Fj 40 suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at doing my suspension on a 1971 40 and am wondering price and kits and advice thanks guys.

Some pictures of it right now

20170422_162352.jpg

20170422_162341.jpg

skyjacker/blistein

skyjacker/blistein

/this\

I have been very satisfied with the Skyjacker springs (minus the religious pamphlets :rolleyes:), and the Bilstein shocks made a HUGE difference in ride quality

did I mention I have owned the 40 for more than a dozen years by now and would buy the same set-up again

I run 4+ products anti-inversion shackles in the rear, and some combination of custom and 4+ shackles in the front

Last edited:
I've had them all, OME is only 2.5" but has the best ride. Skyjacker gives you the 4", but the ride wasn't that great. I'd consider the HFS's as well. The best riding spring I had was the BDS, but they aren't making LandCruiser springs any longer. Bilstein shocks are great shocks, I've always run the Rancho 9000's which have treated me well.

For those running the 2.5" OME/Bilstein combo, do you find it gives you sufficient clearance to run 33x12.5 tires?

OME 2.5" recently installed (nitrocharger sport shocks -not bilsteins). For reference, those are 31" tires (shackles were back ordered when I put the springs on so I still have to add those which should add another half in or so in the back). I think 33's would fit

Before
IMG_0922.jpg

After
IMG_0921.JPG

hOOter

OME 2.5" will have sufficient clearance for 33-12.5's if you run flares on the rear, front is not an issue.

Thanks, guys. I might split the difference at 32". I'm a long ways from new tires though....

OME 2.5" with 32X11.50R15

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

Note, my OEM rims have been modified and are 9" wide.

HFS 4 inch lift, longer shackles and 35's. Nice road ride, flexes well and after 12 years it's only sagged an inch. :cool:

20160803_151848.jpg

I went with Pro Comp 2.5". Currently in the motivation mode and primary mental planning mode. Although I have sprayed engine degreaser all over shackles and ubolts and have test loosened them and then retightened. So far nothing frozen. I will soon pull the britches up, take a deep breath and dive in. They have good reviews and decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom