What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (86 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After going back and forth trying to decide if I was keeping my flares I just made the final plunge today. They were in bad shape and I had already taken off the rears, so I thought why not. The body was just starting to rust around the holes in a few spots. Prep and primer coming tomorrow.

20170522_175501.jpg

20170522_155042.jpg

20170522_172642.jpg

20170522_174701.jpg

Right now I have it portable. I thought about a mount like yours but haven't committed to anything yet. Still trying to decide if I'm going to make a storage system or not.

I ask because I recently heard of a guy in Alaska having a Puma in the bed of his pickup with no cover for a few years and still going strong. I thought maybe your was mounted in the open weather also.

I ask because I recently heard of a guy in Alaska having a Puma in the bed of his pickup with no cover for a few years and still going strong. I thought maybe your was mounted in the open weather also.
Good to hear. I considered mounting it under the truck with some sort of skid plate or perforated box around the compressor. :hmm: Ammo can with a bunch of holes drilled in it might work.

Good to hear. I considered mounting it under the truck with some sort of skid plate or perforated box around the compressor. :hmm: Ammo can with a bunch of holes drilled in it might work.
I curious because the idea scares me.:eek:

A couple guys from the club pulled out an old airplane tug used at the marina after it got mired in mud during a recent flood. The cast "white" metal pulley disintegrated and came flying by one of guys.:eek:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bad day for the Audi on Sunday means the Cruiser is back into the daily duty it sees all winter. On a more positive note, after installing a new Isspro EV2 EGT gauge I am seeing lower EGT's that I did using my previous setup. I attribute this change to better EGT tip placement, I think it was too close to the wall of the manifold which was inflating my readings.

I actually hooked this new gauge up to the instrument cluster light signal so it illuminates at night. A rushed install on the old setup (see tip placement issue above) meant it wasn't all that useful for the limited amount of night driving I do.

20170521_122618.jpg

20170521_083006.jpg

I curious because the idea scares me.:eek:
What could possibly go wrong with 12v 70 amps running to an oilless horizontally mounted Taiwanese motor mounted under the rear of the cruiser :confused:?

Arts and Crafts Stage 3 Begins...

And it turns out I'm not as smart as I thought I was. Apparently cardboard ISN'T an infallible engineering and design tool. Who knew?

Few things I learned today:
1 - Cutting with a cut-off wheel on a circular saw sucks. I was hoping to score the metal to make my bends, and use the circ saw to get a nice straight cut by running along a clamped piece of wood. The thinnest blade for a circ saw has a 1/8" kerf, so the cut sucks and took forever. It's straight though, but a lot of time wasted there. The super thin cut off wheel on a hand grinder works much better for this purpose.

2 - Cardboard isn't perfect. It's floppy, bendy, twists and goes all over. That means that when you make some nice drawings based on your cardboard pieces, they might ACTUALLY NOT BE PERFECT! Go figure.

3 - Since it's not perfect, it doesn't bend exactly how you hoped it would (see below), and pieces don't necessarily line up as closely as you hoped. Looks like all the folds I was hoping to do for the wings will be cut off and massaged into place. Not the end of the world, some of my measurements will just end up being about 1/4" smaller than originally made up. Just a lot more wasted time.

4 - Don't bother with bends and folds in metal unless you REALLY know what you're doing. Drawing up stuff in CAD in 2D to get cut is easy, just make every piece separate and tack 'em together. That would have saved me a HECKUVA lot of time.

5 - Laser and Waterjet cutters have a basically non-existent kerf, unlike most other cutting tools. That means when you draw your shapes, you need to take into account the very minor gap you will want in order to make stuff fit nicely. I have to massage pretty much every one of my holes with a file or die grinder and may end up going crazy.

Disclaimer - I'm an electrician by trade, so this was intended to be a learning process. Tube bumpers are easy, it's just like bending electrical conduit. This is a whole different beast. I think I might start a whole thread just on this process so that other people don't make any of the same dumbass mistakes that I did.

full
should have been a boilermaker :p but at least you're having a go. Learn from the mistakes!

i need to do this. how did you remove the old mounts?
A few things. It was a pain in the arse.
- chain rear axle to frame to keep it from coming up when body weight is lifted
- bash, cut, heat, spray rusty mount nuts. Impact gun was very useful (used a 18v makita) since the bolts will spin inside the body. There are also ports under the carpet that you can get a socket on the other end. Gotta get all the mounts on the side of the vehicle you are working on.
- used bottle jack to do something like this (pic stolen from the internet)
IMG_2198.jpg

- Had to weld a good nut on top of the rear mount retaining bolts, since they were both so rusty there was nothing to attach a wrench/vice grips to.

Added 900 miles to the old girl, went fishing and Sacramento. Averaged about 14mpg at 70mph so pretty happy about that.

Dumped a can of seafoam in the intake and hot soaked it per instruction, it didn't do a thing from what I can tell beside watching my 12 bucks go up in smoke, quite literally.

Not my 80, but the weekend and a Toyota product that made me miss my 80..

Was on a project in Kathmandu, Nepal working with Kung Fu Buddhist nuns - yes, Kung Fu nuns. They are amazing and were heroic first-responders during the 2015 earthquake. We work with them on many humanitarian projects, this was a visit hosting the local U.S. Embassy folks.

And needless to say since burgundy is their official color my red 80 would finally have some fans ; )

Got to drive a nice diesel, manual Hilux during the visit (note - small nun on the running board was a professional soccer player before joining the monastery and is a total badass):

HiLux nepal 2017.jpg

Nepali roads are well suited for Landcruising:

20170520_083207.jpg

Nuns in action:

DSC_3848.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom