Best tires for a 93 FJ 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched on this site for tire evaluations but the search option just brings up unrelated crap. I love my Michelin 275-70-16 but no longer available. We use this car in rain and highway snow and off road minor trips but not serious mudding. I most want traction in rain. The only problem with our current Mich. is hydroplaning thru freeway puddles. (Which our 2003 Sequoia does not). In the NW this is a big deal. Any suggestions? The Michelin defenders may be hard to get as Discount Tire lists them $20 ABOVE retail! (others are even higher or not available)

another tire(d) thread...:hmm:

I have had great luck with duratracs and KO2. I went KO2 since this will be or overlanding rig and I like the highway behavior on any road condition. I have duratracs on our Tacoma's because they get used heavily in the rocky mountains during the winter and they are the best snow tire I have used to date.

Yes, It's another tire thread! That's becuz when I use SEARCH it comes up with a bunch of non-sensical threads that have nothing to do with tires....try it. What's happened to IH*MUDs search function?

For starters, if you want to discuss which tire is best, consider posting in Tire and Wheel Tech

The very best tire does not exist. They are all a compromise. Mud performance, sand performance, snow, ice, sand, rock, street (handling, noise, etc.)…. Price, durability, looks (go ahead and admit it if you care)…. If you pick a single type of terrain, the options for “best tire” become limited.

If you want to know what strangers on the Internet think of a tire, your best source of reviews would be a tire site. They get tens or even hundreds of reviewers per tire. A good tire thread on Mud gets 20 or 30 comments, and those will be on various tires, not just one you asked about. The next thread will get another 20 or 30 posts, but it’s often the same people posting about the same tires. Tire websites are simply the better place to find out about tires. Most tire threads on Mud are primarily chat.

Tire Rack has reviews that rate on a 10 point scale, but do not include a rating for mud. They do have ratings that apply to many ROAD conditions, including rain, snow, ice, and road noise.
Using Cookies

or just their most popular tires, in a grid. Find the Right Off-Road Maximum Traction Tires for You

Mud Tire Reviews, Offroad Tires, 4x4 Mud Tire Reviews - Offroaders.com Tires listed on the left side of the page.
The Hot Sheet: 33 Off-Road Tires Tested - Jp Magazine Like the URL says; reviews 33 offroad tires. (on Jeeps) Ratings include sand and mud.

...and I have Duratrac tires, and think they are great in the rain.

Yes, It's another tire thread! That's becuz when I use SEARCH it comes up with a bunch of non-sensical threads that have nothing to do with tires....try it. What's happened to IH*MUDs search function?

Actually, the search function works really well if you're prepared to use it correctly ! Yes, it takes a little time, maybe something you don't have ? Bing lazy, it's easy to throw a new thread onto the board and hope someone bites ?

There is no perfect tire, it's the one that's perfect for you. Of course, none of us know exactly what that is....

I think for snow, rain and no hydroplaning you're going to want "skinnies". Pure physics, the tire is about 10" wide, the weight of the vehicle is over 6,500lbs. pounds per square inch is what you're interested in. KM2's are great but somewhat noisy, but safe (E rated, 3ply sidewall). You won't need this tire...until you need it.

Zona

I love it, a guy from Az and from california talk about tires for driving in the rain :confused:, I run Durtrac too like them

@hikermike - plug your search words into google & use + ih8mud

That helps & really you're the best judge of your use & priorities, otherwise realize this thread will spin out like every other tire(d) thread.

These 'help me decide' threads just don't work - a better way to ask is to request users' experience with specific tire brand/models & how they use them & go from that.

And the Tire Rack feedbacks are generally pretty decent too. GL.

I've been happy with my KO2s. Every time I have been in the snow I have pulled someone else out and the traction was not an issue. Decent freeway ride and wear.

I love it, a guy from Az and from california talk about tires for driving in the rain :confused:, I run Durtrac too like them

I live at 8k feet in a place that got over 50' of snow this year, we have rediculous running water all over the place plus rain/hail/ice now that it's warming up. I know the classic image of California is rainless but it's like saying all of Nevada is like Vegas.

I've searched on this site for tire evaluations but the search option just brings up unrelated crap. I love my Michelin 275-70-16 but no longer available. We use this car in rain and highway snow and off road minor trips but not serious mudding. I most want traction in rain. The only problem with our current Mich. is hydroplaning thru freeway puddles. (Which our 2003 Sequoia does not). In the NW this is a big deal. Any suggestions? The Michelin defenders may be hard to get as Discount Tire lists them $20 ABOVE retail! (others are even higher or not available)

Michelin still makes that size tire. The name is different. Think it's called the defender now.
No problem getting them here in Denver at discount tire. Running these on my 1993. Very quiet.

Against my own wishes I went with Goodyear All Terrain Kevlar 285/75R16. So far I'm very impressed with them but haven't put many miles on them yet. They came highly recommend from someone who is an active expeditionist. My previous tire was the KO2 which was a nice tire too.

IMG_4652.JPG

Last edited:
I'm running 285/75/16 General Grabber Red labels, but I'm weird so...

No one recommended the 42" Pitbull Rockers? What is this site coming to?

Honestly, tire choices are like underwear, buy what works best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom