What would you do?

Votes: 42 87.5%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • Not locked

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have spent he last couple of days reading about regearing my 100 series. Seems like the general consensus , is with a 2001 4 speed tranny 4.88 with 33 inch tires. when I bought tires (33 inch) I was not planning on regearing. Now I have a camper that I pull with the lx that weighs 3300 pounds, and the truck is really hunting for gears. We plan on pulling the camper all over the US to visit National parks or other points of interest. If I would have known that I would do a regear I would have ran a 34 or 35 inch tire and went with 5.13. I have had lockers in the past on a LJ rubicon that I did rock crawl. I don't feel like I need lockers on my lx, but am not against it. Budget is always a factor, but I believe in doing something once and getting it right to avoid doing it twice.
So hear is my questions:
1. 4.88 or 5.13 for my situation with towing and will it pull at highway speeds70 or so?

2. Lockers or no lockers ( I always thought if your in there might as well)?

3. Will 5.13's sceam at highway speeds with only 33's?

4. Does anyone have some suggestions for shops in the KC area, I am aware of 4x4 land in Topeka (I would like to compare a couple of quotes)?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I do appreciate and respect the experience and opinions you may have on the subject. Thank you!

Jason

Tow with overdrive off and it won't hunt gears.

Thank you for the reply. I do play with to o/d button. It diffenetly helps. But even in Kansas on very small hills it drops gears and hits mid 4000 RPM's at 60 to 63 MPH. I would like to get some of the power back to help run speeds closer to 70. At the same time if regearing will not acomplish my goals, I would rather save the cash.

Even though it's expensive to re-gear, I'm going to do it when I get bigger tires. I have similar use goals with light trailering, and also don't want to stress the drivetrain so much

I ran 4.88's and 33's for about a month. I thought it was a bit buzzy at 70-75 for a daily driver (no towing) but might fine for you since you'll be towing almost all the time. IIRC, top gear 75 mph was running about 2900rpm.

Besides stock ratios, 4.88 is the only aftermarket choice for the 100 series rear diff gears. There is a way to run 4.56 or 5.29's using 80 series gears but requires a hybrid rear locker/diff.

Um, just asking, cause I'm in a similar situation, but what makes you say that 4.88's are the "only" aftermarket choice? Nitro gear has them in 4.56, and 4.88, for locked and non-locker t-cases.
Or are you saying that in your opinion, 4.88's are the "only" way to go for drivability, fuel economy, noise or whatever?
Not trying to start something, just curious, because I've been looking and pricing re-gearing and lockers for the last few months, and want to make an informed decision.

Perhaps something new... you have link to said gears?

Well if you can afford it, I would do the 4:88's and use Tru-Tracs. Sure the 4:30's will work but it will always lack power when pulling trailer or in the mountains. Tru-Tracs are great because they are zero maintenance no switchs wiring etc. to screw with and have a great track record.

Um, just asking, cause I'm in a similar situation, but what makes you say that 4.88's are the "only" aftermarket choice? Nitro gear has them in 4.56, and 4.88, for locked and non-locker t-cases.
Or are you saying that in your opinion, 4.88's are the "only" way to go for drivability, fuel economy, noise or whatever?
Not trying to start something, just curious, because I've been looking and pricing re-gearing and lockers for the last few months, and want to make an informed decision.

Well if going to go the cost of regearing in my opinion I would not waste the money from 430 to 456 minimal gain. They are harder to find, most likely will cost more due to low demand and if you ever have a problem the same issue.....harder to find and cost more. 488's should get the job done. Or like said earlier perhaps go back to smaller tire and sell your larger ones. I went with 265/16 BFG ATK0'S and couldn't be happier using stock 430 gears.:steer:

if you are pulling a trailer and stuff I don't see the need to be locked. not doing any crazy rock climbing. the atrac is pretty good so just a regear will be good. but if you have money to burn why not

Well if you can afford it, I would do the 4:88's and use Tru-Tracs. Sure the 4:30's will work but it will always lack power when pulling trailer or in the mountains. Tru-Tracs are great because they are zero maintenance no switchs wiring etc. to screw with and have a great track record.
Interesting. I figured most would only toss in a selectable locker on a rig like this. A lunch box style locked hadn't even hit my radar. I have used one in the rear of my first jeep, with good success. The only draw back was in the snow it would tend to push you around corners, kinda hard to explain. It would bind and pop around corners also, I had to learn how to burp the throttle to help release it. Then I bought a rubicon with selectable lockers. I rarely used them, the jeep had a ton of flex and climb extremely well, plus I liked the challenge of not using them. I will have to price this out to see how much of a cost diffrence this would be.

if you are pulling a trailer and stuff I don't see the need to be locked. not doing any crazy rock climbing. the atrac is pretty good so just a regear will be good. but if you have money to burn why not
I don't exactly have money to burn. I just don't want to regret anything. The trailer is on Hwy only not an offroad trailer. I do find my self on more difficult trails. I don't nessarly take the hard route, but I do like trails like fins and things. I would say I find my self about half way up the red list of trails in Moab. Hells revenge is about the only one I have not knocked off my short list. Might have to hit this one this summer if I can squeeze in a few extra days around HIH.

I ran 4.88's and 33's for about a month. I thought it was a bit buzzy at 70-75 for a daily driver (no towing) but might fine for you since you'll be towing almost all the time. IIRC, top gear 75 mph was running about 2900rpm.

Besides stock ratios, 4.88 is the only aftermarket choice for the 100 series rear diff gears. There is a way to run 4.56 or 5.29's using 80 series gears but requires a hybrid rear locker/diff.

I could totally see 4.88's being buzzy on 33's at speed. On my 4.88/35's I wouldn't want to be any higher in the rev range for long road trips. It's already a short legged vehicle at 75. Unfortunately it's just part of having a combo of 100/oversized tires/trailering. 4.88's and 33's are going to make you want to reduce your top end also due to the engine banging out higher rpm's at speed. The 4.7 is smooth as butter but it's still spinning at a pretty good clip to move a 100 up a hill.

Momentum is the name of the game for us. Typically on our big road trips (5000mi+ usually) towing our lightweight expo trailer I drop in behind big rigs a great deal of the time. We struggle in the same places so it's a good match. I can however lose momentum, hold the gear and keep up with the loaded down big boys. I also am in the slow lane with them so it gives me a chance for more thumbs up from people that recognize a cool vehicle and less middle finger from those that don't want a slow tank hogging the left lane. :lol:

This is on my list for later this year. What's it like with the 5 speed? I'm typically dropping to 4th for hills when I'm fully loaded. Out west it was grabbing 3rd on lots of hills. I'm around 2200 at 75mph, with a 4.88 I'm guessing it's going to be closer to 3000, but at least it won't have to come out of 5th.

Perhaps something new... you have link to said gears?
I just checked Just Differentials site. They don't show the 4.56's on there for non locker t-cases. Which is odd, because I've talked with them on here and asked why the 4.56's were more money. So, maybe they quit making them due to low demand or something, or they're special order only, I dunno.
Dumb thing is, that's the size I need to correct my speedometer.

I believe they only released 4.56 gears for the 80 Series, not the 100's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom