Homemade, portable air and power, strong like bear! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_6386.JPG
IMG_6379.JPG
IMG_6381.JPG
IMG_6382.JPG
I use a portable compressor/jump starter frequently. Mainly for my motorcycle racing exploits, where I need to air up the tires and charge up my batteries (for a constant loss electrical system). For years, I wondered how great it would be to have one that was really powerful.

A few weeks ago, I attended the big 4 x 4 swap meet in Puyallup Washington. I entered a rally for an ARB twin air compressor, which I one, which never happens to me. The compressor is so nice, I didn't want to permanently mount it to one vehicle. So I thought I would finally make that bad-ass air and power box I was thinking about.

So I bought the ARB 1 gallon tank, and a good AGM deep-cycle tractor-size battery. Put it all in a pelican box. And it fit perfectly. Also added an LED fog light in case I needed to do stuff in the dark. Wired it all up with marine grade wiring.

very elegant. Nicely packed.
The compressor's not getting too hot in that cramped space, though?

very elegant. Nicely packed.
The compressor's not getting too hot in that cramped space, though?

Thanks. Heat might become an issue if I keep the lid closed and run it long enough. This is a really nice compressor that switches on when the pressure drops, like a big standard compressor. Also has a built in cooling fan. So far, I've used it to add about 5 psi to 4 regular car tires and it got barely lukewarm to the touch. It only flipped on for about 5-10 seconds between each tire to refill the tank. I think it makes so much air and so fast, it doesn't have much of a chance to heat up. If it does, I'll use it with the lid open.

I still need to clean up some wiring, and add external battery lugs for jump starting or drawing power off other car batteries. Maybe some USB ports and a 12V power port, too.

That thing is cool and starting to look like a mission impossible or James Bond gadget.

Do NOT take through airport security! HaHa! I would be worried about over heating.
I like the idea of not bolting it to a single vehicle use.

That is cool to the max! I love it.

Thanks, people.

I added USB ports, and a 12V accessory port. Used to be called a cigarette lighter. The housings for these two extended far enough inside the box to bump into the compressor, so I had to space them out. I did that with some aluminum I machined.

I think this project is about done. I'd like to find a less chunky LED light and mount it flush to the box, but I'll figure that out later. I'm also still unsure of how much heat will be generated, and I won't know until I have to air up some off-road tires. Like I mentioned before, I can always just leave the lid open for that.

My wife thinks I should start making and selling these, but it would be over $1K each, in parts alone. I didn't tell her that part. She just thinks that I got the compressor for free (which I did), and got great deals on the rest through eBay (which I didn't).

IMG_6420.jpg
IMG_6424.jpg
IMG_6422.jpg
IMG_6423.jpg

If cooling becomes an issue add a 12v computer style fan. Maybe add some more vent holes for it to pull through and exhaust. Turn on and off with the compressor or add a temp sensor switch.

Thanks for the advice. The compressor has a built-in cooling fan that I have wired so it comes on with power to the compressor. I've used this box to run a compact 3/8" impact wrench to remove the tranny skid plate, which it without breaking a sweat and not even getting warm to the touch. Even snapped off seized bolt. Also added a few pounds of air to all of the truck's tires. Again, no problemo. This is a really nice compressor!

IMG_6489.jpg

What about battery life? How long will it run before a recharge is required?

What about battery life? How long will it run before a recharge is required?
I don't know. I keep it on a charger when I don't use it. Like the solar one. Using this because I'm camping out at a race track. I can run it intermittently in short bursts for 15 or 20 minutes, doesn't seem to run down. That is an AGM deep cycle battery.
IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG
It did get pretty hot after an hour of intermittent use. Compressor kept flipping on, because my impact wrench had an air leak. So I used it with the lid open.

Thanks. Heat might become an issue if I keep the lid closed and run it long enough. This is a really nice compressor that switches on when the pressure drops, like a big standard compressor. Also has a built in cooling fan. So far, I've used it to add about 5 psi to 4 regular car tires and it got barely lukewarm to the touch. It only flipped on for about 5-10 seconds between each tire to refill the tank. I think it makes so much air and so fast, it doesn't have much of a chance to heat up. If it does, I'll use it with the lid open.

I still need to clean up some wiring, and add external battery lugs for jump starting or drawing power off other car batteries. Maybe some USB ports and a 12V power port, too.
cut out a portion of the pelican and replace it with some mesh or expanded metal, nice set up

Very nicely executed. I'm all about smart builds like this!

Refined the box a bit. That LED fog light light was bulky and cumbersome, kept getting hung up on things and getting banged around when I chucked the box in the truck bed. Not even using the light enough to make it worth the hassle. So I found these LED strip lights that are amazingly bright, and low profile. Less weight, too. The future is now!

IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom