Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What to do with this stuff now? Weighs a ton and is a mess... Guess it will stay in the box of original stuff should the next owner want to go totally original. That will be a long time from now going to suck hauling all that around.

IMG_8176.JPG

What to do with this stuff now? Weighs a ton and is a mess... Guess it will stay in the box of original stuff should the next owner want to go totally original. That will be a long time from now going to suck hauling all that around.

View attachment 1437986

I've kept mine too... not really sure why. Going original would be pointless on mine. The longer it sits collecting dust outside the more I am considering scrapping it. =)

Can't remember when I bought this clutch hose or maybe it was part of the sale as I haven't bought many things from $OR. But figured that is the last original hose on the cruiser and that I should replace it. Seemed easy enough... Things were going well I was watching the bubbles draining out. And they kept coming... and coming... and coming. This was getting ridiculous. Finally I realized that I had loosened the bleeder valve too much and it was sucking in air. Turned it back some and the bubbles stopped. Not until I used probably 3/4 of a 32 ounce container! Oh well that stuff is pretty cheap and I know any old fluid is out for sure.

IMG_8194.JPG

I think I have a good used spring if you can't find one.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

I think I have a good used spring if you can't find one.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Thanks Georg - I have one installed but am wondering if that is the reason why my gas pedal when lifted up slightly the idle lowers to where it should be. I need to do some additional troubleshooting. Do those springs wear out? Or perhaps the linkage doesn't allow the gas pedal to return all the way?

This is a happy tour for me to read on this post. After reading the whole post, we can get solutions to deal with the trouble quickly and safely. Thanks for your nice sharing.

I'm not sure I understand your post but you're welcome... ;)

Oh for sure. I just love the look of the OEM style soft top. Some day... But yes, I'm focused on the hard top - would like to have that done for the Cross Country expedition trip.
when you figure a guy to do yours let me know i need mine painted and a piece of glass otherwise its pretty straight

I was thinking I wish I had saved a copy of the CA emissions decal that was on my windshield. I was perusing through some old photos and realized I took a photo of it. So with the help of photoshop I recreated the decal! A couple of the letters aren't exactly the same font but it is close enough for me. Now I need to get it printed onto a clear decal... And well my cruiser is desmogged so this really doesn't even apply anymore. ;)

IMG_8443.JPG
CA_emissions_decal_FJ40.jpg

Btw, I had an inquiry about these and am having a few extra made (very small quantity didn't think there would be much demand for a CA 74 F engine emissions decal). PM if you're interested. $4 shipped.

These will be inside window mounted vinyl and apparently the adhesive used is not permanent type so is easily removed without leaving a residue (not sure if it is reusable should you need to replace your window). Supposed to be shipped to me the week of 5/8.

Since this month marks the 3 year anniversary of my purchase thought I would share a couple comparison shots:

IMG_8271.JPG

IMG_8277.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG
IMG_8275.JPG

It's been a fun ride! More good times to come! Thanks too to the IH8MUD members for the support and knowledge shared with me. Couldn't have done it without you!

So I have an interesting thought - I'm going to be picking up my other fiberglass top (the 75 top) and was going to pickup a top side piece to use on my 74. I realized with the ambulance doors though there will be upper hinge holes so it won't work. My buddy who is storing it said why don't you install the ambulance doors on your 74. You have everything between the two of them. I wasn't planning on using the hard top on the 75 restore (OEM style soft top is the plan).

How difficult is it to convert? I have everything necessary. Other questions - how does the ambulance door latch on the tub? I see some issues with the spare tire too since they are on different sides. And the license plate moves to the other side so there will be some electrical to rework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom