What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting question, Lee. Lexus cannot deny you warranty claims as long as you used a fluid which was comparable to the factory fluids. In this case, the Maxlife is a suitable substitute, so I'm not sure the dealer could say no unless their reasoning was that they want to use factory fluid, and their machine is already filled with it, etc.

Just picked up an NIB OEM radiator with top and bottom hoses from CL for only $75

Hoses will be carried as trail spares for now and radiator will be a backup on the shelf.

*EDIT*
Just looked up the price of a new OEM radiator on Lexus Parts Now and they want $378 for the radiator. I knew I was getting a deal but Damn! That is a sweet deal. the guy I had bought it from had traded his GX in for a GS350 and had no use for it.

Last edited:
I cleaned up my fender wells, body seam, and chopped iron man bumper, and added some front jounce! Just got it out of the shop. True 35"x12.50 Ridge Grapplers to give you an idea of scale. Also added Lotus axles and changed to 650# springs up front. Rides sooo goood.

17499336_10154517748013123_8828697573199814464_n.jpg

17425071_10154516867578123_3049725667079764432_n.jpg

Keep us informed as to the GX's road manners with that motel atop your rig.....looks awesome!
Thanks as always @tlin. I've only done 100 miles or so with the motel up there and I have to say I can barely tell it's there other than some additional wind noise. So far MPG not affected but it's all been freeway and flat roads. I almost always have a Yakima cargo box so MPG hasn't been my concern regardless. And having the RTT feels just about the same as the cargo box when full in terms of any body roll. Minimal. What I'm really trying to figure out now is where to put the Maxtrax. Thinking of using them as a "fairing" off the front of the RTT but can't quite figure out how without it looking ridiculous. They may end up going on the ladder in a Blue Ridge maxtrax bag.

I did it with a string and radius from the wheel hub, then eyeballing the line out where it looked good. Then I used the same string to measure to the same points on the other side.

2017 GX460 wheels and tires installed on the 470. Pleased with the look and couldn't beat the price.

Anyone need a set of GX470 Wheels and tires?
TyBtC9fl.jpg

TrzJOzjl.jpg

Replaced the actuator in my transfer case. :cry:
Locked the center diff during our snow storm a couple of weeks ago to get through some 15+ inches of snow (no problem! :)), and it refused to unlock after every possible combination of backing up or driving forward while going straight / turning / coasting, etc., over a couple of days. Bought my 2008 from South Carolina last fall, and I bet that center lock button and likely never been pushed. Use it or lose it ...

Replaced the actuator in my transfer case. :cry:
Locked the center diff during our snow storm a couple of weeks ago to get through some 15+ inches of snow (no problem! :)), and it refused to unlock after every possible combination of backing up or driving forward while going straight / turning / coasting, etc., over a couple of days. Bought my 2008 from South Carolina last fall, and I bet that center lock button and likely never been pushed. Use it or lose it ...

Did you replace it yourself? If so, did you drop the transfer case or did you unbolt / pull out the actuator at the risk of cracking the internals / messing up the timing?

I ask because mine is leaking and I would rather not drop the transfer case to fix the leaks.

Separating yourself from the pack for sure......would be awesome to see that on the trails some day.

Did you ever install a larger rear ('10+ FJ or other)?

I put in nitro 4.56 in the 8" stock rear and locked it with ARBs front and rear.

Did you replace it yourself? If so, did you drop the transfer case or did you unbolt / pull out the actuator at the risk of cracking the internals / messing up the timing?

I ask because mine is leaking and I would rather not drop the transfer case to fix the leaks.

I had to local Toyota dealer do it, and my understanding is they dropped the transfer case.

Interesting.

Will a dealer do a fluid exchange if you bring a specific fluid in? I would strongly consider going to Amsoil's offering.
They should, especially if the vehicle is out of warranty. The Toyota dealer I took my Tacoma to actually uses MaxLife fluid instead of WS. If for some reason they refuse, I'm sure an independent shop would do a drain and fill for you.

I wager that was close to 3k. Ouch.

About how much did that run you?
Not as much as I thought it might have cost. I paid $1047 for an OEM part (LEXUS OEM 3641060083 Transfer Case Motor), and $285 for labor. Out the door with tax it was $1438. You can get the part for about 25% less online, but as I don't have the confidence to do this myself, I was willing to pay the extra to the shop.

That isn't bad!

Took mine to the dealership for curtain airbag recall.

Added LED headlights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom