Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shocks are mounting in pretty much what would be the stock location. I've only stretched the rear by 3", so I kept the suspension very simple.
Got any pics of how you plan to mount shocks for the rears? I so don't want to go with the typical /\ style but definitely don't want to kill the usability of the rear by gong through the floor.

Shocks are mounting in pretty much what would be the stock location. I've only stretched the rear by 3", so I kept the suspension very simple.

Makes sense and will be likely the same as I do. I think I'm about the same stretch in the rear with 55series rears springs.

Makes sense and will be likely the same as I do. I think I'm about the same stretch in the rear with 55series rears springs.
I'm having a little regret not using fj60 springs in the rear, but having done the hardcore chop before, I'd like to keep things looking a little more FJ40 than all chopped up. The 55 springs seem to work really well and may have been a good compromise for better suspension movement.

I did scallops to the floor so I could run 10" shocks - in hindsight I should have simply raised the entire floor 1 1/2" but it's done now.
I really thought of doing the same but need the leg room in the rear. Who knows, I may end up stretching the tub and linking it.

Personally I like the stock 40 rear Springs except for the small bushings. However they really didn't seem to be a problem on the rear. The small 40 bushings on the front however aren't holding up well. But they aren't hard to replace. The 60 Springs on the rear are a little too soft for my liking. On the street I have to take corners a little slower. The bushings are big which is nice. I'm still getting them dialed in but so far I'm probably keeping the 60 rears. Right now I don't have them flipped. In the farthest forward perch hole it's a 1.5" wheelbase stretch. So if u wanted to run em not flipped u don't have to cut stuff just in case you don't like the 55s

20170311_192256.jpg
20170311_192320.jpg

Radiator is installed and fits nicely.
Tomorrow's job is to route the brakes.

Engine harness was a snap. I'm really happy with the PSI products and everything about how the harness was built was top notch.
Everything for the chassis wiring is laid out. I have a couple of circuits to delete, but having done one of these before, I know what to expect and should be able to loom everything and get connectors soldered up in no time.
I also started adding fluids today, and with some breaks between studies in the coming weeks I'm hoping to pull the thing out of the garage and give a go at firing it up.

Curious to know the radiator hose config you come up with! Part no. would be much appreciated.

Progress has been as school and a new baby allows. I've redone the rear shock mounts, uppers and lowers, to reduce stress on the shock heims and give them a better orientation. I used a combination of ruffstuffs monster mounts and the side angle mounts from Barnes. I'll grab some pics in the next day or so. The Bilstein 7100 short body shocks look great and I'm now thinking of a set for the front to match.

Progress has been as school and a new baby allows. I've redone the rear shock mounts, uppers and lowers, to reduce stress on the shock heims and give them a better orientation. I used a combination of ruffstuffs monster mounts and the side angle mounts from Barnes. I'll grab some pics in the next day or so. The Bilstein 7100 short body shocks look great and I'm now thinking of a set for the front to match.

Need pics!!!

20170429_171204.jpg
20170429_164810.jpg

Belly skid is almost done. I bought an IPOR skid and am making some changes to it for my application. I think for the time saved having to try to cut and burn one myself that I'm money ahead.
Rear shocks are in. I'll need to put the reservoirs somewhere, but they're fine for the moment.
That's it for this week.

Looks great!

What's the story with the limit strap on the rear? Cycled the rear shocks yet? 10 or 12 inchers?

Well, ran into a hiccup. I installed the flexplate backwards, so I'm going to have to pull the transmission and cases.
I've also decided not to run the tube fenders and will have to get creative to make the factory ones work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom