To raptor line or not... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

resale isn't affected by raptor imo... my truck sold just fine with it...

If I had all the money in the world I would try to find something more durable that you could also color match with. Raptors DIY/color matching qualities made it a perfect fit for both of my projects.

The out side of my expo tundra was sprayed in 2010, if I am remembering correctly, with tintable raptor liner. It has held up well and looks good still so far. My only concern is if you rub your hand over the finish now a small amount of color residue comes off on your hand. It would seem that the raptor liner is degrading some overtime. I am not surprised at this after 7 years, just wanted to share my experience. The bond to the body is still great no peeling or separation that I have seen.

I am interested in knowing if anyone has had tintable linex sprayed on their fire wall, how long and how it has held up to the heat. I am looking to do that in the future.

The out side of my expo tundra was sprayed in 2010, if I am remembering correctly, with tintable raptor liner. It has held up well and looks good still so far. My only concern is if you rub your hand over the finish now a small amount of color residue comes off on your hand. It would seem that the raptor liner is degrading some overtime. I am not surprised at this after 7 years, just wanted to share my experience. The bond to the body is still great no peeling or separation that I have seen.

I am interested in knowing if anyone has had tintable linex sprayed on their fire wall, how long and how it has held up to the heat. I am looking to do that in the future.

"if you rub your hand over the finish now a small amount of color residue comes off on your hand. It would seem that the raptor liner is degrading some overtime."

... This is SUPER-INTERESING to know !!

As you & the others here are likely well in tune with, Raptor, Monstaliner, Line-X, Rhino Liner, etc - - are super difficult to remove (had they been properly applied), that the metal surface can now be recoated. And many of us are of course wishing to keep our vehicles on hand for a long period of time down the road, let alone more than 7-years. If the color tint literally degrades by rubbing-off (onto one's hand or body or clothes), it would be easy to think one could merely scuff the (Raptor lined) surface & apply an additional coat of the same material (a modern chemistry of Raptor). - - Is that what you'd be thinking or believing ?? ... to simply scuff & recoat everthing, either in Raptor or Line-X ?

~Skydog

Skydog,
It would be difficult to remove. The small amount of residue that comes off is not significant enough to warrant a refinish at this time. I hope to get at least another 7 years plus out of it as long as it does not separate from the body. It is pretty thick and adding another coat over it I think would be too much. If I ever recoat it I would try to remove as much of the old as possible. I won't look toward to it if I ever do.

My interest in the linex is for another project. The raptor liner has held up well but if there is a better product out there I would interested in the better liner on my next project.

Skydog,
It would be difficult to remove. The small amount of residue that comes off is not significant enough to warrant a refinish at this time. I hope to get at least another 7 years plus out of it as long as it does not separate from the body. It is pretty thick and adding another coat over it I think would be too much. If I ever recoat it I would try to remove as much of the old as possible. I won't look toward to it if I ever do.

My interest in the linex is for another project. The raptor liner has held up well but if there is a better product out there I would interested in the better liner on my next project.
They say Line-X is about the best (which would imply better than Raptor, etc) : but it also incorporates an increased cost factor (which to some or many is relatively insignificant, in the scheme of things).

If one can get a good 12 or 14 years out of the tinted Raptor, being that of the "paint" of your vehicle, I'd think that would be a good service life of the product. Beyond this time frame (12 or 14 years after an already well-used, old vehicle has finally been repainted), vehicles have historically either been literally thrown away, or, completely rebuilt yet once again (as we regularly see here on this forum - being a vehicle's first rebuild).

My own take is that Raptor is merely UV-stable, polyurethane paint, albeit with the ceramic mixed-in; although, is a good bit tougher than traditional paint. And for those of us attempting to create a **nice** rig that is actually a trail-rig, we're seeking as much as we can muster out of the word, 'tough.'

I really do like this '80, which was nicely done-up in Monstaliner (being the same as Raptor). The color of this coating, tinted by Monstaliner, is called 'Sans Panties.' Although, like Line-X & Raptor, Monstaliner can accept any color hue of tint :

tcm.jpg

~Skydog

Last edited:
Skydog,

"It is pretty thick and adding another coat over it I think would be too much. If I ever recoat it I would try to remove as much of the old as possible."

Although I'm believing Raptor is not nearly as thick as Line-X, and is much more thin than traditional bedliner coatings, this was the answer I was seeking. ... Thanks !!

~Skydog

I would definitely use raptor again as an exterior finish for a trail rig. I am happy with how it has held up especially since my finish is tinted to match the factory white paint. I was a little worried that it might discolor overtime but it looks like the white has stayed the same. No change in the color.

My reason to look for another product is the residue. My current project I want to line the floor boards and bed. I am worried these areas see more contact abuse, so the residue or break down is a bigger deal. I don't want the finish constantly coming off on my shoes or equipment every time I am in and out of the vehicle.

I will try to add some pictures to show what I call residue and the finish this weekend.

I would definitely use raptor again as an exterior finish for a trail rig. I am happy with how it has held up especially since my finish is tinted to match the factory white paint. I was a little worried that it might discolor overtime but it looks like the white has stayed the same. No change in the color.

My reason to look for another product is the residue. My current project I want to line the floor boards and bed. I am worried these areas see more contact abuse, so the residue or break down is a bigger deal. I don't want the finish constantly coming off on my shoes or equipment every time I am in and out of the vehicle.

I will try to add some pictures to show what I call residue and the finish this weekend.

"I don't want the finish constantly coming off on my shoes or equipment every time I am in and out of the vehicle."

This is why this statement of yours has such impact. No one else would want or wish for this either. And although the Raptor deterioration you describe has likely happened to other vehicles as well, your words mark the first time I've crossed the issue. It's like a chocolate candy bar when we eat on it for a period of time - that eventually the chocolate begins to melt onto our fingers & hands. And then we see some on our shirt & car seat. And we begin to think to our self, "this is becoming yucky." :)

Thanks,
~Skydog

I've used raptor liner in the pst. Did the interior and exterior of my 85 pickup. You can get a very accurate color out of the tintable liner. I found it to be a very tough product. Cleaned up very easily and hard as nails. Almost too hard as it was pretty slippery in the cab and bed when wet. Scuff and scratches almost always cleaned up.

I've gone back and forth on using it on my 40 interior. Chances are I'll either raptor line or gator step the interior. They are obviously very different products though.

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

Chalking doesn't happen overnight. It happens after many hours of UV exposure and won't happen to interior surfaces that don't see much sunlight.

High traffic areas are the least likely to leave a residue since they never have a chance to build up a residue.

I'd recommend checking out the products from Durabak. Good product, great customer service, and in my application, very happy with the product.

Hi there. Planning on adding some raptor liner to my rig, been using this guide for reference. Having a read through this thread, seems like surface prep is the most important thing, anything else to keep in mind?

I'm confused what you mean by "residue or breakdown".

ok, after a week of reading the Bedliner pro's and cons in the FAQ's, and doing research on line I have decided I need to, "ask the experts".
I have a '65 that I am rebuilding from the ground up, 2f/4 speed upgrade, front disc axle, and body work paint job. The inside of the tub (rear) has some rust that was cut out and the inner gender wells are ok but weren't repaired to a high standard.
So, my question is this:
Do I bedliner the inside of the tub? The truck could go back to the original motor and front axle, but I'll probably keep it til I die so resale isn't the most important factor to me. I do want to use a timetable liner to match the rig. Thoughts? Suggestions? Horror stories?
Thanks in advance!!

I've heard good things about raptor liner and plan on recoating my herculined tub with raptor liner in the nearish future.

ATTENTION!!
I have also been looking into using Monstaliner and Raptor for undercoating and possibly covering the entire body.
I have found information in my research that gives me a great hesitation.....Working Temperatures for the products.
Monstaliner gives a working temperature of -22 to 190 degrees F
Raptor gives a working temperature of -.4 to 212 degrees F
So what happens when you live in an geographical area the sees lower temperatures than the working temperature and develop cracks?
Most likely the warranty would be voided and you would have to absorb the cost of repair.
I have contacted the companies for info about this but have not heard back from them.

If there are Ih8Mud members out there that have had this product on their trucks in temperatures below the working temperatures of the products it would be great to hear from them!!

So, I saw that herculiner has a heat resistance up to 254*. I've had it in my engine bay and inner tub for 15 years. It still looks great. The only issues I had was a couple spots where I prepped poorly and I just cleaned them up and reapplied the herculiner with no subsequent issues.
I imagine that if you were to heat it to near 250 and scrape it, it might yield and move around a bit, but where does that happen in trucks like ours?

I'm confused what you mean by "residue or breakdown".

See pictures below for example of residue on my hand. When I wipe my hand on the truck I get the white residue on my hand in some places. It is not consistent over the whole truck surface. The camper pictured was sprayed with tin table raptor liner in 2010. The two close up pictures are just close ups of the finish.

If there are Ih8Mud members out there that have had this product on their trucks in temperatures below the working temperatures of the products it would be great to hear from them!!

Where I live we seen temperatures that dip below -4 but it does not stay there for very long. So the camper is not in those temperatures for multiple days consistently. It has not caused any cracking in the finish.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

That's a cool Tundra/camper!

The coldest we have seen here, two decades ago, was -48,
Its not uncommon to see temps of under -22 in mid winter extending for a week or so.

See pictures below for example of residue on my hand. When I wipe my hand on the truck I get the white residue on my hand in some places. It is not consistent over the whole truck surface. The camper pictured was sprayed with tin table raptor liner in 2010. The two close up pictures are just close ups of the finish.

Where I live we seen temperatures that dip below -4 but it does not stay there for very long. So the camper is not in those temperatures for multiple days consistently. It has not caused any cracking in the finish.

View attachment 1454331

View attachment 1454332

View attachment 1454333

View attachment 1454334
Yeah, that's way, way too much.
IMG_5937.JPG

Neither you nor anyone else would want or wish for that. Especially if a lady were to be near or in your vehicle. Raptor NEEDS to answer to that. And Eric @magnetman would be helpful to his own Monstaliner to chime-in as well, as his product is similar to Raptor.
~Marc

I'm applying Lizard Skin, to my fire wall, front floor board and Trans tunnel. Does anyone know if I can apply Raptor liner over the Lizard Skin?

Josh

Yeah, that's way, way too much.
View attachment 1454384
Neither you nor anyone else would want or wish for that. Especially if a lady were to be near or in your vehicle. Raptor NEEDS to answer to that. And Eric @magnetman would be helpful to his own Monstaliner to chime-in as well, as his product is similar to Raptor.
~Marc

That is a fair amount of chalking. Do you recall if there was a UV stabilizer in your Raptor from 7 years ago? I wonder if periodically spraying exterior applications with 303 protectant or a spray wax or a UV protecting topcoat would minimize this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom