Turbo on a B engine (1978 BJ40) (With Intercooler) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello guys.
Finally, I finish my project.
Here is the final result:

PKpWiB6.jpg

JbFSeae.jpg

Qmt3LNt.jpg

a7a5kLZ.jpg

--------

And here is a video (Turbo is loud because there was no filter on it):

How does it run so far, any isseus so far.

Why did you go with the ct12 turbo.

Great topic

It has been running good since then.
I havent add the Intercooler yet, but the temps are really fine, and the fuel consumption was reduced a little bit.
By recomendation... I installed back the original Air filter, is more reliable and extends the life of the Turbo.

I choose the ct12b, because is the one that the 1kz engine has. The 1KZ and the B engine are both 3000cc, but the 1kz has pistons able to handle high pressures, B does not, thats why is not recomended go high on the PSI. From factory the ct12b turbo comes with 10PSI, and the B engine is a robust engine, able to handle that pressure.

Definitely, the engine is stronger than before. It handles better on low revs. The turbo kicks at around 2000RPMs.

Last edited:
Soy de Costa Rica y me interesa contactarlo pára saber como termino su proyecto, tengo un motor B y deseo poner turbo.

Great post!

Im doing the same in El Salvador but with a top mount intercooler with hood scoop.

How many hp you gain?

Great post!

Im doing the same in El Salvador but with a top mount intercooler with hood scoop.

How many hp you gain?

Hey!
I haven't installed the Intercooler yet, I'm spending money on my new HDJ80 right now.
I haven't tested the BJ40 on a dyno, but the difference is noticeable when driving uphills... The 3nd gear is pretty strong now.

Hey!
I haven't installed the Intercooler yet, I'm spending money on my new HDJ80 right now.
I haven't tested the BJ40 on a dyno, but the difference is noticeable when driving uphills... The 3nd gear is pretty strong now.

This is my set up. Not finished yet, but it's looking good
IMG-20170315-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20170313-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20170313-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20170304-WA0027.jpg

Wow! Nice! Good job there, is looking good.
My intercooler got pause because I bought a HDJ80.
How many pounds do you add to it?

I am using a 2KD engine turbo (i think it is a CT16) but is throwing around 14 or 15 psi to the engine ( too much for an old b engine ), so i bought a new wastegate actuator to drop the boost to 8 psi (i am still waiting for this part, maybe i will have it on the next week)

The big question here is: Can you calibrate your diesel pump to throw more diesel? How?

Guys, so far so good.
It has been running smooth and strong since then. YES its an Ebay turbo, and it has more than 40K kms, I have checked it every 10K kms and no issues.

In think, the key is to NOT push the Turbo, from factory it came with around 10-12PSI which was too much for my Clutch so I decrease it to 6-7, and it has been running fine. Oil change every 5K kms and I use Penzoil 15w40.

No intercooler so far since temps are great, one thing that I found was that I had to move the Air Filter and it was not getting cool air and my water temps used to increase to 3/4 on the highway at 80-90KM/H, I fixed this by reposicioning the air intake of the filter.

I have not jump into the Injection Pump because like I said before, my clutch (OEM) cannot handle the power and it slides. Right now I am happy just like this, but honestly if you are looking for power, swap the engine for something else, maybe the Cummins R28 which is becoming popular now.

Put a turbo on a 3b this past summer. The change is quite dramatic. Used front mounted Volvo intercooler. Happy motoring. I'm not running a muffler so is a bit loud.

image.jpg

image.jpg

NCI8fdC.jpg

Cvx52ta.jpg

Definitely it has been running better after placing the intercooler. Made an adjustment to the diesel screw and now it runs a lot faster and with more torque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom