Door Jamb Switch for Dome Light, 84231-12070 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
I've found part number 84231-12070 mentioned in a few threads. Is the part number the same for the front and rear doors? From memory it seems that the front and rear doors have a different pig tail length but it's been a decade since I've looked.
Thanks,
Mo

EDIT:
For closure,

According to the local dealer...84231-60020 is for the rear but it's now the referenced part number for both the front and rear.

The pigtails in the front are shorter but everything else is the same. There's plenty of room in the front B-pillar to accommodate the longer pigtail.

Last edited:
rear hatch jamb switch fits 95 at least
84230-16020

I know that's not what your looking for but may help future searches.

edit

84231-60020
rear door courtesy switch 95-97

Last edited:
So to elaborate a bit further, I have one bad switch with broken internals. I tested one of the others and found each allowed a very small current to pass even when the switch is open (as it would be with the door closed). So I plan to replace all four with new OEM. It will be interesting to see how a brand new switch tests. I'll update this thread once I locate the correct and current part numbers.

Have you asked @beno?

For closure,

According to the local dealer...84231-60020 is for the rear but it's now the referenced part number for both the front and rear.

The pigtails in the front are shorter but everything else is the same. There's plenty of room in the front B-pillar to accommodate the longer pigtail.

Those switches are so dead simple to take apart, clean and put back together. Have you tried that? Soak them in a mixture of vinegar and salt if they're corroded. Unless the plastic parts are broken, it's a easy job to pop them apart and clean. Literally might take less time than ordering new ones.

Pop them apart? Are we looking at the same switches? The switches on my 80 and on my 4runner are all very similar and they are all plastic molded into a metal clip with plastic pushed through holes to form a sort of plastic rivet.

I took a few apart by drilling those out and then used super glue to put back but they dont just pop apart.

Beyond that the internals are very simple.

I'll look at it again, that's what I remember. But I took apart a lot of switches and connectors about a year ago.
You might try soaking one in vinegar and salt without taking it apart. If you have one that is junk otherwise.

All five on my 97 runner are bad and two on the 80. :bang:

Well I managed to fix one on the 80 and one on the runner but the other on the 80 was irrepairable and I havent bothered with the rest on the 4runner.

CorrosionX works wonders, I fixed all my jamb switches with it. just take them off and spray some in the switch and it will make them happy again!
I use this stuff on all rusty and corroded parts, all electrical contacts as well.. great stuff!!!

CorrosionX works wonders, I fixed all my jamb switches with it. just take them off and spray some in the switch and it will make them happy again!
I use this stuff on all rusty and corroded parts, all electrical contacts as well.. great stuff!!!
Where do you find CorrosionX? I've looked around, and I can't find any in Eastern NC!

Yep! I use the spray can on electrical connections, its thinner and penetrates the contacts better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom