7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info. Yep, I hope to sneak new tires on it soon. Taking the running boards off is going to be a bit trickier. We needed a second vehicle for my Wife, and one that she could take folks out in to look at houses. Had to be 4WD, reliable, comfy, and we wanted to stay well under $20K. Anyway, she said just get whatever. That never happens! Well OK then! So we have a new to us 2004 Land Cruiser. We already have a 2002 Tundra AC that's our trail/camping rig, and is plenty beat up. That said...will be hard to convince her I need to do much modifying to the Land Cruiser. She likes the running boards, and thinks it's nice for when folks are getting in/out. Pretty sure Slee might make a nice substitute. Tires...I'll just tell her it's a safety thing.
I yanked mine off the night before leaving last year in the rain. Took 20 minutes tops and that included a beer break. Throw them back on when you get home it you need them.

Last edited:
Sliders by no means are necessary, especially at HIH. If you're doing mild, overlanding stuff you can get by without them. But even with my mild wheeling, I still crunched my running boards a couple time due to the small breakover angle. Replacing the running boards with some step-sliders is cheap insurance for an unlifted, long wheel base vehicle. It will cost a lot more to fix a crunched rocker panel than the cost of sliders.

Question?
When registering for this event will we need to pick trails for each day, like Cruise Moab requires?
Any idea how many are planning on attending?

Last edited:
Question?
When registering for this event will we need to pick trails for each day, like Cruise Moab requires?
Any idea how many are planning on attending?

During registration you will just choose the drivers shirt size (1 included)choose and purchase the number of additional dinners (2 are included) you need, and purchase any extra shirts, hoodies, stickers you wish to. Trail selections and alternative activity selections will be another process in the May timeframe. Expecting up to 100 rigs this year.

Thx

Also for someone that lives on the east coast at sea level, I was thinking about coming a bit early to start to acclimate to the higher altitudes. I've personally never had an issue with it but not sure about the others that will be coming with. How long should I plan to come before hand to try and acclimate to the altitude?

Silverton sits at 9,000 feet ASL. That's a high elevation for anyone living below 3,000 feet. The bonus is that we'll all be driving to that area and your body will be acclimating along the way. It's much more pronounced for folks flying to Colorado and heading straight up to the mountains. You'll have the benefit of slowly climbing in elevation enroute to Silverton. For those traveling through Kansas on the way here, you'll gain 4,000 feet just crossing that state.

Altitude Sickness is a real thing and isn't really something that can be predicted. Regardless of what kind of physical shape you're in, you'll either do well at altitude, or you wont. Altitude Sickness has nothing to do with physical condition and everything to do with your body's ability to acclimate.

Being out of breath after walking across the campground on day one is normal. You may feel a little nauseous and even a little dizzy. You may end up with a pretty sizable headache and may not sleep well your first night here. The important thing to monitor is whether you're getting better or worse.

Let your body do what it needs on day one. Relax, don't do a bunch of hiking or running around, avoid lots of alcohol, drink lots of water, eat a high carb meal, take a nap, etc. Act like you're on vacation. This gives your body the time it needs to adjust. It's difficult to keep kids from overdoing it on day one. They're psyched to be out of the vehicle, there are tons of other kids running around, and kids generally love just being kids. They're just as susceptible to Altitude Sickness as adults, but they may not recognize the symptoms.

With all of that being said, this is Colorado. The ski/snowboard capitol of the United States. Think about how many people fly from sea level to Denver airport, then drive straight to the mountains and ski all weekend. (not a good idea, but something that's done fairly often)
@aegustafson is a paramedic in Aspen (and part of the Hooligans Crew) and can really shed some light on what he sees throughout the year from folks flying in from sea level.

Unless you or your family members are getting markedly worse by the hour, it's not something that should ruin your trip. We will travel over 13,000 feet almost every day. Even I feel lightheaded above 13,000 feet.

Here are some elevations around the area if symptoms seem to be worsening or not improving at all. Usually, a few hours at a lower altitude will fix everything. You don't need to drive all the way home to feel better. A few thousand feet can make a huge difference.

Silverton - 9,305 feet
Ouray - 7,800
Ridgway - 6,900
Durango - 6,500
Montrose - 5,800

Is it likely that this is going to sell out? I was planning on fishing on Sunday and probably won't be around a computer until about 5 hours after registration opens. Do I need to get the wife to sign us up?

Is it likely that this is going to sell out? I was planning on fishing on Sunday and probably won't be around a computer until about 5 hours after registration opens. Do I need to get the wife to sign us up?

Really hard to speculate this. Last year, sold about 65 spots in less than 5 min. We will have more spots, but I would not want to promise anything.

thx

OMG!!!! I just got a notification from calendar that I only have 24 hours before registration starts!!!!!!

I wish we could make the trip this year to this awesome event. Living in Indiana leaves a lot to be desired in the "scenic view" aspect of the hobby we love. The green light has been given for next year. I can't wait to see all of your pictures at the end of summer.

I was looking at Googal earth and it looks like plenty of room at the Kendall area to camp, just wonundering if there will be designated organised camping or a free for all thing. All's good what ever it is, I might arrive early in the area and what to set up camp. When will the Kendall area be ready to occupy for camping?

I was looking at Googal earth and it looks like plenty of room at the Kendall area to camp, just wonundering if there will be designated organised camping or a free for all thing. All's good what ever it is, I might arrive early in the area and what to set up camp. When will the Kendall area be ready to occupy for camping?
@bluecruiser and @paflytyer think just about everything when it comes to this event!
Just like last year, there will be some organizing (at least on the first couple days as folks arrive in small batches) as far as getting ground tents one way, trailers another way, RTTs slightly over here, big ass trailers way over there and so on! Just to make things a bit easier for the kind of camping you'll be doing as well as the ones around you.
As the batches of trucks get heavier it gets a bit more challenging to keep that up tho!

@B-RAD is the gate keeper and will have everyone positioned correctly to maximize space. We're not overly concerned because we do have ample space, but we do expect the area to fill up quickly. Please be mindful when arriving. Check-in at the lodge, get your packet and then make your way to the camp area. We will have standard registration times and a registration table this year.

We cannot camp at Kendall until Wednesday. There are tons of areas to camp around Silverton. As we get closer, we'll post up a few suggestions and maps for those arriving early. There are some VERY cool areas to camp with 30-45 mins. Some only large enough for 2-3 vehicles.

Today is the day....... @bluecruiser and I have received a ton of emails asking about the waitlist, likelihood of getting in after today, possibility of opening more spots, etc.

This is new territory for us. HIH has grown so much in the last few years that we're not totally sure how registration will go. Along with getting bigger and better, we've had to raise the registration fee to cover all the associated costs. If we opened this event to non-100 owners, we could easily register 300 vehicles. That's not really the direction we're looking to go though. This is still the laid-back, intimate gathering of 100 Series owners that it's always been, it's just a little more organized. We continue to learn each and every year. Your feedback and questionnaire answers from HIH6 were very helpful.

We will have a waitlist. We do have much more room. We do expect the event to fill to capacity. We also expect that most folks looking to register, will be able to do so. We will make every effort to have a spot available for every 100 series owner wishing to attend.

Register at www.100sinthehills.org

Please note that the web address has changed from last year. It's now .ORG instead of .com. This new site is more secure and professionally built for registration purposes.

IMG_0092.JPG
Let's do this

Really!
Over Achiever!
I might have to do the same set-up!

Today is the day....... @bluecruiser and I have received a ton of emails asking about the waitlist, likelihood of getting in after today, possibility of opening more spots, etc.

This is new territory for us. HIH has grown so much in the last few years that we're not totally sure how registration will go. Along with getting bigger and better, we've had to raise the registration fee to cover all the associated costs. If we opened this event to non-100 owners, we could easily register 300 vehicles. That's not really the direction we're looking to go though. This is still the laid-back, intimate gathering of 100 Series owners that it's always been, it's just a little more organized. We continue to learn each and every year. Your feedback and questionnaire answers from HIH6 were very helpful.

We will have a waitlist. We do have much more room. We do expect the event to fill to capacity. We also expect that most folks looking to register, will be able to do so. We will make every effort to have a spot available for every 100 series owner wishing to attend.

Register at www.100sinthehills.org

Please note that the web address has changed from last year. It's now .ORG instead of .com. This new site is more secure and professionally built for registration purposes.

Another thing guys...no need to rush through the registration. The registration app holds your spot for 12 minutes while you fill everything out!

20 minutes out!!

Another thing guys...no need to rush through the registration. The registration app holds your spot for 12 minutes while you fill everything out!

20 minutes out!!
Cool, thanks for the info on not rushing! Unless that's what you tell all the newbies to slow them down!!!!cant wait hope to get a spot!

OMG...the site is loading slow....we are going ddos the server! I wonder if we need to keep refreshing the page for the link to start working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom