Should I turn my AC into onboard air compressor?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been debating sacrificing my AC so I can do a cost efficient on-board air system. I can't remember the last time I ran the AC and we prefer to have the windows down.

It can be done, but lubrication is a problem.

It can be done, but lubrication is a problem.

From the tech articles I can find, they all say that same thing. Some guys plum a line from valve cover into the compressor, and then I read where some guys just add oil into themselves after every 1-2 hours of use. I'm not sure which is easier/better. 1-2 hours would take me probably a month, unless of major breakdown! Another thing is air tank.... or no tank? 90% of usage would be for tire inflation.

If your just airing up tires then I would use a 12v compressor. The ac compressor is a little overkill just for that. If your using air tools and stuff, a ac compressor works great.

X2 get a decent 12 compressor, they cope with airing up tires pretty well.
I have an ARB and it pumps 35s from 12psi, to 25psi in a couple of minutes each.

If I'm spending a day off-road, I'll air down to 25ish psi, down as low as 12psi if warranted.
Then for the drive home, I'll air up to 25ish again until I hit the first servo then pump tires up to 36 psi. It's rare I'll use the 12v compressor to pump tires up to road pressures

you would want to have an oil separator downstream if you add oil manually to the compressor?

Is thread meant as some sort of humblebrag towards those of us in Phoenix?

Screw you, buddy.

No...... screw you! You get the nice weather, and premier wheeling locations in the land! Go jump off a bridge... oh s***, not much water there, jump off a cliff! Yea... a cliff! Lol

York vs any electric compressor isn't even close when it comes to time to fill.

See, that's my reasoning! I have a co2 set-up and a 12volt...... but I want faster! And... not have to refill it! But I've "heard" the stock Toyota compressor on the 91's (mine) are just as, if not a bit more, quick as a York...... You being the "wizard", what's your thought? Is a tank mandatory for filling tires, or can that be added later?

No...... screw you! You get the nice weather, and premier wheeling locations in the land! Go jump off a bridge... oh s***, not much water there, jump off a cliff! Yea... a cliff! Lol

You know what? I know where there's a bridge, so maybe I will!

It's all rocky in the bottom so I'll probably break something too. So there!

See, that's my reasoning! I have a co2 set-up and a 12volt...... but I want faster! And... not have to refill it! But I've "heard" the stock Toyota compressor on the 91's (mine) are just as, if not a bit more, quick as a York...... You being the "wizard", what's your thought? Is a tank mandatory for filling tires, or can that be added later?

I've only seen one thread on it on another site and IIRC the stock compressor put out around 6.5CFM which put it well under the York's 9.5 @ 2200 RPM. Unless I lived it Nova Scotia, Alaska or the Arctic Circle, I'd never intentionally disable a working AC system.

You know what? I know where there's a bridge, so maybe I will!

It's all rocky in the bottom so I'll probably break something too. So there!

Well s***..... if there's rocks on the bottom, forget it. No need for injuries, wouldn't be able to mess with the Cruiser!

I've only seen one thread on it on another site and IIRC the stock compressor put out around 6.5CFM which put it well under the York's 9.5 @ 2200 RPM. Unless I lived it Nova Scotia, Alaska or the Arctic Circle, I'd never intentionally disable a working AC system.

Heck, I live on the coast of Southern NC, about 25 minutes out of Myrtle Beach (crack city USA), and I cannot remember the last time I used it, but I'm concerned that if I were to ever sell it, the value would take a big hit without it. Then again, most "built" wheelers don't return near what you put into them. Decisions, decisions

Heck, I live on the coast of Southern NC, about 25 minutes out of Myrtle Beach (crack city USA), and I cannot remember the last time I used it, but I'm concerned that if I were to ever sell it, the value would take a big hit without it. Then again, most "built" wheelers don't return near what you put into them. Decisions, decisions

You get high humidty, that's the ideal time to be running your AC

Frankly, the time you spend doing the conversion will be hours. Not to mention the time researching it and discussing it in this thread.

So you waste a few minutes airing up each time you go wheeling. Add up those few minutes and figure out how many times you have to go wheeling to offset the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom