3FE (1991 FJ80) alternator removal questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I did a search and found some conflicting reports on the way to remove the alternator on a 3FE 80 Series. Do I need to remove the air pump to get access to the alternator? Any other words of wisdom on the best way to swap an alternator in this engine?

Thanks--

The FSM does not say to remove the air pump, but I can't imagine trying to squeeze it out of there with the air pump in place. the air pump is two bolts and two hoses and it's out. Once it is out of the way the alt. is easily accessed.

I'm a little late on this but yea, remove the air pump. You can also pull out the resonator and associated hoses. That really opens up the area.

Don't forget to disconnect the positive battery terminal before you get started. The hot terminal of the alternator is very close to the exhaust manifold heat shield.

While you're in there, inspect the power steering lines that run off the box. The low pressure line runs VERY close to the alternator fan. Ask me how I know...

I'm a little late on this but yea, remove the air pump. You can also pull out the resonator and associated hoses. That really opens up the area.

Don't forget to disconnect the positive battery terminal before you get started. The hot terminal of the alternator is very close to the exhaust manifold heat shield.

While you're in there, inspect the power steering lines that run off the box. The low pressure line runs VERY close to the alternator fan. Ask me how I know...

Thanks for the advice! I'll check that out.

Got the alternator out tonight with no problems (other than some cut-up knuckles). Hopefully the reinstall tomorrow will be as easy...

The smog pump hoses were the hardest to remove; they were really hard to remove with the "lip" on the smog pump metal inlets.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom