Builds 1966 FJ40 Frame-Off Build (3rd Generation Owner) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Front drums are on along with both wheel hubs. OEM wheel studs installed, tie rod installed and toe-in set....waiting on the correct 50mm spindle nut to set the pre-load on the front axle bearings

IMG_4287.JPG

IMG_4288.JPG

Put the two front tires on for mock-up at this point, I think it looks just about perfect!
IMG_4292.JPG

Also, I did some paint touch-up on the rear axle outers and the rear axle is just about ready to go back together. I'll probably be able to get the wheel cylinders and shoes on today.
IMG_4290.JPG

On going project this morning is the restoration of the old Warn hubs. The aluminum bodies are getting clear coated.
IMG_4291.JPG

Rear axle is coming together, I'm waiting on axle seals currently

IMG_4293.JPG

I'm starting to think, I'm going to be too scared to put this thing on the pavement :)
Na! You're gonna love to drive it! I want to see a good "before and after" pic when she's all done. :bounce2::bounce:

Fun with Warn hubs...
IMG_4294.JPG

Installed....
IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

Rear bumpstop mounts and bumpstops are also installed along with rear axle shaft bearings.

IMG_4297.JPG

So @Rock40 and I need some tech assistance here on a sealing washer question. #92 on SOR diagram (below) is a lower bolt on the timing cover area that goes directly into the block. When I re-ordered a couple of them from SOR they came with the bolt and lock washer. However when Ross pulled them out of the F-145 motor upon disassembly these rubber sealing washers were behind the bolt. Any help is appreciated. Are these in fact OEM washers that reside behind this bolt?

IMG_8483.JPG

IMG_8484.PNG

But, this is what came from SOR when I ordered #92. No rubber sealing washer.

IMG_8489.JPG

Stopped by the H&S Bodyworks shop today in Bakersfield and progress seems to be going well. Almost all done with the body. First 180 sand completed. A few more small patches and this thing will go to primer and 1st block. Very happy with progress and trying to time this when I go see @Rock40 in August to pick up the completed rolling chassis, engine, transmission & transfer case.

Front of the cowl/tub:

Front Cowl-Tub.jpg

Right Hand Side:

Right Side Prep.jpg

Dash:

Dash.jpg

It's a roller....

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

Worked on the intake and exhaust manifold about 4 hours this morning. Was actually able to free up the heat riser with a combination of torch, PB Blaster and patience. The intake is going to be sent in for hot tanking, things are coming along nicely. I dig the Japanese characters on the manifold

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

Today was the day for finishing off the transfer case and the oddball 4WD vacuum shift actuator.
IMG_1270.JPG

All the bolts and gaskets are in and properly torqued minus the input/output nuts. Bolts are "new" re-plated OEM stuff

IMG_1273.JPG

Parking brake assembly, drum and new cable installed
IMG_1274.JPG

Started the assembly of this complex little unit....
IMG_1275.JPG

Some parts (like one of the shift boots) are no longer available so I improvised. In the case of the missing shift boot, a boot from a clutch slave cylinder fit perfectly. I also re-used the original diaphragm after treating it with some conditioner.

IMG_1276.JPG

Unlike the later vacuum shift units which used internal shift linkage, the linkage on this 66' is all exposed
IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

It's done, now for testing...

Here are the videos

Yesterday, I got the front/rear pinion nuts properly torqued, drain/fill plugs in the axles, several breathers installed and the rear axle cover back in place

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_3140.JPG
Just found this thread, really good details, I'm enjoying the read. It's evident you take pride in the quality of your work. Sorry for the hijack, But I think my steering was slightly worse. Check out the relay rod and the comparison of a correct Drivers side steering arm(top), to the one that was on there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom