I think I'm in the owners club now! 2003 117k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, just went and looked at this today, made an offer, which was accepted. No money has changed hands yet though as the seller has a bank lien on the vehicle, so we set up a time we could meet at his bank. So, there is still some time for you guys to stop me if you think this is stupid :)
And I have a question about cleaning carpets... Any advice for shampooing them or cleaning them?

It's a 2003 and has between 117 and 118k (seller drives it to work currently). Seller appears to be second owner. Has owned it for about 7 years, it's been the family wagon, many trips to the beach etc. with the four kids. And that's the part that shows. Interior is absolutely filthy. It was cleaned out and a quick simple vacuum, but there is debris in all the nooks and crannies and the carpet is stained and the floor mats even have some melted crayon. But mechanically it seems very sound. I drove it at both low speed and highway speed (70mph). Ran beautifully, no shakes, rattles, shimmies, jimmies, squeaks or untoward noises at all. Other than that I think the rearview mirror needs tightening as it was vibrating even though I couldn't even feel anything. Stopped if you put your hand on it. All test driving was on pavement so didn't test engaging the CDL. No check engine lights. Crawled underneath it, there is some dirty grease on the front CVs, but it does not seem to be actively throwing any grease at all and they generally appear in great shape. As does everything else underneath. Zero, and I mean zero rust. factory paint underneath, no undercoating covering things up, etc. No drips. All shields seem to be present. Has had regular oil changes, and brakes front and rear were recently replaced. Tires are in excellent shape (factory wheels, highway style tires). But timing belt and water pump have NOT been replaced. I think maintenance has meant keeping up with the wear items and oils changes. So, I'll need baseline all the rest of the maintenance. Has some nicks and dings typical of the age of the vehicle. Worst of it is a rub on the passenger side front bumper and someone slightly bent the drivers side passenger door at the very bottom which cause a small paint crack and some light surface rust, which is the only rust I could find.
Seller was asking $16,500, but given the filthiness of the vehicle I offered $14k. He accepted. Decent deal for a fairly low mileage vehicle that seems mechanically sound, even it it is filthy inside?

Pics:

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

Congrats man,

Clean her up, baseline what you need and go drive that thing!

Mileage and year seems good, exterior seems decent minus the front bumper scratch and door rust. When i buy a used car, my main concern are 3 things, and in this order, 1. Smooth idling/running engine 2. Smooth shifting transmission 3. Minimal rust from the under carriage

The rest you can fix easily, take that carpet to a good detail shop, and they'll shampoo the crap out of it, detail the leather, wrap the steering wheel and you've got yourself a pretty nice rig.

It's that weird in-between area of lower miles and crappy condition that's throwing it off. I'd say 15-16 if it was clean and timing belt/wp job was done but you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

If you're ok with 14, put on the hazmat suit and clean that girl up and do the maintenance. It's really nasty but salvageable. As long as she's got good bones, ride her. ;)

Nice find. Most have 150K to over well of 200K miles on them.

Since you mention that it is pending, I'd walk away. A vehicle that has been allowed to fall into that level of cosmetic decay obviously has not been cared for. I'd rather a cream puff 150k mile rig owned by an older couple with folders of receipts.

This looks like a bare minimum rig. An oil change here and there and not much more. A car can have 80k miles and be flogged or 150k and be a cherry. It is all owner dependent and that Cruiser just looks tired as can be to me.

It will be a nice truck again with some (lots) of TLC. A dirty interior is reasonable with 4 kids; the owner had his priorities straight by spending time at the beach with the family and not obsessing over a clean vehicle. TB, T's, PM, and a complete interior makeover and you'll be driving the pride of Oregon. I've had good results the 3M Carpet Shampoo, but you may need to remove carpets to get them really cleaned up.

Based on my most recent purchase of a 2006 LX with 140K in mint condition inside, almost mint outside, very recent TB replacemnt....for $16,300......I wouldn't touch that deal, walk and keep looking. Just my opinion.

A weekend in the garage and I think you can have that interior back to normal. With all the carpet cleaning needed, I wouldn't bother with the floor mats. I'd simply drop them in the trash and but a new set from Toyota.

Good luck

Based on my most recent purchase of a 2006 LX with 140K in mint condition inside, almost mint outside, very recent TB replacemnt....for $16,300......I wouldn't touch that deal, walk and keep looking. Just my opinion.

Nice find! That truck would easily be around 20K here in my area.

I'd do as others say, spend some time , baseline it, clean it up and buy some new mats, maybe weather tech , 4 kids can make a heck of a mess. I bought mine with a lot higher mileage and the PO had 2 young kids, they had written on the 3rd row with crayons lol...I love mine but always wish it had lower miles

Well you can argue that with 4 kids, likely he wasn't flooring the gas pedal everywhere he went, drove like a grandma, and just took it easy on the engine. :)

Thanks all for the feedback! While the rigs is dirty, nothing is broken. Even the steering wheel which was mentioned in one of the comments, it has a cover on it now, which looks like crap, but the steering wheel underneath looks fine. Drives great, shifts great, etc. I'm under strict orders from my my wife to NOT do a fly and drive. In the ~6 months I've been looking I've seen some sell locally for ~$7-8k that were pre-03 and way higher mileage and mostly thrashed. Some 00-02 with over twice the milage go for 10-11k. And about 5 06/07 models with ~130k go for $25k faster than I could go look at them. I know this is not the BEST deal to be found on 'MUD, but I'm still thinking it's reasonable from my own experience and the comments above which seem pretty split. Will need complete baseline and thorough deep cleaning, but when I've done that I think I will have a pretty decent rig for less than $16k. I agree with FxFormat's criteria of 1. Smooth idling/running engine 2. Smooth shifting transmission 3. Minimal rust from the under carriage. Which this gets a pass on ALL of those.

Oh, and fwiw, I entered the vin into the Toyota owners site, and it has service history at the same Salem, Oregon Toyota dealer pretty regularly since 2009 and 38k miles. Not much shows up for the more major service items, but it has been enrolled in an oil change program most of that time and getting at least regularly seen by the dealer. Oil changes, tire rotations, one passenger mirror replacement, one key replacement, brake work the only details available via the online records. But nice to see the regular check ins at least. Feeling even more confident that this is likely mechanically sound. Just filthy. $150 detail job will likely do wonders :)

I picked up an 1 owner 03 with 90k miles less then a year ago and been enjoying it immensely. I paid a little more then you will in the end that but it was very clean inside and out with all services done. I did just replace all the stabilizer link and sway bar bushings , they were shot, and it really firmed up the ride also all the door lock actuators for 20 bucks and some time. I think ur assessment is good, based on west coast pricing, that looks like a good deal to me after a couple grand for the major services, baseline and some detail work. Not many left with low miles.

Here is another thought..... We are fortunate to be dealing with a species of vehicle where, very much unlike every other vehicle made, there is really not much difference in a LX/LC with 100k miles and one with 175-200K miles. But you will be required to pay much more for the 100k mile version plus the few expensive maintenance items.

IMO, in general,"low" mileage LX/LC and their price that goes with it....is overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom