Builds "Guinea Pig" GX460 Light Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@visuthdy i haven't installed them yet, but will be doing so the first part of April.

Here's the link to the Ironman Foam Cell Pros FJCruiser/GX470/GX460 Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro w/prebuilt Coilovers

If you only want a leveling kit, the FCPs probably are the way to go for you. You could just use a spacer to level the front up. I ended up thinking that's all I wanted to do, but my plans changed and decided I wanted a more built truck for the occasional wheeling adventures.

Thanks for the links! Did you have to get a differential kit like this kit?
BOSS Suspension System for 10+ 4Runner, FJ and GX460

I haven't decided between Ironman and toytec boss. Ultimately Dream would be icon stage lifts if there's no budget.

@visuthdy i haven't installed them yet, but will be doing so the first part of April.

Here's the link to the Ironman Foam Cell Pros FJCruiser/GX470/GX460 Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro w/prebuilt Coilovers

If you only want a leveling kit, the FCPs probably are the way to go for you. You could just use a spacer to level the front up. I ended up thinking that's all I wanted to do, but my plans changed and decided I wanted a more built truck for the occasional wheeling adventures.

@visuthdy No differential drop kit is needed for the lift. The Ironman FCPs lift about 2".

A bunch of GX470 guys on the GXOR FB Group (GXOR - GX OffRoad) and haven't been happy with the ride quality of the Boss kits. The Boss kit uses a 2" strut and the GX460 is heavier and a 2.5" kit works much better.

The install finally happened this past weekend over at @DanKunz 's house. I haven't confirmed with Mark @ MetalTech, but I believe I'm the first ever GX460 stateside to go Ironman Foam Cell Pros. It was actually easier to install than I had thought. We basically just unbolted the spindle from the UCA, took out the long bolt from the UCA and was able to take out the entire coil. Then just reversed and put the Total Chaos UCA back in. The rear was slightly more difficult due to the KDSS system. We tackled the driver side rear coil first by using a bottle jack and placing it between the frame and axle and jacked it up until the coil popped out. While the first new coil went in fairly easy, the second one was more stubborn. Once one new coil was in the opposite axle wouldn't down travel as far to put the new coil in because of the extended length over stock. We ended up using a ratchet strap to compress the coil some to be able to install. In all it took about 6 hours of actual install time between 2-3 people at any given moment. Having installed it now, I bet we could install another one in 4 hours.

Overall it's definitely a huge improvement over the stock set up and the Bilstein 5100 set up. The ride is much more responsive, but not too firm. I haven't been able to go out and get any really good pictures for a better before and after of the truck, but will plan on doing so soon.

I can't wait to get out and do some wheeling with this set up!

I walked out of Home Depot yesterday and was like "Oh, my, God Becky, look at her butt, it is so big!" I need to go find a stock GX460 for a better comparison on the height.

@stilespendleton did you end up cutting your running boards and reinstalling them around the sliders? it looks much more finished.

out of curiosity, what kind of hit have you taken to gas mileage with the 33" tires? and by the way, your "light build thread" is becoming less and less "light." but thanks for leading the way. i'm sitting on a bone stock 2011 that is gonna need some mods and i'm trying to decide just how much or little to do.

@MGD Hahaha! I originally hadn't planned on doing this much when I first bought the truck, but I've succumbed to peer pressure!

I ended up hacking the original running boards up to reinstall the trim piece. The only down side to doing it is that it makes using the sliders as steps pretty narrow.

I'm averaging about 15-17 mpg right now with the E-rated 275/70 KO2s.

Depending on how much you plan on wheeling I would do things in this order: sliders, lift/tires, skids, bumpers (if one for the GX ever gets made), and then lockers.

I'm not going to commit to any new mods anytime soon, but most likely the next thing I do is full skids.

That looks awesome! Can't wait to install mine when it gets here. Did you have to adjust anything from factory? I did not get the wrench for adjustments.

Thanks! I bought the prebuilt ones from Metal Tech and didn't do any adjustments prior to installing. I bought a spanner wrench off of Amazon to do so down the road.

I wish I had friends and a garage to help. I will need to take it in to a shop to get it installed. I'm trying to gather as much information for installation as possible for shop. They estimated me 6-7 hour install job also. The cheaper quote was $100/hr, some was $120/hr. KDSS probably made it more difficult. Metaltech did not have installation instructions. Saw this online from Ironman and was wondering if you followed it http://www.ironman4x4.com/system/re...nBkZiJdXQ/KDSS Instructions Prado_4Runner.pdf

Install itself was much easier than I expected it to be especially since we were replacing the upper control arms. Between two of us working on it we had the front done in like 1.5-2 hours and also realized that there really wasn't too much that need to be unbolted. We literally unbolted the UCA and ABS/Brake line from the spindle and then took the UCA out, which gave plenty of slack to get the old coil assembly out. If you aren't changing UCA's once you get it unbolted to the spindle it is easy.

I didn't mess with the KDSS valves at all. The KDSS is too expensive for me to go tinkering with, but it might have helped when I was installing the rear!!

I still can't edit my posts yet, but this is the picture from the link if it ends up not working. Metal Tech just announced that they have the GX460 front and rear bumper currently in development.

Looks great, and will be even better once those front and rear bumpers get installed! I spent some time the past few weeks searching for all options on front and rear bumpers. As you probably know, while options exist with ARB, Dobinsons, Kaymar etc... none of them are specific to the GX 460 (made for the Prado 150) and I just did not feel like hacking my fenders to make this option work. I am pumped Metal Tech is starting the production on GX 460 specific bumpers.

I just ordered front and rear springs and struts/shocks (should be delivered today) and I plan to install this weekend. Just to be clear, when you installed the fronts, you did not touch the KDSS bracket, sway bar and/or the LCA? I have done plenty of installs, but this will be the first with the KDSS system. It appears from reading around that most end up either removing the KDSS bracket bolts and using a jack and/or ratchet to relieve the KDSS piston from hanging for an extended time (and to re-install). I plan to install UCA's as well, so if it was really as simple as loosening (then eventually removing) the castle nut from the UCA/spindle, knocking the ball joint loose, then removing the long UCA bolt and the UCA's themselves, then popping out the coils, that is great news. Did you have any issues getting the new coils back in (did you have to compress the spring/strut to get the lower strut bolt in?

@zman7980 I am in the same boat as you in regards to the bumpers. I knew the MT bumpers were coming for a few months, but had been sworn to secrecy!

When we installed the fronts we didn't touch the KDSS system at all. We unbolted the castle nut from the stock UCA/spindle and got the parts apart, which gave more than enough droop to get the strut assembly out. After the strut assembly was out we zip tied the spindle out of the way to put the new coilovers in. We did use breaker bar to get a little leverage to get the bottom eye to line up to put the bolt back in, but noting major.

I will say that getting the long bolt out from the stock UCAs requires you to remove stock plastic shroud (which I threw away), the battery on the driver side and small hands for the passenger side. I was actually suprised how easy the UCA install went.

The rear should have taken less time, but those new springs made it more difficult. If I were going to install again, I'd be sure to use a ratchet strap to springs to compress the springs some to make life easier.

Perfect, this is great to hear. I am glad to hear the front went as smoothly as it did. I will post up some pics after I tackle the install. I am shooting for this weekend, but with kids soccer games and spring starting pop here in CO, I am sure I will have some other priorities competing for my time.

Keep up the great mods, the truck is looking good. As a note, I also ended up hacking the running boards to make the MT sliders I installed look more "clean". There was something about the unfinished look that was driving my crazy.

Geewiz, you can rent spring compressors from autozone. I have never used a strap but I'd imagine it's not the most stable means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom