finally bought a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After over a year of reading the forums and stalking the classifieds I finally bought a Land Cruiser. I found a 1 owner, CA car, zero rust, full maintenance records at Toyota, never offroad, etc. It's a 2000 with 143k. I can't wait to start making it my own.

I've had it a week and my "mods" consist of fixing the loose rear view mirror, ordering a replacement dead pedal, getting a small tear in the side of the driver's seat stitched up, and replacing the battery in one of the key fobs. Exciting stuff I know ;)

I'm researching lifts as I might as well do the lift, tires, and alignment at the same time. The current tires have a good 10k+ miles left in them, but they haven't been changed in ~ 7 years so they are probably due as soon as I figure out the lift selection. I'm leaning toward the 2.5" OME medium system from Slee with a Dissent front bumper. For tires I'm thinking BFG KO2's in 285/75/16. If I love this ride in the next few weeks, then I'll put my 2015 Ford F150 up for sale.

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-1-58fc277977b67.jpg

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-11-58fc278055a11.jpg

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-13-58fc2780f1051.jpg

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-25-58fc2784658f2.jpg

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-26-58fc2784ba54e.jpg

Verrrry nice find that's in near perfect condition! Seats look almost pristine with no cracks or really any major signs of wear. Steering wheel is a little worn but not too badly and that is a common problem with these trucks. My 200k '00 LC shows significant signs of wear and I've considered getting it rewrapped in the near future. But that's awesome that the wood trim has been removed from the lower console area. Maybe consider taking the wood trim off the cupholder door (if you have it there; it's not visible it the pics), the trim around the lower console area, as well as around the radio/climate control area if you think you'd prefer that look. That's how mine is and I like it much better. Oh, and champagne pearl is the best color out there in my bias opinion;)

Oh yeah, I also ordered a leather steering wheel wrap that should be done in the next few weeks. I didn't know any wood trim was removed from my lower console area??? I thought it was straight silver until I saw it in a variety of lighting and then I realized why it was labeled champagne pearl. The color is growing on me a bit more.

Congrats on your new ride. Get all the maintenance done so you can enjoy it longer. Make sure timing belt and water pump was replaced or check history.

Congratulations!!! I traded my perfectly good '08 F150 and went in debt for my '05 100. On paper, not the wisest thing to do. In reality, I could not possibly have made a better decision. Enjoy.

speaking of maintenance records I took the time to type up all the paperwork I was given to help me plan for future maintenance etc. I'm no expert on this stuff so do you guys have recommendations for anything in the future? The main thing I notice is that the timing belt, water pump etc. was done really early at 62,760 miles. I'm thinking I can go to 162-182k before doing it again based on what Gary at Mudrak told me. Other than heater T's should I do anything else right now? Tires and lift are in the near future.

4/26/17 - took delivery of the Land Cruiser at 143,055 miles

Installed new hood strut

Total dealer service fees - $15,573.59

11/21/16 - 141,278 miles

150k service - engine oil, oil filter, rotated tires from front to rear, topped off fluids, brakes - 8mm front, 5mm rear, tires 5/32 front, 6/32 rear, replaced air filter, performed cooling system fluid exchange, added conditioner, cleaned battery cable ends and installed protector, lubed drive shafts, cleaned throttle body, performed brake fluid exchange, drained and refilled rear differential, drained and refilled front differential, drained and refilled transfer case, added fuel and engine oil conditioner, performed fuel induction service, cleaned MAF sensor, performed crankcase cleaning, performed transmission fluid exchange, added conditioner

$1,392.75

2/19/16 - 136,135 miles

5k interval service - used 5W/30, topped off fluids, tires 6/32 front, 6/32 rear, brakes 7mm front, 7mm rear, rotated tires, cleaned crankcase, added conditioners

$194.65

7/17/15 - 133,260 miles

5k interval service - tested battery - 724CCA, rotated tires front to rear, brake lining front 8mm, rear 7mm, tires 6/32, changed oil, filter, drain plug gasket, topped off all fluids, used 5W30 oil, performed crankcase cleaning service, added fuel and engine additives

$155.48

7/30/14 - 127,420 miles

Perform bi-annual smog inspection

Replaced battery (previous battery failed performance test)

45k interval service - changed engine oil, filter, drain plug gasket, used 5W/30 oil, rotated tires and inspected brake linings, inspected fluid levels, performed battery protection service, installed washer solvent, performed throttle body cleaning service, performed power steering fluid exchange service, drain and refilled transmission fluid, added conditioner, installed oil and fuel system conditioners, tires 8/32 front, 7/32 rear, brakes 8mm front, 7mm rear

$717.23

1/20/14 - 124,808 miles

5k interval service - changed oil and filter using 5W/30, rotated tires, installed washer solvent, retorqued and lubed driveshafts. During service found left C/V boot leaking so replaced boot, replaced left side inner and outer CV boots. During service found lug and stud broken on right rear wheel and replaced.

$642.84

6/22/13 - 120,364 miles

5k interval service - engine oil, filter, gasket, washer solvent, oil/fuel conditioning, compress perf, fuel induction service with mass air flow sensor cleaning (does not include throttle body cleaning), perform air fuel induction service, clean mass air flow and add 44k. During service found noise from front wheel bearings - repack front bearing, found front wheel bearings loose. Removed front wheel bearing, clean and inspected for wear, repacked with grease and installed new grease seals

$920.19

1/19/13 - 117,326 miles

Replaced Drive bulb, 5k service interval - oil, filter, rotate and set tire pressure to 35 psi, topped off fluids

$204.60

8/11/12 - 113,899 miles

Smog check - test failed so replaced fuel cap and retested - ok

$143.36

7/1/12 - 113,103 miles

120k service interval - changed oil and filter, trans fluid, front and rear diff, transfer case, coolant, brake flush, air filter, fuel oil coolant conditioner, spark plugs, rotate and adjust tire pressure, battery service. During service found oil leaking at tube seals. Coil damaged / valve cover and tube seals aged and hardened / replace valve cover gasket and tube seals and coil pack

$1300.22

9/3/11 - 107,887 miles

Found rack and pinion assembly to be leaking from tie rod end seals. Replaced rack assembly with new part, refilled with new power steering fluid, performed wheel alignment, no leaks found after repair

$1426.34

8/28/11 - 107,806 miles

Lube oil and filter service, change oil filter, inspect battery, inspect brakes and perform multi point inspection, topped off fluids and inspected drivetrain for fluid leaks, inspected front and rear brake linings - 10mm front and 10mm rear. Tire tread at 10/32 front and rear. Replaced brake pads this service. Machined rotors:

LF rotor after machining - 30.92mm

RF rotor after machining - 31.04mm

Lubricated hardware and road tested

Removed right CV axle and replaced both axle boots and refilled with new grease and installed new clamps

$755.47

2/21/11 - 105,054 miles

5k service interval - performed oil and filter change, topped fluids, checked lights, lubed hinges, checked belts and hoses for cracks and wear, front brakes - 4mm, rear brakes - 3mm, front and rear tires at 10/32, replaced rear brake pads and machined rotors

$420.08

6/18/10 - 101,601 miles

45k service interval - oil, filter, gasket, battery service, washer solvent, TBI cleaner, ATF conditioner, inj cleaner, replaced transmission fluid. Repack and adjust front wheel bearing.

$1037.33

10/19/09 - 98,792 miles

Oil and filter change with inspection of belts and hoses. Customer reports the VSC and 4x4 light are lit on the dash and the vehicle seems to be stuck in 4WD check and advise - tech confirmed the diff lock activated, tech disconnected the connectors to the diff and reconnected and performed system health check and activated and deactivated the front diff - system ok

Install replacement battery and clean cable ends

Replace wiper inserts

$283.09

1/14/09 - 92,715 miles

Oil and filter, power steering service - fluid exchange, brake fluid exchange

$320.46

8/2/08 - 91,481 miles

Smog

$129.95

4/21/08 - 88,609 miles

30k premium truck service - oil and filter change, replace air filter, fuel induction / decarb service, add oil treatment, perform cooling system fluid exchange, replace transfer case fluid, replace differential fluid, drain and refill ATF, replace PCV valve and clean system, tire rotate and balance, brakes 8mm front and rear, tires 6/32 front and 7/32 rear

$648.96

12/27/07 - 83,759 miles

Change engine oil, oil filter, oil drain plug gasket, rotate tires, inspect brakes top off fluids, checked belts and hoses for wear, lubed driveshaft, hinges and topped off fluids, checked lights, inspected air filter, brakes 7.5mm front, 7mm rear

$71.48

7/12/07 - 78,825 miles

15k premium truck service - oil and filter, tire rotation and balance, drain and fill automatic fuel induction service, add washer solvent and oil treatment, front brakes at 8mm, rear at 6mm, tires at 10/32

$442.44

11/9/06 - 72,740 miles

Install new antenna mast, oil change, top off fluids

$266.63

8/12/06 - 70,506 miles

Smog, 4 wheel alignment, balance all 4 tires

$278.10

7/13/06 - 69,763 miles

Oil change, tire rotation, top off fluids, overall checkup. Brakes 9mm front and rear.

$60.35

1/26/06 - 63,452 miles

Replaced right side tail light

No charge

1/7/06 - 62,760 miles

Engine oil and filter, replaced platinum plugs, Repaired loose bulb socket in rear brake light, replaced timing belt, drive belt, transmission flush service, cooling system power flush, flushed fuel injectors, replaced water pump and thermostat, cleaned throttle body

$1916.17

9/10/05 - 58,799 miles

55k mile service - rotate tires, replace engine oil and filter, install new drain plug gasket, inspect ball joints and dust covers, brake linings, drive shaft boots, air filter, steering linkage. Lube drive shaft and retorque drive shaft and flange bolts, brakes 9mm front, 10mm rear

$103.78

12/20/04 - 49,132 miles

5k mile service - oil, filter, washer solvent, replace rear brake pads, machine rear brake rotors

$182.42

8/7/04 - 45,819 miles

Biennial smog test

$127.25

5/1/04 - 42,591 miles

12mo / 15k service interval - replace engine oil and filter, install new drain plug gasket, drain and refill transmission fluid, top off fluids, service battery, test coolant strength, inspect exterior light, rotate tires, inspect brake linings, replace air filter, brakes 10mm front, 5mm rear, replaced key fob battery

$539.52

11/29/03 - 38,970 miles

4mo / 5k service interval

Oil, filter, gasket, oil supplement, washer solvent, replace front brake pads and machine front rotors

$398.42

Likely missing service records

8/3/02 - 20,671 miles

4mo / 5k service - oil, filter, gasket, washer solvent

$92.73

2/19/02 - 15,953 miles

Customer reports buzzer stays on all the time - tech verified condition, found fuse block shorted, replaced fuse block and rechecked

No charge

12/8/01 - 14,303 miles

12mo / 15k service interval - replaced engine oil and filter, install new drain plug gasket, drain and refill transmission fluid, top off fluids, service battery, test coolant strength, inspect exterior light, rotate tires and inspect brake linings, replace air filter, brakes 10mm rear, 10mm front

$267.43

7/14/01 - 10,457 miles

4mo / 5k service interval - rotate tires, replace engine oil and filter, install new drain plug gasket, inspect ball joints and dust covers, brake linings, drive shaft boots, air filter, steering linkage, lube drive shaft and retorque drive shaft and flange bolts

$92.72

1/25/01 - 5,292 miles

Performed oil, filter change, inspected belts, hoses, and fluid. Rear wiper arm not in correct position - rear wiper arm nut loose - tightened nut to specification

$41.15

Good looking Cruiser! Nice score, patience is key to finding a good one.

I think the OME 2.5 and BFG KO2's will serve you really well. As for the bumper Ben is making some killer products but if you actually plan on getting your new 100 onto the trails I cannot suggest sliders first enough. A lot of guys add bumpers and lights and gizmo's before sliders and I just don't get it. If you play off road, you WILL need sliders... first. There is a lot of sheet metal hanging down between the tires and protecting it and giving yourself a jacking point will help you breathe easier off road.

If it is a mall crawler, desert runner, beach cruiser... by all means toss out the above advice.

slider advice noted.....that will be on the short list of mods. The slee slider steps seem nice and useful for the kiddos as well, but I need to research all the options. If Ben would make sliders soon too, then that could be easier to pick up in person :)

Great looking truck! That leather looks near perfect. I wonder why they felt the timing belt should be replace at 62k?

I think it was an older couple and the dealership decided to take advantage of them....that's my best guess???

the 2nd and 3rd row look like nobody ever sat in them. Unfortunately it looked like the driver slid out of the seat every time so there was a small tear on the side of the driver's seat. I took it to an upholstery shop the other day and had them stitch it up since the rest of the seat was so good.

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-16-58fc2781da606.jpg

2000-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-18-58fc27826f240.jpg

Great looking truck! That leather looks near perfect. I wonder why they felt the timing belt should be replace at 62k?
Looking back at my records the timing belt on my 2000 LX was done at 60k too. I thought I read somewhere that early on the recomened change was 60k then it was later changed to 90k. I could have just dreamed that though, I don't know.

interesting....I was wondering if it was because it was already 6 years old and they were going off age rather than mileage??

Timing belts should be replaced every 8 years or 90k miles just to be on the safe side. I was told by some of my friends at Toyota that they can go as far as 150k or 10 years. My timing belt on my 93 truck with a 3.0l was last changed in 2002 and have over 100k miles on it, I know I'm pushing my luck here since this is an interference engine I guess I am proof that it can go that far.

first fun mod within the first 200 miles of ownership. BFG KO2's in 285/75/16. Now I need to do the spare tire mod to make the spare fit a bit better and higher.

tires1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom