Max Cargo Box Length? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
44 inches maximum width. Maximum length to clear second row seats is 41 inches @10" high.

At the moment, my power seats do not move, and I plan to replace with manual. So I can't really measure on my truck.

Does anyone know the maximum box length with second row removed and stock first row manual or power seats all the way back (but upright)? (I assume subtract 2" for land tank/wits' end extensions.) Obviously that's going to vary a bit depending on box height and the angle of the seatbacks – but what are we talking here? How tall and long are your boxes? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Pretty close to 70 inches. I measured with second row still in.

Are you thinking of a box that is the full length or doing something modular like I'm planning where you'd have 3 boxes. 2 that fit behind the 2nd row until you need the extra space and then second row comes out and there is a third box with filler panels in its place? If your question hasn't been answered by 1pm pacific standard I will be able to get you my measurements.

Are you thinking of a box that is the full length or doing something modular like I'm planning where you'd have 3 boxes. 2 that fit behind the 2nd row until you need the extra space and then second row comes out and there is a third box with filler panels in its place? If your question hasn't been answered by 1pm pacific standard I will be able to get you my measurements.
Ha, never thought of that, thanks! Never heard of anyone else doing it that way, either. Interesting...

Pretty close to 70 inches. I measured with second row still in.
You mean measured what it will be when the second row's not there? For a box that's how tall? Thanks!

From Closed hatch with factory carpeted panel to back of driver seat with average lean and fully back without landtank slides.
A box 10" tall can be made to 72-1/2" with slight gap between box and seat. A box the height of the tailgate panel can be 72" keep in mind I sit pretty straight, a little lean but not a whole bunch. I made my original drawer set about 3" shy of the tailgate and an inch narrower on each side only because I was trying to be a cheapa$$ and use 10' lengths of the frame materials so I could cut down on overall cost. But the measurements are full real world measurements. This summer I will be making a new set of drawers and will utilize all available width and length. My plan is to make 3 identical sized boxes instead of the 2 I have. I will make 2 new wider, longer and slightly taller boxes for the rear behind the 2nd row. I will make a 3rd identical box that will go where the 2nd row seats sit and I will make a frame to attach filler panels to and make the space around the box into compartments for whatever I deem necessary. On box will be a kitchen unit for campine etc... the other boxes will retain their current functions, one as a tool box and the other, recovery gear.
Hope that gives you some ideas to consider and if you build and sell boxes that use my concept I want royalties.

I don't know length, but 6 Milk Crates and a $10 sheet of 1/2 OSB and a circular saw will get you real close to what you want.

Then put a Twin Mattress on top which just barely fits with seats folded, Don't forget LCPhils Window Socks for Ventilation.

You built your roof rack to 96"+ x 49" to bring home 4x8 sheet goods; right?

I don't know length, but 6 Milk Crates and a $10 sheet of 1/2 OSB and a circular saw will get you real close to what you want.

Then put a Twin Mattress on top which just barely fits with seats folded, Don't forget LCPhils Window Socks for Ventilation.

You built your roof rack to 96"+ x 49" to bring home 4x8 sheet goods; right?
Ha, looking for something just a tad more secure--and without the convenient carry handles. :) Roof rack is K9 2.2 meter flat-top; big enough.

From Closed hatch with factory carpeted panel to back of driver seat with average lean and fully back without landtank slides.
A box 10" tall can be made to 72-1/2" with slight gap between box and seat. A box the height of the tailgate panel can be 72" keep in mind I sit pretty straight, a little lean but not a whole bunch. I made my original drawer set about 3" shy of the tailgate and an inch narrower on each side only because I was trying to be a cheapa$$ and use 10' lengths of the frame materials so I could cut down on overall cost. But the measurements are full real world measurements. This summer I will be making a new set of drawers and will utilize all available width and length. My plan is to make 3 identical sized boxes instead of the 2 I have. I will make 2 new wider, longer and slightly taller boxes for the rear behind the 2nd row. I will make a 3rd identical box that will go where the 2nd row seats sit and I will make a frame to attach filler panels to and make the space around the box into compartments for whatever I deem necessary. On box will be a kitchen unit for campine etc... the other boxes will retain their current functions, one as a tool box and the other, recovery gear.
Hope that gives you some ideas to consider and if you build and sell boxes that use my concept I want royalties.
You should post up here when you build it. Mine came with a 41 x 40 x 10 homemade birch ply box, but I'm planning to lose the 2nd row for most drive-time and was thinking to go longer. Your idea very interesting; I'm guessing access to the forward box would have to be through the top though?

Yeah, my current setup is 2 40x20x10" boxes and contoured filler panels. Made the drawer units out of steel tubing and sheet metal. Drawers are on roller bearings and they have a locking front and a locking hinged top. The plan is to put a kitchen unit were my recovery gear box is and have the recovery box behind the seats, same setup and access would be through the top. Then when not camping/overlanding etc...the kitchen unit etc.. will be removed and the recovery box will go back to its normal place with full functionality and I will have the 2nd row seats installed. Modular is the idea, I want to make the whole unit expandable to suite the needs of the situation. Here's the current drawers

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4787.JPG

Yeah, my current setup is 2 40x20x10" boxes and contoured filler panels. Made the drawer units out of steel tubing and sheet metal. Drawers are on roller bearings and they have a locking front and a locking hinged top. The plan is to put a kitchen unit were my recovery gear box is and have the recovery box behind the seats, same setup and access would be through the top. Then when not camping/overlanding etc...the kitchen unit etc.. will be removed and the recovery box will go back to its normal place with full functionality and I will have the 2nd row seats installed. Modular is the idea, I want to make the whole unit expandable to suite the needs of the situation. Here's the current drawers

View attachment 1447670

View attachment 1447671

View attachment 1447672
Nice work! Never thought of having them open from top as well. Whose barrier are you running there?

Nice work! Never thought of having them open from top as well. Whose barrier are you running there?
Barrier is just a generic pet barrier I got off a guy on Craigslist, the only reason it was installed was to keep the dog in the back right before that trip. I would to trust it to hold any gear or cargo back, though I'm sure it could with some minor mods. The top opening idea is in the event I was ever backed into anywhere I may need recovery gear to get me out of...which has proven useful on a couple occasions. One consideration most manufacturers haven't taken into consideration.

Here are some ideas I saved for my drawer Build that I saved from this site:
**ALL CREDIT GOES TO THE BUILDERS
Box Storage 1.jpg
Drawer Build 2.jpg
Drawer Build 2.jpg
UHMW Slides.jpg
Carpet Lined Drawers.jpg

Box Storage 1.jpg

If you look for a sleeping platform and milk crates, I have a better solution.

54" x 44" [;wood sitting on top of 4 17 gallon HDX containers from Home Depot.

If you look for a sleeping platform and milk crates, I have a better solution.

54" x 44" [;wood sitting on top of 4 17 gallon HDX containers from Home Depot.

I need something that locks...

I got a set of 4 ratcheting tie downs from HF. My cargo boxes have holes in the them so you can get the straps through them and secure on the floor or the 3rd row seat rail on the wheel well.

I got a set of 4 ratcheting tie downs from HF. My cargo boxes have holes in the them so you can get the straps through them and secure on the floor or the 3rd row seat rail on the wheel well.
Mmm. I mean LOCKS. As in, "F*** this, I'll go steal somebody else's sh*t..." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom