a comfy camp chair. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use the Front Runner directors chair everywhere front the beach to the pavement. The chair packs small, breaks down quick and easy, vented in the contact areas to avoid sweating, and is super solid.

expander_views.jpg

I have one similar that that Phil, but it from Sierra Expeditions years ago.
I usually keep it in the rig behind the passenger seat, but have not used it in awhile.
I shall dig it out today :bounce:

@LandCruiserPhil are all the brackets metal holding it together? We had some REI versions and loved them, but the brackets hokding the back to the seat was plastic and they cracked on one making it a little sketchy and a bit of a gamble to sit in some times. Price looks reasonable. If they are all metal construction I may have to grab a couple.

@LandCruiserPhil are all the brackets metal holding it together? We had some REI versions and loved them, but the brackets hokding the back to the seat was plastic and they cracked on one making it a little sketchy and a bit of a gamble to sit in some times. Price looks reasonable. If they are all metal construction I may have to grab a couple.

Metal I have used the same chair for 4 years

IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
I love the old aluminum web chairs and have a couple of them but I camp on river gravel bars a lot and the rocks are hard on the aluminum "feet" so I found the REI kingdom chair . I love it, very durable and comfortable

I have had many chairs and love the Wilderness recliner brand. Have had used and abused them for many years,. They are great but bulky for taking in the land cruiser. Highly recommend them but now use the Front Runner Expander Chair for Cruiser camping. The wilderness recliner comes out for travel trailer use only

Mike at American Camp Chair modeled them after an old pair of South African chairs I've had for ages. His version is even better, and more comfortable. The Kermit Chair is also a brilliant design. I highly recommend the leg extensions. Either of these chairs will last decades, rather than becoming land fill in two or three years.

still to this day, my most comfortable camp chair is the thermorest lounger. Basically it fits over your thermorest air mattress. you put the 4 little support poles in it and it turns into a super comfortable air filled chair. Love it.

When you are done sitting, you unclip the two side clips, roll it out and sleep.

Blue Ridge Chair Works makes a nice chair, little pricey tho..we bought 2 around 6 yrs back because mettle chairs and to many folding parts are just to much maintenance while living on the shore.

Yes, I have one of them I bought from Mike at Autohome when they first came out.
It is one of the most comfortable chairs I have sat in.
I also have a nice Blue Ridge Chair Works one, I like it too.
The Blue Ridge Chair | Blue Ridge Chair

Blue%20Ridge%20Chair%20Folding%20Instructions%20copy.jpg

I picked up six of those awhile ago for $4 a piece. They look like they got wet, but the canvas seems intact. It took me a bit to figure how to set it up but it's pretty comfortable.

Chad

I have one similar that that Phil, but it from Sierra Expeditions years ago.
I usually keep it in the rig behind the passenger seat, but have not used it in awhile.
I shall dig it out today :bounce:

I have two of the Sierra Expedition chairs that have been everywhere from camping to horse shows to concerts and are still in great shape if you don't count the stains in the fabric. They stow nice, are easy to get out of and so much better than those uncomfortable chinese wal mart chairs. Have had them five or six years I believe.

I picked up six of those awhile ago for $4 a piece. They look like they got wet, but the canvas seems intact. It took me a bit to figure how to set it up but it's pretty comfortable.

Chad
That is a heck of a price, I paid full price for mine, but I like the chair a lot.
I have two of the Sierra Expedition chairs that have been everywhere from camping to horse shows to concerts and are still in great shape if you don't count the stains in the fabric. They stow nice, are easy to get out of and so much better than those uncomfortable chinese wal mart chairs. Have had them five or six years I believe.
Yes, I like how they fold flat and hardly take up any room in the rig.
Gotta throw it out in the rig today, doing a little prepacking for upcoming vacation.

Historically I had a chair like the Front Runner Phil shared. It was nice to pack and all metal. Shoot, that was 30 years ago. What chair I use depends on my use. For concerts and camp fires a chair like this one works for me. It packs in a bag and is easy to shoulder. https://www.rei.com/product/847137/rei-co-op-camp-xtra-chair.

But for a Baja beach, this is my only choice. Chairs like the one above are too vertical for my mood.

Bajabeachbum.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom