The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The doldrums are over...

Some oddly shaped tomatoes:
View attachment 1321306
So I guess I'll whip up some salsa.
image.jpeg

:D

ya bastid...I'm gonna raid SurfPig's garden...

Chili I.D?
Employee gave this to me today in a 5 Gallon container. Only info I was given is the parent plant is over 6' tall and the heat is above the Tepin.:meh:
NCM_0137.JPG
NCM_0136.JPG

Looks like Cascabel

Late season. The rain cracked some of them but still good.
IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

Is it spring yet?

:bounce:
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG

My roommate has a couple of ankle biters who can't seem to learn to stay our of my gardens. I'm not really eager to put up fencing, does anyone know of any effective deterrents? Hot sauce maybe?

I've had an outbreak of dichondra in one of my gardens. I've let it grow because a. I doubt I could kill it without killing my plants and b. because I figured it would make an effective living mulch.

Thoughts? Shading the soil in the summer is a good thing but would the competition for water and nutrients offset the advantages?

As I recall dichondra is not a very robust plant, we had a hard time getting it to thrive as a lawn in Las Vegas. If you want it out hand weeding might be a good choice. Since it would shade the soil the net loss in water might be minimal. It is mostly leaf with minimal root structure and no flowers so it might compete with leafy vegetables for nutrients. You could probably top dress the beds with aged manure, which would either kill the dichondra or provide enough nitrogen to make up for what it uses.

dichondra is I believe a legume, and having it grow in your garden might be a benefit. As legumes have a symbiotic relationship with rhizobia bacteria, which create nodules (on the roots) that produce nitrogen. Also additional roots will help water penetration, adding to what Rusty said about shading the soil. I would just trim back the excessive growth and live with it. At the end of the garden season it will make a green manure, as legumes will decompose better than grasses.

I've had an outbreak of dichondra in one of my gardens. I've let it grow because a. I doubt I could kill it without killing my plants and b. because I figured it would make an effective living mulch.

Thoughts? Shading the soil in the summer is a good thing but would the competition for water and nutrients offset the advantages?
According to the Wikipedia, it's related to morning glories. You could probably just hand pick it if you wanted to get rid of it. It's kind of funny, my dad tried for years to grow a nice lawn of that stuff in SoCal.

:lol:

It is
According to the Wikipedia, it's related to morning glories. You could probably just hand pick it if you wanted to get rid of it. It's kind of funny, my dad tried for years to grow a nice lawn of that stuff in SoCal.

:lol:
It's tough to grow;)

1495666296167-1805275961.jpg

It appears that dichondra is one of those plants that only thrives where you don't want it to grow.:hillbilly:

I was wrong, dichondra is not a legume. I confused it with something else from memory.
I will pay closer attention.

It appears that dichondra is one of those plants that only thrives where you don't want it to grow.:hillbilly:

It's surprisingly hardy. It seems to thrive in warm weather as long as it has water and partial shade. It's used around here to fill in lawns under trees where turf tends to die out.

IMG_3831.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom