What did you do on your 70 series today? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Son of Toyota.... this guy tries to rearrange the rear of the cruiser....

Just a little paint transfer for me. Him not so much.

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.PNG

I may have to use this to haul some people around that don't belong to my, so I thought it would be good to add some seat belts to the rear jump seats. Interesting that it has brackets and captive hardware for the seats, but nothing for seat belt provisions.

P1050335.JPG

fitted factory antenna. Not that difficult,unbolted bottom section of guard (fender) stuck my arm up with antenna got small child to grab antenna job done.

My accomplishment is probably admitting that I earned the dunce award.
Weekend before last, I replaced my brake booster on my BJ70 with a new one. Once done, I took it for a test drive and found the brakes to be dragging in a big way. Returned to my shop, read the factory service manual for adjusting the brake pedal very carefully. I re-adjusted the pedal per the instructions and found no drag on my test drive, so I thought I was good. However, the next day when I drove to work I found that the front pads gradually built up drag after five miles (or so) to the point I didn't have enough power to get her in 5th gear on a down hill. Over the next few days I made several attempts at re-adjusting the pedal without any improvement.
On Friday, I gave up. I disconnected the vacuum from the brake booster and headed to a local shop Land Cruiser mechanic because he was confident that he could fix it. On the drive to the mechanic's shop, the brakes were dragging again so I turned around and took the BJ70 home. Back in my shop, I pulled the brake master cylinder. While contemplating my situation and clueless as to my next step, I looked over the master cylinder for any obvious problems and actuated it checking for good fluid discharge; which it appeared to be. Then I looked over the new booster and the original booster. At this point I noticed a big difference between the boosters that I had not noticed before. The actuator rod on the new booster extended ~1/2 inch further out from the mounting face then original booster. I went back to the service manual and found confirmation in the booster rebuild section that the actuation rod required adjustment. I adjusted it per the manual and my problem was solved.
The information was in the service manual all along and I failed to read all the sections required to properly set up a new brake booster. Certainly was a Homer Simpson moment ... :doh:

LDowney,
I will be adjusting mine this week.
Did you improvise a special service tool to measure?

View attachment 1455349 View attachment 1455348

Pain in the butt replacing alternator... Must be origional as the bolts were a pain. Had to remove the intake to beat the s*** out of it with a pry bar and mallet. New one slide right in.
Nice work dude. I take the exact same photo of any part that gives me trouble when I finally get it out hahaha
Is the troopy officially back in action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom