Builds Removing SBC conversion, going back to Toyota. 1972 Frame Off (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It snowed like crazy here today, yesterday was 70*, all we got was a muddy mess.

The weather has been insane here as well.

An -6 fittings/hose arrived today for the power steering pressure line. I havnt decided if it will run a cooler yet.

20170310_175131.jpg
20170310_175127.jpg

Soooo....you owe me about 5 hours. A morning well spent. Beautiful, just beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the kind words. The weather has been a little frustrating lately so the progress has been crawling.

Friday, the painters gave the media blaster the go ahead so bodywork should be progressing again.

Today I scored a 1972 only headlight switch from @RAGINGMATT .

$_1 (2).JPG

20170310_095732.jpg

@cruiseroutfit

Kurt, I have been planning the steering column (older 1 piece) and think I have it under control.

I am going to cut the inner column as long as possible and install rag joint adaptor at the correct length.

I can use the bronze bushing or the bearing to center the inner shaft at the end of the outer column housing. The firewall mount gets the bolt holes drilled and is welded to the outer column. I'll probably use a piece of weather tech mat to fit between the plate and firewall.

Do you have any pics or recommendations on how long the outer column housing should protrude past the firewall? How do you recommend fastening the bushing or bearing at the end of the outer column?

Thanks,

Jesse

20170315_191413.jpg

@cruiseroutfit

Kurt, I have been planning the steering column (older 1 piece) and think I have it under control.

I am going to cut the inner column as long as possible and install rag joint adaptor at the correct length.

I can use the bronze bushing or the bearing to center the inner shaft at the end of the outer column housing. The firewall mount gets the bolt holes drilled and is welded to the outer column. I'll probably use a piece of weather tech mat to fit between the plate and firewall.

Do you have any pics or recommendations on how long the outer column housing should protrude past the firewall? How do you recommend fastening the bushing or bearing at the end of the outer column?

Thanks,

Jesse

View attachment 1421467

Sorry just seeing this.

The bronze bushing is a press fit, its tight into the outer housing. Personally I prefer using the bearing and putting a few small tack welds on the outer edge of the bearing to the race, being careful not to get it hot. Another option we've been playing with is using a lock-collar to hold the bearing up.

As for cutoff length, this help:
IMG_2018.JPG

@FJ40Jim ,

1984 2F

Water pump is a 76-78 FJ55 w/oil cooler no fan clutch

Fj60 Oil Cooler

Stock FJ40 Radiator

I am having issues with the lower hoses. The rigid oil cooler pipe for a 60 doesn't want to fit with the water pump. The 60 lower hose to Union, union, and union to pump hose also don't want to work together.

I am thinking of treating the lower rad to union hose, union and union to water pump hose as a '78ish 2F FJ40 and the oil cooler to water pump hoses as '78 2F FJ55. Am I on the right track?

While cruising ebay last weekend, this '73 caught my attention. Being only 30 miles away, I had to stop and look. It was nicely done but had some minor things that needed completed. Loose wires in the engine bay, some loose bolts, fuel guage etc.

Today, painters were ramping up on the tub. Plugging holes and getting the roll bar supports installed.

Thinking about the dash, we scored a correct choke cable. Slowly but surely have been accumulating the correct dash switches. A dakota digital guage cluster will be installed after the tub comes home from paint.
20170403_103831.jpg
20170403_135757.jpg
20170403_134733.jpg
20170403_212016.jpg

Tech alert.

After beating my face against the wall for over a week trying to figure out why my oil cooler pipe wouldnt go into place, I've got it. Thanks to @Phatty for letting me look under his hood this morning.

The early splash guards don't have a cut out for the rigid oil cooler pipe.

After a date with the holesaw and a quick squirt of paint, my early splash guard now has a cutout for the oil cooler pipe. I could have used a smaller hole, but this one felt right.

20170405_193857.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom