3b injector pump problems... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gs - long time 2f'er, trying to get my first 3b up and running....

background:

got an 86 chassis with OME suspension i want to use, then got an 83 3b and 5 speed to put in....had to move the forward engine mounts, among other problems, including a seize over this last winter, which i recently solved with some sea foam, time, and a breaker bar...now that its free, i wanted to get it running before going much further (plans for a 55 dodge power wagon body going on it...)...point of note: engine had run fine up until 10 years ago when it was rolled while cruising down a dirt road. some damage to the oil pan which i repaired, filled with oil, hand cranked a bunch over a number of days...there's compression, as evidenced while spinning the engine with the glow plugs out, and the resistance from cranking. im assuming the injectors will need to be cleaned and pop tested, but before getting there, i need to sort out the injector pump.

i rigged up a fuel supply via an empty quart bottle of oil cleaned and filled with diesel, feeding into the supply line. pumped up the primer real well, bled the lines at the fuel filter, no more air...hooked up some jumper cables to the starter to turn it over, while bypassing the edic by physically pushing the lever all the way to start, forced the throttle body open and spun it up - nothing.

cracked the fuel line at the first injector, spun it again, but not a dribble....

wondering if there is something im missing? thoughts?

20170417_160010.jpg

20170417_160008.jpg

With the EDIC arm popped off the Pump is left in the RUN position.. no need to push the arm anywhere. Try cranking it for a bit longer.. if still nothing.. its possible that the Fuel Rail has gummed up in the closed position.

If it has gummed up, you'll need to take the governor cover off and encourage the rail backwards and forwards to get it moving again..

Here's mine on a 2H (similar pump, but 2 more cylinders, and runs on the opposite side of the engine to the 3B) when I came across the same situation.. I ended up using some light taps on the rail and a hook to slowly get it moving again..

Last edited:
When I prime a 3B for start I always undo the injector lines where they connect to the injector itself and attach a clear tube filled with diesel. I then loosen where the line attaches to the injector pump and the fuel in the tube feeds right down into the line priming it. Once you see it dribble at the injection pump I quickly tighten it. Has saved me lots of cranking to get those lines filled.

Also, if you pop off the EDIC arm where it attached to the lever you were forcing to run it do it by itself once unhooked. Run is the pumps default setting. It requires the EDIC arm to make it shutoff. Kind if a nice feature to know if if yiur EDIC fails. You can then move the lever forward when you want to shut it off.

Most importantly I'd be cranking with glow plugs out to check if the oil pump is primed. If you don't have a gauge you can unhook the oil feed to your alternator and just watch for when oil runs out. Reconnect once primed. In the past I've had pesky engines that I couldn't prime to save my life. A good trick was to overfill the sump by many many litres and slowly crank the engine by hand. This trick immerses the pump gears in oil and they will seal quickly once wet. Yiu the drain off the extra oil. Find be tempted to burp the starter doing this as I suspect you would blow some sea

With the glow plugs out it will spin 3-4 faster than normal and pump the air out. Your pump is most likely full of air.
Do the 3b inline pumps have a bleeder on the pump body?

Yeah i believe it does rosco at the rear top corner of it imediately under the 4th injector. You can crack it and let the air out as the pump body fills.
g

Awesome tips, team. I'm thinking is the rail that's stuck. By governor cover, do you mean the diaphragm cover?

Also wanted to mention, when my jerry rigged fuel bottle is squeezed, I'm getting fuel dribbling out of the #4 injector... By the firewall...there seems to be an over pressure (?) relief hole here, in the hard line that connect all 4 injectors... Sound this be happening?

Awesome tips, team. I'm thinking is the rail that's stuck. By governor cover, do you mean the diaphragm cover?

Also wanted to mention, when my jerry rigged fuel bottle is squeezed, I'm getting fuel dribbling out of the #4 injector... By the firewall...there seems to be an over pressure (?) relief hole here, in the hard line that connect all 4 injectors... Sound this be happening?

Yes, diaphragm cover.. and the diaphragm will have to come out.

If you're getting number 4 injector line spilling fuel under pressure it does seem improbable that the rack is stuck in the closed position, no injector line should dribble with the rack closed.

Its worth reconfirming its bled properly prior to check the rack.

Also.. the rack can be checked by removing the side cover.. you can see the rack moving in this video with the side cover removed..

Last edited:
thanks very much - will check it out...fyi tho - it wasn't fuel coming out the injector line at #4, it was coming out a hole on the hard line thing that connects all four of the injectors...which i assumed would be the fuel return, only its dribbling out of the hole in the side of it rather than the obvious overflow tube....thinking maybethe injector body was not correctly assembled...shims in the wrong place or something? ....seemed odd to me that that would happen....

thanks very much - will check it out...fyi tho - it wasn't fuel coming out the injector line at #4, it was coming out a hole on the hard line thing that connects all four of the injectors...which i assumed would be the fuel return, only its dribbling out of the hole in the side of it rather than the obvious overflow tube....thinking maybethe injector body was not correctly assembled...shims in the wrong place or something? ....seemed odd to me that that would happen....

Gotcha.. that will need to be resolved.. the return line joins onto the inlet of the pump.. so any pressure on the fuel to the inlet will expose a leak in the return line.. even if the rack is closed. There's a small crush washer that may have failed, or sometimes even the rigid return line itself cracks, especially when the injectors have recently been disturbed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom