AC problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our 100 is a 1999 with 132 k miles.

Lately our AC is not blowing cold air anymore. It is inconsistent blowing at times and at times not.

What areas of 100 usually go wrong ? Any clear glass where one can observe bubbles denoting a leak ?

FJ cruiser 2009 Stock
Jeep LJ Rubicon on 36"

There is a spy glass in the engine compartment near the radiator. You can dye test the system for leaks, but you will need a lift and a black light. If there is a leak, you will need to replace the leaky section. Then you will need to recharge the AC system with R134a.

I had a leak on the hoses running between the firewall and near the passengers side floor pan.

And when you stick a can of your favorite refrigerant in be careful not to over charge. Easy to do and it's not good for the AC system, also will cause unnecessary load on the engine.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1408396512.098204.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

Where the spy glass located ?

Is it same as an Fj cruiser spy glass and check for bubbles ?

Jay

FJ cruiser 2009 Stock
Jeep LJ Rubicon on 36"

Can i detect it with a scangauge?

FJ cruiser 2009 Stock
Jeep LJ Rubicon on 36"

There is a spy glass in the engine compartment near the radiator. You can dye test the system for leaks, but you will need a lift and a black light. If there is a leak, you will need to replace the leaky section. Then you will need to recharge the AC system with R134a.

I had a leak on the hoses running between the firewall and near the passengers side floor pan.

Can you describe your leak (i understand this is a common spot for leaks in the 100 series) and what you did to fix it?

^^^^ The location I think is right below the right foot area on front passenger.

Can you describe your leak (i understand this is a common spot for leaks in the 100 series) and what you did to fix it?
It was a pin hole leak... obvious after using a die kit. The leak was essentially just behind the front passenger side wheel. Rocks and gravel were caught behind a shield here, and we're a likely culprit. I was fortunate: this section of ac pipe could be replaced easily with hand tools. I tightened everything up and had the system recharged with R134a.

Those lines on my Hundy appear to be fine - no OBVIOUS physical damage. I am going to assume that my o-rings are just leaky after all these years and neglect by the PO.

Those lines on my Hundy appear to be fine - no OBVIOUS physical damage. I am going to assume that my o-rings are just leaky after all these years and neglect by the PO.

Leakage past O-Rings or the front seal of the compressor are reasonable suspicions, though other areas are possible.

I wouldn't place the blame on a previous owner UNLESS the system has been previously serviced and substandard work done.

IF it is the original set up and original refrigerant charge (from the factory) (assuming your issue is low refrigerant charge) then you are just seeing the normal need to have the system serviced at this point.

Again....this assumes you have a leak and the issue is low refrigerant charge and not something else.

IF that is the case, it is well to determine the severity of the leak and where it exists. A 'SLOW" leak that results in poor A/C performance only after many months (once yearly) probably isn't worth chasing down. Just charge the system until things get worse.

IF you have a significant leak or several leaks, then obviously it/they need to be repaired.

Refrigerant is not a 'CONSUMABLE' (like engine oil)....so there is never any reason to replace it or add to a properly sealed and functioning system. Only when you have a leak, component failure or the system is exposed to atmosphere (air/moisture)...would you ever need to do anything to it.

I'll submit some good advice to those who work on their own vehicles. When you replace the O-rings on any A/C fitting use a few drops of NYLOG and you will never have another leak at that site. It is well worth the time and effort.

Leakage past O-Rings or the front seal of the compressor are reasonable suspicions, though other areas are possible.

I wouldn't place the blame on a previous owner UNLESS the system has been previously serviced and substandard work done.

IF it is the original set up and original refrigerant charge (from the factory) (assuming your issue is low refrigerant charge) then you are just seeing the normal need to have the system serviced at this point.

Again....this assumes you have a leak and the issue is low refrigerant charge and not something else.

IF that is the case, it is well to determine the severity of the leak and where it exists. A 'SLOW" leak that results in poor A/C performance only after many months (once yearly) probably isn't worth chasing down. Just charge the system until things get worse.

IF you have a significant leak or several leaks, then obviously it/they need to be repaired.

Refrigerant is not a 'CONSUMABLE' (like engine oil)....so there is never any reason to replace it or add to a properly sealed and functioning system. Only when you have a leak, component failure or the system is exposed to atmosphere (air/moisture)...would you ever need to do anything to it.

I'll submit some good advice to those who work on their own vehicles. When you replace the O-rings on any A/C fitting use a few drops of NYLOG and you will never have another leak at that site. It is well worth the time and effort.

When I say, "neglect", I really mean neglecting to run the AC system for long periods of time, limiting the lubricant from the O-rings- causing them to dry out and eventually leak.

The PO were an older couple in the south, and if they are anything like my Dad--- he refuses to run the AC all winter and most of the fall,,even some of the less warm summer days. Too much fuel wasted, he says.

In my cars, i run the AC at LEAST 5 minutes a week in the colder months- just to keep the rings lubed.

When I say, "neglect", I really mean neglecting to run the AC system for long periods of time, limiting the lubricant from the O-rings- causing them to dry out and eventually leak.

The PO were an older couple in the south, and if they are anything like my Dad--- he refuses to run the AC all winter and most of the fall,,even some of the less warm summer days. Too much fuel wasted, he says.

In my cars, i run the AC at LEAST 5 minutes a week in the colder months- just to keep the rings lubed.

^^^^^^^^^^ Completely understand now. Describes my Father-in-Law to a 'T' and we live in one of the hottest States in the U.S. (Texas).

NYLOG, never heard of it. Will Google-Fu that and invest this time if this stop leak fails....which i'm sure it eventually will.

By the way, when recharging the AC.. Since I don't have the guages, for ambient temps near 100- how many low side pounds while front and rear air are blowing is appropriate? I'm talking the simple low side recharge method here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom