Builds FJ40 in a barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I'm going to head to the bank and try to go make a deal this afternoon. In case anybody wants to meet me out there to see it, the address is 1234 Main Street. I won't be there until 2:00.

You really know that aerea, Sorry I couldn't make it on time !

Belly Dancer Henna
1234 Main St,
Beaverton, OR 97005
(502) 334-4520

:cheers:

Haven't read all the text but was is brought up that the rear sill looks to be replaced? The lack of a spot to latch the right barn door. Lack of welds across the back and first thing that caught my eye the corners of the sill seems to sharp.

Tell me more. Here is a shot straight on of the whole back. There is a hole for a post to go down into the rear sill on the DS and the latch for the PS to catch on. Looks welded in to me on the back side. The front edge had some seam filler in spots that was intact, but has mostly dried up and gotten crusty. No rust visible from top or bottom.

IMG_4703.jpg

Man
I'll say it
These are so hard to find
Please don't chop it up ever
Keep it close to stock or buy a Jeep
Jeeps are cheap and they don't seem to lose the value when the are modified to some extent
Want to see your time and money go down the drain
Buy this for 5k its worth more for sure
Spend another 7 k modifing it
And then it will be worth ......5k

Keep it stock !

I'm going out to make the deal tomorrow at 3:00. Pretty excited to get it back to my garage and get to work.

Seems like this truck is a solid platform and could easily be turned into my dream rig. I have some new Sawz-All blades that should go right through those clean body panels. I'm thinking something like one of these:

DSC_0699.jpg

Picture025.jpg

No, just having a little fun. I totally get the objection to modifying a clean, stock whatever.

I have NO desire to cut this thing up, but it's also not headed to the Concours d'Elegance. It likely won't stay 100% stock, but it isn't 100% stock now. This won't turn into a hack job. My immediate goals are for a safe, drivable, clean 40. Once I get there and have a little fun with it, we'll see. Furthermore, I reject the idea that people who want a more capable 40, tailored to the trails they want to run, are doing a disservice to the universe unless they start with a rusted-out, already-hacked-up junker. This site's full of really nice looking, mostly stock trucks with slightly bigger tires, suspension upgrades, improvements to the stock drivetrain and gearing, while still retaining the classic look of a stock 40. That's where I'm likely headed.

Thanks to everybody for the info and well wishes. God willing, I'll drive this diamond in the rough home tomorrow afternoon.

I have a 1987 FJ60 SOA, 4:88 gears, 2F, H55F, sliders, SROR rear bumper with tire carrier, etc.

If I had to do it over again I'd keep it stock with a mild 2-3" lift and of course the H55f tranny. I wouldn't add all the added weight of bumpers and sliders, roof rack, etc.

Why is this? It drives like a dream and it looks great. Everything was done perfect and it sails down the road as if it's stock, but here is where it fails. I can't drive into parking garages, if I put my roof rack on I can't fit it in the garage, and at this point I don't want to trail thrash my perfect body, rust free 60. I'd just prefer to have a super clean, lightly modded 60. At this point I won't sell and buy another because I have too much time and effort in mine. I know it's almost perfect and I don't want to go down that road again.

Figure out where you want to be with it and got whatever route you choose, but think about usability and long term things like I mentioned. You have a diamond in the rough now and it has potential to be a survivor 40. Maybe your answer is to get this one up and going, make some serious money off of it, and buy a modified 40 from someone that has already put in all the work and worked out all the bugs, saving you a ton of time and money. Obviously just giving you opinions.

Now go buy that sucker! :cheers:

That is a great looking truck with tremendous potential.My concern would be an engine that has been stagnant for 20 years.While everything is fixable-I would look at that truck as purchasing a shell with nothing inside.
The truck is worth what someone would pay.I would pay $2800 only if the current owner payed for the flatbed :)

Wave $4k cash in his face and get that thing home. Figure out what you want to do with it later, but in the meantime take comfort in knowing you'll have instant equity

He said he was meeting the guy at 3pm (guessing west coast) so he still may be trailering it home.

He mentioned driving it home. I don't see how but I'm anxiously awaiting an update.

IMG_5499.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom