FIPG Alternative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a solid recommendation for an alternative to the FSM FIPG (-8826-00100 / Threebond 1282B) for the thermostat housing? Seems a bit steep at $70 a tube.

Permatex ultra grey? Ultra Copper? Or Toyota 00295-00103 ($12 but for oil pans?).

Thanks - apart

The FIPG should only be like $13 at the dealer.

The FIPG they sell you at the dealer is 00295-00103 and yes, it is about $12 a tube. It is spec'd for the oil pan.

The FSM calls for a different FIPG that is for use with coolants...08826-00100, and it is $70 a tube.

Permatex has several alternatives for $5-$10...ultra grey and the ultra copper, but I don't know much about them.

I am not a sealant expert, and was hoping there might be one on mud that could give some advice.

Ultra grey!
I used it on my oil pans and had no issues. Just make sure it has time to cure/dry

Check out The Right Stuff. It's anaerobic and the parts can be put back into service immediately. About $10 a can.

The FIPG they sell you at the dealer is 00295-00103 and yes, it is about $12 a tube. It is spec'd for the oil pan.

The FSM calls for a different FIPG that is for use with coolants...08826-00100, and it is $70 a tube.

Permatex has several alternatives for $5-$10...ultra grey and the ultra copper, but I don't know much about them.

I am not a sealant expert, and was hoping there might be one on mud that could give some advice.

TOYOTA SEALANT

Threebond 1282B was developed to be a fast curing sealant that is resistant to the coolants specified by Toyota. You'll be fine with permatex Ultra Grey. It will take years for any of it to degrade (if at all).

In the latest AISIN timing belt kit that I purchased, there was a card that suggests to use "AISIN AB1207B1 or equivalent" for the thermostat housing. In older kits I did not find this card. This looks to be a sensible alternative to the 1282B.

fipg.jpg

Should note - if you use permatex, wait 24 hours before having fluids/pressure hit your new head of RTV.

The only times I've seen Permatex fail (especially oil pans) is when the installer didn't wait.

You will be fine with 00295-00103 fig, I've literally seen thousands done with it with no issues. The only difference is it's a faster cure. Just wait an hour and a half before filling with coolant.

A Toyota shop once said to me, we can get-away-with 103 in system that use Toyota LL (red) but not in systems that use SLL (pink), IDK. I have found issue with leaks in some rigs that I suspect was due to wrong FIPG or contact with coolant to soon. But they could also could be from not cleaning surface properly before applying.

I just follow the FSM and use 1282B always, and don't worry about it.

One thing I do know; is Toyota has some of the best FIPG's you can buy and they work great short & long term. I've called permatex support on some high temp stuff and was told 7 yr life.

A Toyota shop once said to me, we can get-away-with 103 in system that use Toyota LL (red) but not in systems that use SLL (pink), IDK. I have found issue with leaks in some rigs that I suspect was due to wrong FIPG or contact with coolant to soon. But they could also could be from not cleaning surface properly before applying.

I just follow the FSM and use 1282B always, and don't worry about it.

One thing I do know; is Toyota has some of the best FIPG's you can buy and they work great short & long term. I've called permatex support on some high temp stuff and was told 7 yr life.
Where can you find the Three Bond 1282b? A google search does not reveal any. My Aisin TK-021 kit recommends the AB1207B1 as stated above. It is $21 so I think it is a decent alternative to the Toyota FIPG.

Toyota & Lexus Dealers carry 1282B FIPG. I've also purchased from ebay sellers. Try searching without the words "Three Bond" I just saw multiple offers on ebay.

I'm not familiar with AB1207B1. But Aisin is a mfg of Toyota water pumps. Three Bond Inc is suppliers of 1282B to Toyota or so it states on the box.

I used Permatex 22017 'Water Pump and Thermostat Housing" RTV when I did my timing belt about 3 years ago. I'm not sure how it stacks up against 3 bond in terms of quality, but I've had no leaks. I followed Permatex's directions and let it cure for 12+ hours before adding coolant which was definitely inconvenient.

Toyota & Lexus Dealers carry 1282B FIPG. I've also purchased from ebay sellers. Try searching without the words "Three Bond" I just saw multiple offers on ebay.

I'm not familiar with AB1207B1. But Aisin is a mfg of Toyota water pumps. Three Bond Inc is suppliers of 1282B to Toyota or so it states on the box.
Ok when I google the 1282B it brings me to the Toyota stuff which is $70 a tube. It is cheaper on Ebay. The Aisin is $21 on Amazon but I haven't found the cure time yet.

Here's two seller on ebay now. One gives the 103 FIPG in the deal for $40. Your risk, is it a good seller IDK
1282b fipg | eBay

Toyota parts dep has told me: that if it follows it's good and usable.

Its prob ok but I dont trust the 1282B sold on eBay- the price is 1/3 of retail; just doesn't add up to me. Not worth experimenting on a WP job IMO- way too much work to dig in that far to take a chance that the sealant starts leaking.

I just bought a couple tubes. Stocking up for the end of the world.
*Edit. I just visited a toyota dealer and this eBay stuff is legit
IMG_20180820_124925654.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom