May long weekend May 20-22 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that the Easter long weekend has passed, our attention turns to
the May 20 - 22 long weekend. Traditionally we have gone to Churn Creek
and usually found the weather pretty good for that time of year. Anybody
have some ideas? :steer:

Almost certainly Jeepapalooza for us on that weekend, setting up Cascadia Expo tent etc. Would really loved to have gone to Churn to finish that trail we started...

I'd love to go again this year, but have learned that even though your spouse says "yes you can go camping" when it's your anniversary weekend, it really means "no ****ing way".

So you passed her test I see. They tend to make you think it through.

Listen guys, you have to put yer foot down and let her know yer not a pussy.
Anniversaries come and go, but wheeling is forever...:rofl:

Last edited:
Yes, but getting pussy and being a pussy be two different things.
Women respect men who stand up and won't be pushed around. :smokin:
Anyway, I'm go'n wheeling May 19-22 regardless...

Jeff, why in the world would you get married on a long weekend, you obviously weren't thinking ahead ;)

Change your anniversary to the day you met and fell in love.
If you don't remember, that's OK, just make up a convenient date
like December 29 when you know there's no wheeling.
Better yet, why get married? :p
If you really want to please her, let her know she is welcome to come.
Glad to be of help.

Bill,
I will join the trip on Friday. Wife is not coming so my dog Diesel will keep me warm at night:). Meet you guys somewhere, Flying "J" likely.
Ruwi

OK Tarsier, I will probably come with Oleg and meet you at the Flying J on Lickman Road on Friday.
I am waiting for Gary T to return from Moab to see if he is coming as well. I'll get back to
you in a few days after he returns. :steer:
The weather forecast for Churn is not bad so far...

Proposed Churn Creek Run May 19 – 22

-Meet at Flying J Shell station fuel-up by ~10:30 a.m. Friday morning on north side of Hwy 1 on Lickman Road, before Chilliwack.

• 10:45 a.m. Proceed up Fraser Canyon hwy with possible pit stop at Boston Bar Tasty-Freeze burger joint.

• Carry on to Spences Bridge for quick pit stop at Vulture Garage funky vehicles.

Vulture Garage
  • Lunch stop in Bear Claw Lodge in Cache Creek ★★★★ Bear's Claw Lodge, Cache Creek, Canada

• Drive on and top up fuel at Clinton gas station.

• Leave highway just past Chasm and head west (left) on Meadowlake Road.

• Pit stop if needed at Meadowlake Campsite.

• Follow main road and Canoe Creek/Dog Creek road to Fraser Canyon en route to Gang Ranch suspension bridge. After crossing the bridge, head uphill and keep left toward Churn Creek.

• Make base camp either on the north side of Churn Creek (small camping area), or proceed over Churn Creek wooden bridge to larger camp area south of the creek, depending on availability.
RADIO FREQUENCIES:

-Use CB channel 4 for trail talk.

-Use VHF 146.46 MHz for trail talk.

-For emergency only, use RCMP 143.185 MHz or 149.6800 but avoid these unless urgent. The Clinton RCMP office might be closed for the holiday anyway.

-Fuel Supplies: Dog Creek store and gas station open on weekend 9:00 – 4:00
and holiday Monday 9:00 – 1:00 pm.

I think Oleg has a chainsaw to cut fuel.
It could be cold at night at the campsite...Dress warmly.
Bring rubber boots for the sticky clay mud if it rains.

~Bill

Last edited:
I'll be poking around that area on Saturday and Sunday. I might run into some of you guys. I'm staying at a friend's cabin on Big Bar Road on Saturday night. Can anyone point me in the direction of a nice lake for Sunday night? DM me if you would prefer to "whisper."

Ya'll have fun. Just back from Utah on Tuesday and still catching up.

gb

CHURN CREEK

Churn Creek: going home again. Whoever said that you can't go home, was wrong. And you can go even farther back to long before humans appeared. Churn Creek; a timeless place and spiritual power center whose origins can be traced back to ancient oceans. These clay cliffs began as deep silt sediment on ocean floors until mega-thrusts heaved them above continental plates as clay ground, continuously driven east across this region until this mighty Fraser and Churn carved jagged canyon walls and ravines.

Muddy Churn joins turbid Fraser in sandy rock-strewn delta boulder field. Listen to the steady, reassuring sound of the big river, punctuated by falling clay and rock debris cliff side. See Bighorn sheep dancing up there, some don't make it across. On our side the sandbars build and shrink as the seasons change and river flows alter.

Spring now, the snow has left and these semi-desert grasslands stir with a diversity of new life. Tiny Prickly Pear cacti dare to sprout delicate spineless fingers in dry soil. Black ants crawl from their rotted cottonwood nests to fly and clumsily bounce off our pant legs. Tall bunchgrass and sage fly their new spring colour while tumbleweeds roll in the canyon gusts. The air is fresh and sweet with the fragrance of sage. Redwing blackbirds chirp loudly while warblers call their high-pitched ear piercing cries. Rufus hummingbirds zoom by with motorized wing beats. Mating, nesting time, and birthing are everywhere; the spring ritual continues just as always. Up above on sprawling ranch lands, newborn calf suckle their mothers and young foals rise on shaky legs.

Churn Creek; yes, you can come home again to this sanctuary of the human spirit. Linger and absorb this remarkable mosaic of diversity. Come back again to meditate and appreciate this ecological wonder known now as Tsilhqot'in.

~Bill W

A couple of pics from Churn:
el Camino (1280x462).jpg
Ravines (1280x719).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom