The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sure looks that way. We had a Blue Sears like this when I was a kid, although it was newer and had a black tank like the one from @Bomar . I thought the yellow coloration was unusual, but not exactly stylish. Still, the case color matches my 60, so it's going to Rubithon.

That color combo is so YOU Andrew! :confused:

I picked up a nice Coleman 220K lantern with the case on the weekend. The gentlemen I purchased it from was very nice, and spent a good bit of time explaining its operation etc. However, he couldn't get it to run and stated that he managed to get running prior to me arriving, but that it likely needed new fuel and a new generator which he provided. I wasn't too concerned, and he lowered the price without asking. After a couple of days I added some of my fuel (4 yrs old?) and changed the generator, but now I don't even hear any "hissing". This is my first Coleman lantern, and I have no real idea where to start. Suggestions?
image.jpeg

Check the leather on the pump. Likely dried out...rub it in some motor oil, pump it up 40-50 pumps and see if that solves your issue.

I am assuming it pumps up and holds air pressure?

It's either generator (unlikely since new) or the air pick up inside the tank. But a tiny piece of crud can still clog the tip of a new generator. Is the needle cleaner intact in the top of the generator? They sometime fold over during install and block the generator nozzle.

I would dismount the generator, open the valve and see if fuel/air comes out where the generator bolts down. If yes, it's generator related, if no, your pick up may be clogged. Neither is a big deal, but the pick up repair takes some finesse. If you put a gorilla move on the valve, you'll bend the top of the fount.

Looks like you're missing a mantle in your picture.

As @John McVicker said, oil up the pump leather and give it shot. If that doesn't work, my guess is that you need to give the pump a good cleaner. There is a little hole at the bottom of the fuel supply tube inside the tank and it does get gunk up after many years. Check out this very informative video

for rebuilding the 200. Your isn't a 200 but the procedure should be similar.

Pump works, he oiled the rubber seal and it holds pressure. Both mantles are there. When I removed the old generator the needle cleaner? fell out. I noticed the very fine filament tip and wondered what that was for. I did not remove this part from the new generator when I installed it. Could it be my "old" fuel? Also, as mentioned, I don't hear any "hiss". I heard it hissing when he tried to get it going. I'm at the limit for my internet useage for the month, so I will have to wait till tomorrow to watch the video, but thanks.

Last edited:
Usually old fuel is good, and will burn.

My guess is something is clogged. With a "new" 30 year old lantern, it's worth going completely through it and renewing everything. Once everything is clean, it can't not work. Whatever is wrong will be easy to fix in the end.

Got it all apart. Mine is not quite the same as that shown in the video, but very easy to figure out. Getting the main valve body free of the fount took a bit of ingeniuity. The fount was filled with a lot of crud. So after several cleaning sessions with some fuel, water, and more fuel I think I got most of it out. I now get a good mist coming off the generator, but is seems to cycle in intensity. Is that normal? I will also have to install some new mantles as the old ones got destroyed. I'll see if I can get it lit tomorrow.

Last edited:
Installed the new "old" mantels. Was sputtering at first, but after a few cranks of the tip cleaner all is good. Pic of the crud that came out, and that wasn't the worst of it.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

got this for $1 at a yard sale... no idea if it works yet or on the model number

20170603_163226-jpg.1472190

It's a 502 and will work.

Mike at Old Coleman Parts is a great guy!!! Got my pump leathers, cap gaskets mantles and patch yesterday!

IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG

Also picked up a new to me poo brown steel belted ice chest from the 70s to compliment the green one.... might just have one stove, lantern and cooler color matched to the fj62 when we spray 3f4 red...

So...my grandpas old 413f has no date code on the tank or case... is this a replacement tank? Is there any way to narrow down the date?

A couple for sale locally...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom