Lag in Ignition and starting up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to see an intermittent problem in the way my truck has been starting for the past couple of weeks. The basic issue is that I turn the key over and the engine doesn't attempt to turn over until after a couple of seconds. This happens when the truck is hot or cold and it doesn't seem that alternator is bad as when the rig does turn over it starts right up.

Any thoughts on why the truck doesn't turn over immediately when I turn the key?

Appreciate any advice!

I would say your starter is on its way out. You can buy parts to 'rebuild' it, do some searching on rebuilding your starter. Might be a good idea to throw on new fusible links too. I doubt its anything to do with your ignition. It seems like if the starter works better cold that 9 times out of 10 its the starter.

Last edited:
Where's that popcorn thingie... I was just talking to my son the other day about this. My LX has started to do the same thing, although the delay between turning the key and the starter turning is very short (definitely not a couple of seconds). So short that it you almost find yourself saying, "Hmm...that didn't seem right, but I can't put my finger on it.". It took me a few starts to realize there was a tiny delay between the two actions.

I would say your starter is on its way out. You can buy parts to 'rebuild' it, do some searching on rebuilding your starter. Might be a good idea to throw on new fusible links too. I doubt its anything to do with your ignition. It seems like if the starter works better cold that 9 times out of 10 its the starter.

I thougot that too but the reason I think it might be something else is that the battery holds charge and doesn't hesitate to turn on once the engine turns over.

Where's that popcorn thingie... I was just talking to my son the other day about this. My LX has started to do the same thing, although the delay between turning the key and the starter turning is very short (definitely not a couple of seconds). So short that it you almost find yourself saying, "Hmm...that didn't seem right, but I can't put my finger on it.". It took me a few starts to realize there was a tiny delay between the two actions.

Exactly! Mine the duration of the lag is not always two seconds but sometimes a lot less... just doesn't feel right.

My guess would be the contacts in the starter. Had same thing happen to my 4runner a few years back... replaced contacts, and it's been fine since.

My LX does the same thing (occasional brief delay between key turn and starter kicking in) but in my case it is definitely voltage related. If the battery voltage is in the 13's it never does it. If the voltages drop into the 12's (like parking it for a week) then I might get the delay. It may very well be starter contact based as I have not replaced those yet.

My LX does the same thing (occasional brief delay between key turn and starter kicking in) but in my case it is definitely voltage related. If the battery voltage is in the 13's it never does it. If the voltages drop into the 12's (like parking it for a week) then I might get the delay. It may very well be starter contact based as I have not replaced those yet.

I've wondered this exact thing as my battery is the same old NAPA battery that was in it when I bought it almost 4 years (and 42k miles) ago. I can't read the date sticker on the battery, but it looked old 4 years ago. I figure I'm due for a battery anyway, so I might try that...

An easy fix will probably be to rebuild the starter contacts. I had a similar issue years ago and noticed I was rebuilding the contacts at least once a year. Figured the solenoid was going out. So I ordered another starter and haven't looked back. No more issues.

An easy fix will probably be to rebuild the starter contacts. I had a similar issue years ago and noticed I was rebuilding the contacts at least once a year. Figured the solenoid was going out. So I ordered another starter and haven't looked back. No more issues.

Killer- I'll take look at the starter contacts and see what I can come up with.

I'll take it off your hands...$1000 cash tomorrow lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom