Under truck RED lights for night vision. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I do a lot of boating and flying and we use red lights all the time to keep night vision. I went camping/fishing with a buddy who had an 80 series and at one point we misplaced something, we looked with flashlights to no avail then he hit his under carriage lights (which I thought where ghetto when he first showed me) and the area around his truck lit up and we found the pliers. lol.

Couldn't find anything about under truck red lights for ambient light at night (when needed) without destroying night vision. People have talked about red lights for interior, nothing else that I could find in search.

My company is in North Philadelphia, so I've seen the rainbow of colors, mainly blue or violet, that people put under their hooptie. I only am interested in red for it's purpose of retaining night vision. I don't expect to use it very much, only on occasion when needed. All the lights I've scene are really rated for inside though, some "courtesy" lights are red, but would not hold up under a truck.

In reality I don't want to use them, but if I need them, I don't want to destroy the night sky for everyone else in the campground.

Did I miss something in Search? Anyone have any ideas?

Red, green or blue would maintain a level of Night vision.
Why not just put clear under your 80? When we wheel at night we use our headlights and light bars so keeping our night vision isn't an issue.

Underglow lights come in different colors. Check your state for color rules, mostly it's about anything distracting or that could be mistaken for something else. Amazon carries the lights.

Why not just put clear under your 80? When we wheel at night we use our headlights and light bars so keeping our night vision isn't an issue.

But it would affect others at a camp ground. That's my concern.

How long to you plan to keep them on? Seems more like a "sh*t, dropped my pliers" thing for 20 seconds. I don't think anyone will be that disturbed. They might think you're throwing a rave party or sacrificing a goat if you light up red :hillbilly:

A campground is where you stop and make camp.

IMG_2826.JPG

Last edited:
easy enough to do with some red led rock lights but I don't really see the need. If you are driving off road at night you most likely are using your driving lights as well and other off road lights? hunting, hiking, etc I could see the need but not four wheeling.

Under carriage RED colored lights would be good for nightcrawler hunting!
The bright light makes them go back in there hole, at warp speed.

I used some red Vision X led lights under because I had them and wanted to use them for something. I also have white led lights pointing down from f/r bumpers. I have them mounted to a cross member in the middle of the fj, one pointed down and forward and the other next to it pointed down towards the rear.

I think if you spaced em out right and pointed em straight down, 2 would be enough but itd be nice to have 4 maybe. The white leds f/r fill in some of the shadows for sure.

The lights came off an underground mine side by side, they were using them as brake/tail lights so they were constantly exposed to water and caustic mud as well as vibration. So they're about as tough as a light as you're going to find.

Two of these.
3.4" Utility Flood - Vision X USA

They come in several colors.

A32A1494-7507-4C86-B712-B6C79554A483_zpshlwimetf.jpg

53C5CE54-9A13-408B-BD92-C231E2B3F084_zps8llmvaps.jpg

63C4CC11-26F3-4E02-967C-D465B8A18E37_zps7wdjdm7b.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't know about green. The potential problem with blue is that it is apparently the first part of the spectrum to go as we age – so it may not work all that well for older Cruiserheads...

Didn't know about green. The potential problem with blue is that it is apparently the first part of the spectrum to go as we age – so it may not work all that well for older Cruiserheads...

We studied distance recognition in the Corps, and over the distance of 500 yards, green was the hardest to spot, followed by blue, then red. That was around 1987-89? By the time I retired in 2007 every light set came with red, blue and green filters instead of just red.

Couldn't find anything about under truck red lights for ambient light at night (when needed) without destroying night vision. People have talked about red lights for interior, nothing else that I could find in search...

Did I miss something in Search? Anyone have any ideas?

What you're after are called ROCK LIGHTS. They're quite popular among the Jeep guys out here in Northern California.

There are LOTS of options out there, but I saw these at an event last year & they seem to have some definitive benefits over others. While they are a bit more pricey than some, they are quite durable.

https://www.sneveysoffroad.com/led_rock_light_kits

Many of the popular systems are actually MULTI-Colored RGB & can be controlled via Bluetooth by your smartphone.

What I'd really like to see is an option for RGB AND WHITE lights all in one pod.

Some headlamps are coming with green in lieu of red

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom