Utah overlanding trip, Lockhart Basin 4/28-5/1 with Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
It's time to do another camping in the backwoods of UT. This time we'll be doing the Lockhart Basin trail from south to north and end up in Moab. We'll depart ABQ on Fri and return on Mon. Some folks will peel off and attend the Cruise Moab event that week.

Lockhart Basin

Mildly modified 4x4 will do fine as this is a very mild trail with awesome scenery along the Colorado river basin. An extra jerry can of five gal of fuel will be good to have for just in case.

This trail can be done in a single day if you really haul but we'll take at least two days. There are ample opportunities for hiking and exploring on this trail so we'll take it slow and enjoy the scenery. If we manage to get into Moab early enough on Sunday, maybe we'll run another trail in the area that's short but fun.

If you're interested, please post up.

Attendees:

Matt B
Juan
Ali, Jessica
Larry
Ron L.

Sheep, wish I could go. Love Lockhart, hope you guys have a great time!

Lockhart rocks....

DSC_6206.jpg
DSC_6231.jpg
DSC_6240.jpg
DSC_6247.jpg

have fun guys and gals and be safe

This looks like a lot of fun, but I am not going to be able to leave for Moab until Wednesday afternoon, (possibly Tuesday afternoon). I have a friend coming from out of state heading to Moab with me, so along the way we want to drive through the Valley of the Gods. We don't have a specific itinerary yet but here is a rough estimate.

Leave Wednesday, head to Valley of Gods, take our time, do some evening photography, then head to Slickrock in Moab
Thursday - Top of the World
Friday - Wipeout Hill (May skip and explore Arches NP)
Saturday - Kane Creek , Pack up and head to Canyonlands NP immediately after trail.
Sunday - Canyonlands, possibly Elephant Hill, long day then head back to ABQ

The departure date is coming up, this Friday. As of now, the plan is to leave ABQ and aim for the Superbowl BLM campground on Friday. From ABQ to the campground is approx six hours. We can all show up at the campground at our own pace then head for Lockhart basin trail Sat morning. Whoever gets to the campground first, please pick a large enough of an area where we can camp together. I think they have a group site at this location, but can't recall exactly. There are toilets at this CG as well.Larry's plan is to tow his camper to Monticello on Friday and perhaps park it there until he picks it up after running Lockhart trail.

I need to do some work at our Farmington office on my way to UT so not sure on my ETA at the campsite. Jessica and I are planning on departing Tijeras at 7am on Friday. Please top off fuel and last minute grocery shopping at Monticello before heading to the campground. There is good coffee place in Monticello as well. Our CG is a stone's throw from the beginning of Lockhart basin trail, as in three miles! Google Maps

Let me know if you have any questions/comments. Plan for the weather, it might get cold at night. Hopefully it won't rain on us but who knows! We'll be on HDC_2, 146.400

Campground
Google Maps

Thanks Ali,

I have sorted storage of my trailer at Monticello. So the plan is to dump my trailer and head to Superbowl. Might be after dark when I arrive into Superbowl. Juan is grabbing a few Jerry cans (one for me) and will top them off so we have extra gas. But I will also top off in Monticello before heading out to hook up with you guys.

Larry

Also,

I talked with the boyz at Moby 1 in Springville UT (3 hr N or Moab). They have a few camper trailers on display. My plan is to head up there Monday after we finish up, grab a room Monday night, check out their stuff Tuesday and then return Tuesday afternoon to Monticello to get my trailer. All is good.

Gawd I really want to go. But this work stuff keeps getting in the way. I need to fix that.

Funny timing. I'm headed up there with my wife Saturday, planned to camp someplace up Lockhart basin that night, then have reservations in Needles and the Maze the rest of the next week. Sorry I'll be behind you guys, but I'll keep an eye out for Cruisers with NM plates.

One note - we got turned around by a Search and Rescue squad in 2015 near the Moab end of Lockhart Basin road, as we were running it south to north. Evidently there had been a big washout which had made some pretty serious obstacles, and the group we ran into suggested politely that we turn around and head ALL THE WAY back south toward the Needles Visitor Center, so we weren't able to make a full through trip out of it. One of the guys in the group was a local Sheriff's Deputy and recommended anyone with less than a full rock crawling buggy not try to make it down the new obstacle.

Having said that, I have no actual first-hand knowledge of the state of the trail, so maybe find a local who knows more recent information before you all commit to a potentially long return trip?

The Jeepers from the EJS came through the trail so it's open. I did call the Monticello BLM office and they said nothing to worry about. Weather should actually be decent from what it looks like. Checkout the forecast for Canyonlands Needles and it should be pretty close to where we'll be hanging out.

Me and Juan are planning on heading out of ABQ sometime between 9 and 10 Am, since everyone has their own thing going on. You guys have my number if you need to get a hold of me.

Matt,

If you and Juan are at Farmington at the same time we are, we'll convoy out from there.

I'm almost home but got news that Juan's 80 sheared off the knuckle studs on Poison Spider. They got the studs at NAPA in Moab and are now heading to Slickrock CG to borrow a drill from Cdan or Romer.

2017050195153633.jpg

2017050195153644.jpg

View attachment 1451867

Juan_5.jpg

Last edited:
That's some nice double wing ya got going on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom