LX 450 Supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am completely rebuilding my 97 engine including +1mm pistons
I have a brand new SC kit Im considering installing
Any recommendations about breaking engine in before SC or not?

I waited 5000miles before installing the SC after my rebuilt. I had a ton of $$$$$ into the build so I wanted proper break in before introducing boost. The only thing I did to save myself a huge amount of frustration was I installed the new crank pulley first and just ran it til it was ready for the SC. At that point it's just bolt on.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Machining and tolerances are much better now than they used to be that a break in period is kind of moot. I know many engine builders that will take a brand new built engine and put it straight on the engine dyno for full WOT passes.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Machining and tolerances are much better now than they used to be that a break in period is kind of moot. I know many engine builders that will take a brand new built engine and put it straight on the engine dyno for full WOT passes.

As a former engine rebuilder it's not something I would do. Machining and tolerances for our trucks, are exactly the same today as they were 25 years ago when these motors came out. Block decking hasn't changed, line boring hasn't changed, 3-angle valve grinding hasn't changed, etc. In motors made today I'd say that is probably true that the motors are designed to go balls out right out of the crate. But after taking apart enough low mileage SBCs you could see where everything starts seating and how adding things like nitrous to the mix, early in the motor's life, could change how an engine breaks in. In today's vehicles break-in doesn't seem to be a big deal as much.

Just sell me the supercharger. You'll be happy you did.

Just sell me the supercharger. You'll be happy you did.

Ill keep that in mind as I believe I purchased one of the last kits manufactured.

What are the odds of being satisfied with port/polish, balanced, +1mm, cometic hg, being enough performance upgrade on my 300k LX?

33", 2 1/2", Icon 2, 410, ARB lockers
Expedition, no towing....California based

I think you'll like it. It won't be crazy power, but adequate. Since I missed out on the SC for the LC, I'm probably going the LS route. Not cheap.

I think you'll like it. It won't be crazy power, but adequate. Since I missed out on the SC for the LC, I'm probably going the LS route. Not cheap.
Meaning Ill like it without adding SC or?

Meaning Ill like it without adding SC or?
With. I have one on my Tacoma and love it. However, I've made other mods in the search for even more power. It's kinda quick now. I like speed. LC isn't about speed.

I am completely rebuilding my 97 engine including +1mm pistons
I have a brand new SC kit Im considering installing
Any recommendations about breaking engine in before SC or not?

At least give it the gold standard break in. 500 miles on cheap mineral oil, flog the crap out of it at the 500 mark. Take it for a few passes down a hwy on ramp to get the rpm's up. After that, go home, change to whatever oil suits you and drive it.

What are the odds of being satisfied with port/polish, balanced, +1mm, cometic hg, being enough performance upgrade on my 300k LX?

Since I did exactly that and then some...I think you'll be happy ;)

Engine Rebuilding options for S/C

image-1458603900-jpg.615447

At least give it the gold standard break in. 500 miles on cheap mineral oil, flog the crap out of it at the 500 mark. Take it for a few passes down a hwy on ramp to get the rpm's up. After that, go home, change to whatever oil suits you and drive it.
That is what I did for my new engine with SC. I goes like a stabbed 2.5 ton rat :)

IF you can control your right foot, just put the damn SC on now and learn how to drive it without applying any boost til you feel it is properly broken in. If you have a boost gauge, it is not hard to stay running as NA whenever you want.

Ill keep that in mind as I believe I purchased one of the last kits manufactured.

33", 2 1/2", Icon 2, 410, ARB lockers
Expedition, no towing....California based

Being in CA is a game changer when it comes to the idea of a motor swap vs a supercharger.

I have a TRD one I suppose I'd sell, but realistically the market is CA guys as most (well, many anyhow) other states allow for a swap motor if you wanted to go that route. Varying degrees of "hoops to jump through" really.

I wouldn't be concerned with installing within the first few hundred miles (drive the motor long enough to verify it's 100% as a NA motor, then add) -- but if you have any plans to run a smaller pulley or customize the S/C kit then any hop-ups would be something I'd get the motor through the initial break-in before going for more from the S/C above the stock output.

Being in CA is a game changer when it comes to the idea of a motor swap vs a supercharger.

I have a TRD one I suppose I'd sell, but realistically the market is CA guys as most (well, many anyhow) other states allow for a swap motor if you wanted to go that route. Varying degrees of "hoops to jump through" really.

I wouldn't be concerned with installing within the first few hundred miles (drive the motor long enough to verify it's 100% as a NA motor, then add) -- but if you have any plans to run a smaller pulley or customize the S/C kit then any hop-ups would be something I'd get the motor through the initial break-in before going for more from the S/C above the stock output.

Thank you
I intend to leave the SC stock as I dont want to walk the line with detonation or heat. My bored balanced and ported engine should be enough for me.

I rebuilt my head and installed the s/c kit last year. There is quite of bit of fiddly mod work to install the s/c. I personally wouldn't want to go through the effort of installing the engine stock, running for XXXX miles and then going through all the fiddly work. I'd do it all at once and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom