Question about the PNW market and feasibility of an idea. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
I am planning making my triumphant return to the Pacific Northwest this summer and I am toying with the idea of picking up another Land Cruiser and driving it home.

I am torn between two ideas. I already have a nice 80. I have sunk enough money into quality repairs and maintenance, along with my successful rust reversal process, that I think I might be able to fetch $10K for my truck to the right buyer.

I wouldn't mind starting over though on something that is truly rust free and has lockers, since that is where I see the top dollar being in the future. I don't really want to sell my current truck, but that is mostly because I have already done so much to it. The thing is, I know how to do it all now though and the next one will go much quicker. I want to have an 80 in my stable as a daily and for exploring my region. I will keep my little 2wd Taco as my workhorse and highway travel rig.

My second thought would be to find a 40 that was a little rough, but drivable enough to get me through the mountains and across the great plains. I could maybe muster $8000 for this, and I would want something mostly original, especially the motor and drivetrain.

So do you guys think I should try to do this, or what? I would need to set appointments to look at trucks and then go look some more before I buy.

What are people really paying these days for these trucks?

You covered a good 40 acres in that post. Wow.

To buy a good 80 or especially a 40, on the cheap/reasonable is not super common, so lining up multiple at the same time in a short window would be a real rarity IMO.

IDK what people are paying, I have my next 2nd 80 already lined up when the sellers decide to sell (wife has issues getting in/out, senior couple) - so while I live here I am in a 'vacuum' of sorts since I have the black 80 & the inbound nightshadow blue 80 whenever they choose to finally change vehicles.

I can't even comment to the 40 market, not my A/O.

You covered a good 40 acres in that post. Wow.

To buy a good 80 or especially a 40, on the cheap/reasonable is not super common, so lining up multiple at the same time in a short window would be a real rarity IMO.

IDK what people are paying, I have my next 2nd 80 already lined up when the sellers decide to sell (wife has issues getting in/out, senior couple) - so while I live here I am in a 'vacuum' of sorts since I have the black 80 & the inbound nightshadow blue 80 whenever they choose to finally change vehicles.

I can't even comment to the 40 market, not my A/O.

I guess what I am driving at is whether or not people here know about trucks there that may or may not be for sale. The way people from your area look at and think about cars is drastically different than the way we think about them where I live now. As I recall from my days of living in Oregon more than 20 years ago, I remember people just driving around in older cars that those of us in the salt belt could only dream of.

I would be open to paying for Mud member's time in order to help me with the process. Maybe you know about a real nice truck or one that needs attention and you think the owner could use a bit of cash.

I am trying to open up a dialog. I am not trying to steal all of the good trucks and move them here, but the reality is that people want them. I would also consider picking up a third generation 4Runner and driving that back for a friend that wants one as a snow rig/second car for his ski kid lifestyle.

I am asking for a favor, I guess.

Quit horning in on our cruiser action! Lol

Quit horning in on our cruiser action! Lol
I feel that man. I am not here to control the market or flip trucks. I mostly just love futzing around with them and once you get one close to done, you have to look at it and ask if you couldn't do better. I like my 80, a lot. I wouldn't mind having another project and I want to stick with my previously stated position to myself that I need rust free. The fact that the 80 isn't rust free is a source of much consternation on my part. I can't help but feeling like I am polishing a turd.

Many attribute it to Warren Buffett, but I believe it was actually John Templeton who said, buy low, sell high. I believe the same can be said for Land Cruisers. Lots of risk and reward between those two endpoints :D

Tons of folks on this forum scouring every inch of the real and internet space every minute of every day to look for these trucks to drive, resell, collect - you name it. So unfortunately this is probably not the best place to ask your question...which is ironic if you really think about it :cool:

Many attribute it to Warren Buffett, but I believe it was actually John Templeton who said, buy low, sell high. I believe the same can be said for Land Cruisers. Lots of risk and reward between those two endpoints :D

Tons of folks on this forum scouring every inch of the real and internet space every minute of every day to look for these trucks to drive, resell, collect - you name it. So unfortunately this is probably not the best place to ask your question...which is ironic if you really think about it :cool:
You're right. It was a long shot and it's funny that we never talk about it. They're cult cars. Everyone knows.

Still though, wouldn't it be sweet if I posted this and somebody was like, "You know, Red Merle, I like the cut of your jib. I know a guy that knows a guy that has twenty of those lying in warehouse. I'll ask him for the key"

Sorry, tech is slow. I guess I was just dreaming.

I was just saying there isn't enough to go around. But I know what you mean about polishing a turd, I've owned a couple real turds. But myth busters proved a tire can be polished to a pretty high luster lol.

I was just saying there isn't enough to go around. But I know what you mean about polishing a turd, I've owned a couple real turds. But myth busters proved a tire can be polished to a pretty high luster lol.
Mine isn't a turd. The body is 97% solid and the paint shines and the motor and all of the running gear have been gone through. I am in the process of procuring a new exhaust system and the only item left will be replacing the gas tank skid plate and rebuilding the gas tank delivery system once I get a look at it.

It still feels like I could not be doing all of these things and just just pick some mall cruiser and start over and maybe swap some parts to make one really nice one. My interior is mint.

If your interested in a couple of 40's here in Colorado I can give you a lead. Unfortunately they are a little more than the 8 K you mentioned.
These 40's are drivable. Although more than the price you want to pay, your paying up front the 10K you would eventually put into the restoration anyway.
I have nothing to gain from this. I stumble across them the other day when I was looking at a 1950 GMC cab over

devo

If your interested in a couple of 40's here in Colorado I can give you a lead. Unfortunately they are a little more than the 8 K you mentioned.
These 40's are drivable. Although more than the price you want to pay, your paying up front the 10K you would eventually put into the restoration anyway.
I have nothing to gain from this. I stumble across them the other day when I was looking at a 1950 GMC cab over

devo
PM me some details on those.

Might as well Skip the 40's.
All the budget drive-able ones go faster than Crab Legs at a Soup Kitchen.

I get you. I have a '69 Travelall (International) - that is the '68 body b/c it was special ordered as a 3/4T 4wd. What do I use it for? -steel storage. It ran when I parked it, a good 7-8yrs ago.

Have a rust-free '68 Camaro, and Dad has a '47, '53 Willy's P/U & wagon, the wagon had rust in a gutter, but that was it. PO even had latex paint on it just so the hood & roof didn't start peeling & rotting. Ugly, but it works out here.

He's got some early 50's C/O too, and a '41-ish International truck (no VIN, had a oak skeleton) - skins were all fine, even the floorboards.

We just don't rust the undercarriages like lots of places.

I'm happy to look at a 80 if you find it - I literally tripped over the up & comer as it's a neighbor of the guy whose dock I moor at, older couple /1st owners of a nightshadow /tan '97 - we already talked plenty over the years & know I'll buy it when that day comes. I'm not greedy, I have had plenty of nice 80's & can simply keep mine now & be content.

Find one that's reasonably close to me, I'll go scout it NP. Take it wherever, if you buy it's yours. If CA got pissy over us buying all the old muscle cars there wouldn't be room for all the fancy new cars that rotate through, my POV.

Edit - Forgot Dad's bought my 1/2 & owns the '69 442 conv too - it has rust @ the rear quarters where the top folds in though, but none underside - another lifelong WA car.

Last edited:
Theres lots of 80s in the seattle tacoma area. Always plenty on cl or offerup but a real deal is is going to be had setting up email notifications so you can jump on a fresh screaming deal immediately. The one's that have been online for more than a few days have most likely been looked over by mud guys and left alone. The ones up for months? Ya ...either dumps or insanely overpriced. Ive had good luck spotting one in the wild, walking by to spot the magic dial, leave a note under the wiper if theyd like to sell

I know where and fj40 has been sitting in an old mans yard in my town for the better part of twenty years. He may be the original owner. I could probably "cruise" around town for a few hours and find another one or two just sitting there.

The problem for you is getting it home unless you have a truck and trailer. Most original 40's I see for sale go for much more than the $8000 you spoke of spending unless it's in boxes. :hillbilly:

also consider that if you have not owned a 40 before, going from an 80 series to a 40 series you are going from coil sprung long wheelbase to a short wheelbase leaf sprung vehicle. The 40's IMO are tough on the body for long distance driving compared to the 80 series. Just a thought you should consider if you are looking to use it for touring purposes.

I just looked at an 80 in Kansas City.
No lockers
PS doesn't work (had a new pump installed and immediately broke the shaft or gear)
It overheats after 25 minutes of driving
The cooling system was just flushed
New PB booster (FLAPS)
No second row seats
Third row seats ARE there.
Driver's door handle broke off
Cloth front seats
Sunroof (I'll bet it leaks)
A 3" diameter torch-cut hole in the rear deck lid where some tweaker decided he needed the gold bling from the sombrero emblem!
Hail damage evenly spread around on the entire vehicle
Dark blue
Grey interior w/ tan headliner.......
Battery is almost dead
Tires are almost bald (285/75-16)
No rear wind deflector
Yes factory roof rack
Yes factory hitch
No factory running boards.
Does have the factory front mud flaps for no running boards.
Title: MIGHT be there. (Dealers don't "need" titles......) according to the guy I talked to.......

All for the measly low price of $3000.

He is selling it as a "beater-trail rig".

I didn't bother crawling under it.

I was hoping to buy it as parts, even then, there wasn't much that was worth anything.

The guy was trying to tell me about all the stuff he knows about the LC's. Then he started telling me about all the problems it had. Then I told him that he wanted way too much for it and how much I paid for the DD I have. He considers the LC and the LR the only TRUE SUV and the "only thing" to have as he climbed into his new Jeep Grand Cherokee.........

Let me know if you're interested. I'll send you his contact info and a couple pics.....

@ Red Merle I think you would have a better vacation if you set your expectations low that you will pick up a rig while out west. If while you are here something comes up you'll at least be within striking distance to make it happen, but it won't be the whole point of the trip.

I've toyed with the idea of selling mine to find a lower mileage locked version but the market for those is too hot at the moment. I figure I'm better off dialing mine in as needed and applying the money to PM and mods as I go. In addition mine has a known history, is super clean and after having it almost two years I know whats happening with every nook and cranny.

I would second what @LINUS suggests; have one lined up from someone who will likely sell in the future if at all possible. Low stress and no market competition if you have a decent offer.

Let us know when you head out west and want to come for a group run. CENTRAL OREGON LANDCRUISERS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom