HDJ78R Troopy Camper Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thewayoverland.com
G'day,

We've recently completed a conversion on our '07 HDJ78R Troopy into a full camper. We wanted the 1HD FTE for their solid reputation; they're as rare as hens teeth so we couldn't believe it, when after months of searching, one came up for sale 1km from our house for the right price. We spent the next 5 months stripping it back and rebuilding into what it is now. It took longer than anticipated though the end result is exactly what were after.

Mods include:
  • Koni Shocks
  • Lovells Springs
  • Winch Bar
  • 11k pd Winch
  • IPF HID Spotties
  • Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
  • Outback Accessories Dual Wheel Carrier
  • GME Radio
  • Bucket Seat Conversion
  • Alucab Roof Conversion
  • Alucab Shadow Awning
  • Diff Breathers
  • Dual Batteries
  • Custom Stainless Rear 70ltr Potable Water Tank, Pump and Sink
  • Custom Rear Camper Fitout including complete rewire and sub board
  • Front Runner Rear Drop Down Table
  • Rhino Pioneer Rack
  • Full Insulation + Soundproofing
  • 180w Solar Panel
  • Intervolt DCDC Charger
  • Ram Head
  • And all the other camp gear, ie Coleman Dual Fuel Stove, Kermit Chairs, Tables, Lighting etc...

We've just completed a 3000km loop trip around the South Coast of WA, (including Telegraph and Holland Track for those of you in Oz), sticking as much to the dirt, beach and off the black top as possible. This was a test before heading off from Perth in June to travel overland to, at this stage, the UK and maybe further.

I've thrown up some pics below and will put up some more shortly though feel free to check out our socials for more pics:
Happy Easter!

Cheers,

Mark

16110464_1633514226945529_7844295636252884992_n.jpg

17438213_1815289152068246_6890966407261978624_n.jpg

17494930_624677167721777_5061654937277038592_n.jpg

Show off! Just have to rub it in to us who will never get to own one of these...

Nice job, I can only wish!

Sweet!

Nice truck, do you plan on traveling through Papua New Guinea, Indonesia etc to get to the UK ?

Sounds fantastic, that trip is on my bucket list. Will you be documenting it on your website ?

Mark, very nice. Was it 'popped' when you bought it or something you did?
Pic of ye guys from top looking down is v. good; rare to get a 'real' perspective ; nice looking layout.
Interested in more of the interior details

Mark, very nice. Was it 'popped' when you bought it or something you did?
Pic of ye guys from top looking down is v. good; rare to get a 'real' perspective ; nice looking layout.
Interested in more of the interior details

Hi Brendan,

We've done pretty much everything to it, including the top. The pics below show the car before we started, the design (I drew up about 4 different designs before we chose this one) and the main cabinetry before sand and paint.

Any questions let me know,
Mark

14272215_949494785178770_96766693_n.jpg

Fe6g2Dt.png

Khw9TQJ.jpg

nice workmanship. What price was the AluCab conversion and any issues with it? (would u do it again?)

There's a Mudder in E. Timor. Let me know if you want an intro.

nice workmanship. What price was the AluCab conversion and any issues with it? (would u do it again?)

Sorry delayed response, we brought a package with the roof and awning, was between 10-15k. Really happy with it, glad we went with this option over a roof top tent and would definitely do it again. The ability to stay inside, cook and eat etc added with the convenience of the roof when wild camping, especially questionable or semi rural areas is great. We are going to upgrade the struts so we can carry a bit more weight though apart from that the build quality and features are well done and thought out.

Good video. Interesting that a lot less storage space (more space inside) than other interior re-fits
Any specific reason for that?
See you have all cooking to be done outside. Presume on the rear door fold down table ; is there an awning over that?

Good video. Interesting that a lot less storage space (more space inside) than other interior re-fits
Any specific reason for that?
See you have all cooking to be done outside. Presume on the rear door fold down table ; is there an awning over that?

Specific reason would simply be we don't need to store anything else. I can't speak on behalf of other fit outs though we didn't see the point of storing things just because there was space. The design philosophy was to ensure we could sit inside comfortably when we wanted while ensuring all the essential supplies, spare parts, tools, food, clothes, hobby equipment etc could still fit. We reverse engineered the storage around this ensuring zero dead space.

Jolie said we 'usually' do the cooking outside though it's definitely not an always. On our last trip we cooked inside when the weather was terrible. Yes, when we do cook outside is on the fold down table on the rear door. There is an LED strip light above for convenience and a 270 degree Alucab Shadow Awning which covers this also.

wonder what your "heres what we pack" compared to others. Presume in essence you travel 'lighter'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom