Who Has Sliders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone actually weighed the running boards? I wonder what the actual weight difference is between them and aftermarket sliders. I am sure there is a difference but I wonder how much.
Factory running boards might weight 25 lbs each if that. I was surprised when i removed mine. Looking at them you wonder how they could even support a full size person standing on them. Sliders are heavy. Not even a comparison. Your talking 200+ lbs versus maybe 50-60 lbs collectively

I ran Slee Step Sliders on my 80. I wheeled all over the country From the Rubicon in California, Black Hills to Flat Nasty in Missouri and 7 years of MOAB and Colorado Wheeling. The held up well. Were wife and kid freindly
l7-jpg.37702

Slee Tube sliders on my 100. They were slippery when wet so I had to add the tape
008-jpg.549842

When it came time for my 200 I wanted to go back to step sliders. Awesome protection. easier to get in and out of the vehicle and a place to stand comfortable when putting things on the roof rack

dsc00906-jpg.1210320

Lots to consider.

I'm curious what the width is between brands? The MetalTechs look like a contender.

Factory running boards might weight 25 lbs each if that. I was surprised when i removed mine. Looking at them you wonder how they could even support a full size person standing on them. Sliders are heavy. Not even a comparison. Your talking 200+ lbs versus maybe 50-60 lbs collectively

in researching sliders a lot of people advertise that they weight between 50-75lbs a side. Assuming that the factory running boards weight 25lbs each that would mean there is potentially a 50-100lb difference in weight. I may be way off on numbers, that is why I wonder if someone has weighed them for comparison.

I think the White Knuckle sliders I put on my FJ60 were 65# each. They're heavy AF.

From my own opinion on past vehicles, having had both step sliders and tube sliders that are angled upward. They both provided me the same feel when I step up into the truck.

Put some grip tape on the tube, and call it a day. But I also don't get ladders on the rear hatch. Just step up on your rear tires.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the other LC options. But on my Land Rover LR4 I started with the OEM "protection tubes". I put tape on them so they wouldn't be slick. I thought they would be fine. Until I tried to replace a tire with a Hi Lift Jack using these "protection tubes" for a jack point. (Yes, I am still very new to off roading and this was 3 years ago. So I did and continue to do stupid things.) Bad idea. The "tubes" bent up toward the vehicle body. I stopped before there was any body damage but clearly these tubes were not meant to protect the body from the steady stress of a High Lift and the weight of, say, 30% of a 2.5 ton vehicle. So I replaced the tubes with true sliders (Voyager) that were 90 lbs per side. Yep, 90 lbs. Loved them. Step sliders. Used them constantly to access the roof. And of course felt much better about "protecting" the side.

If you want something that will truly protect your vehicle, it is going to need to be heavy. If you are looking for decoration or simply a step then stick with the stock running boards. Putting something on that pretends to be a slider but is not heavy duty and attached to the frame is a bad idea as you will likely be over confident in its capabilities.

Because I was so pleased with the Voyager sliders on the LR4, adding Slee sliders was the first mod (after tires) that I did on the LC. I haven't done any serious wheeling yet. May never. But if I am out on a forest road and get in a pickle, I know I at least have that going for me. (Along with recovery gear that I may never need.) Then again, I was an Eagle Scout so the "Be Prepared" motto still works with me to a degree.

From my own opinion on past vehicles, having had both step sliders and tube sliders that are angled upward. They both proving me the same feel when I step up into the truck.

Put some grip tape on the tube, and call it a day. But I also don't get ladders on the rear hatch. Just step up on your rear tires.

I have Slee's step sliders and I still put grip tape on them. (Just don't put it on the side. Keep it on top where it won't rub up against your pants/leg.)

As for a ladder, I get all the way up on my rack so a ladder. Plus, I am old, short and weak. So a ladder is huge for me. But I also put grip tape on my ladder. Heck, I even put some reflector tape on my ladder so I could more easily see where the steps are when climbing down.

I have Slee's step sliders and I still put grip tape on them. (Just don't put it on the side. Keep it on top where it won't rub up against your pants/leg.)

As for a ladder, I get all the way up on my rack so a ladder. Plus, I am old, short and weak. So a ladder is huge for me. But I also put grip tape on my ladder. Heck, I even put some reflector tape on my ladder so I could more easily see where the steps are when climbing down.
Yea know, that makes sense about the ladder for you, thanks for the perspective. In complete seriousness, if you are too old, weak, and short, what do you put in your rack and how do you get it down?

But back to slides, yea grip tape is awesome.

I think the White Knuckle sliders I put on my FJ60 were 65# each. They're heavy AF.

The Bud Builts I had on my Tundra were 126# each. They took some hard hits and held up amazingly.

But I also don't get ladders on the rear hatch. Just step up on your rear tires.

I feel the same way. Foot on top tire, hand on rack, pull yourself up. What's safer; a giant piece of rubber or a narrow, thin "ladder"?

Just my opinion.

For sliders in general, the weight is low and centered, exactly where you want it if you need to add it.

Yea know, that makes sense about the ladder for you, thanks for the perspective. In complete seriousness, if you are too old, weak, and short, what do you put in your rack and how do you get it down?

But back to slides, yea grip tape is awesome.

Good question. Roof top ten (recent purchase). Much easier to do the final packing (putting the cover on) when I can stand on the roor rack. (I should have mentioned that I have a Gobi rack with a mesh floor. I do stand on the tire from time to time as well. As for lifting the RTT on and off, I have a pulley/lift system in my garage.

I also sometimes get up on the roof rack to get a better position for photography or to just enjoy a view. And it is easier to get at my MaxTrax or other equipment off when I can stand on the rack.

At 64, 5'8" I guess I'm not that old or short. But I do like to get up on top of the rack and I couldn't do that without a ladder. But this is all a bit off topic. ;)

tried to line the shots up a bit to give a better idea of the kickout View attachment 1446381

So I just measured the total width of my Slee sliders (hooking the tape measure over the inner edge) and the measure just over 6". But I'm not sure that is the same measurement you are doing. The Slee's extend a bit under the door sill. I'm not sure where you're placing the end of the tape measure. Is it just below the outer edge of the door sill or is it the inner edge of the slider (or maybe both). And maybe I'm being silly even thinking about it. I just noticed that people like the kickout step to stand on but it seems with my Slees I can easily stand on anywhere along the full length of the slider and often do.

So I just measured the total width of my Slee sliders (hooking the tape measure over the inner edge) and the measure just over 6". But I'm not sure that is the same measurement you are doing. The Slee's extend a bit under the door sill. I'm not sure where you're placing the end of the tape measure. Is it just below the outer edge of the door sill or is it the inner edge of the slider (or maybe both). And maybe I'm being silly even thinking about it. I just noticed that people like the kickout step to stand on but it seems with my Slees I can easily stand on anywhere along the full length of the slider and often do.
I was measuring from the edge of the door sill while looking straight down on it as I thought that would be a better measurement for "total stickout".

I noticed the same in those photos. The measurement I'm most interested in is the distance from where the contact point would have been if there were no slider present. So to me, I'd like to measure from the point where rock damage would occur… Which would mean measuring from the body panel just under the door… Out to the edge of the slider. And maybe Kreiten can clarify.

I had to dash out the door, and didn't have a chance to post photos… but can post a bit later…

I noticed the same in those photos. The measurement I'm most interested in is the distance from where the contact point would have been if there were no slider present. So to me, I'd like to measure from the point where rock damage would occur… Which would mean measuring from the body panel just under the door… Out to the edge of the slider. And maybe Kreiten can clarify.

I had to dash out the door, and didn't have a chance to post photos… but can post a bit later…
I was measuring with the door open from the edge of the inner door sill when looking straight down. I guess in my head I thought this would give us the best idea of how good of a step they are and also give us a good measuring point as if we measure the total width of the slider that may not tell us the whole story of how far they stick out and how much protection they offer etc...
email74312.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the illustrations, measurements, thoughts, points and conversation.

How about doing a throw back style running board?

dee_zee_extruded_running_board_000.jpg

I was measuring with the door open from the edge of the inner door sill when looking straight down. I guess in my head I thought this would give us the best idea of how good of a step they are and also give us a good measuring point as if we measure the total width of the slider they may not tell us the whole story of how far the stick out and how much protection they offer etc...
View attachment 1446465

We must have been typing at the same time...because now I see that your post clarifying...was ABOVE my question, and u already answered it!. :)

It's going to be fun to see all these details in Breck...with 30+ rigs all in one place!

**I think it would be cool if at some point on the trip, we all lined up somewhere and actually had time to really compare details vs. just picking up little bits while driving, stopping, etc. As scarce as 200’s are in our daily lives, I'm wondering if we might wanna actually schedule something like that...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom