Radiator rupture (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So...
Has anyone ever had a radiator rupture?
Explode is a more accurate description of the event. Luckily, no hood damage.
IMG_20170426_061115656.jpg

IMG_20170426_061121305.jpg

Yes. Do you know why it happened...why it may have overheated?

I've not, but the plastic is the weak spot so not surprising.
I notice two things:
1) lightest brown discoloration near neck.
2) I don't see any red color.

I'd be interested in history of coolant flushes, how often and with what?

This was coolant system flush. Engine oil color is good, and full. So I'm hoping I didn't have a head gasket rupture.
Edit.
The PO did s***ty maintenance, and I had a lot of rust in the system that I was flushing out

Looks like it's gelled- also the non factory hose clamps on the top hose indicate (recent?) hose replacement- and possibly the fluid was topped off with wrong fluid?

Was the plastic engine cover removed when it blew btw?

Looks like it's gelled- also the non factory hose clamps on the top hose indicate (recent?) hose replacement- and possibly the fluid was topped off with wrong fluid?
It definitely gelled. Radiator flush and distilled water

I recently had the TB done, and the service manager warned me about the discoloration and hairline cracking on top. He commented saying that it's common for the tops to blow on these??? Why isn't this a recall situation? Crazy.

I think the rust somehow clogged the overflow line and pressurized the radiator and the weakest spot (thinkfully) the radiator blew.

Use OEM radiator hoses and clamps. Those clamps on your truck are junk.

Make sure you clean the overflow hose and specially the plastic cap on the coolant reservoir.

I replace radiators every 8-10 years whether it is good or bad. This avoids transmission pink-milkshake and ^^^^

I think the rust somehow clogged the overflow line and pressurized the radiator and the weakest spot (thinkfully) the radiator blew.

Use OEM radiator hoses and clamps. Those clamps on your truck are junk.

Make sure you clean the overflow hose and specially the plastic cap on the coolant reservoir.

I replace radiators every 8-10 years whether it is good or bad. This avoids transmission pink-milkshake and ^^^^

Agreed

Let's just hope your heater core is OK

^^^ I hope so. The heater core is a full metal part, therefore it should be fine. The upper radiator tank is hot at all times and the plastic degrades faster than the lower tank.

Dex-Cool?

I'm not talking about the heater core rupturing. I'm talking about coolant gelled or rust clogging it. Coolant gelling usually is from silica dropout. In my diesel bus cooling system, it's a cooling system nightmare.

Let's just hope your heater core is OK

Funny coincidence.
I just replaced both heater cores, and had not connected them to the engine yet. I wanted to completely flush the system before hooking up $1000 of new parts.
Glad I did that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom