Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to get some sliders for my 80. I may build them but I am fond of the bent tubing that protrudes off the box to help kick out the rear from obstacles. I don't have a bender so maybe just go with the box for now and have and excuse to buy A bender later. I have read about all the big names and the names not to use. Does anyone know if Rocky road ever got their sliders straight. Their current web page does a good job in marketing their sliders but I have not heard anything good about them? I am on the east coast so shipping is gonna be a killer unless of course someone knows someone on the east coast....

Just based on Mud reviews...Rocky Road would not even be an option for me (I agree their marketing is quite strong).

My take on this is that the people who really beat on their sliders tend to favor White Knucklem, at least in the SoCal area. I have the OPOR sliders from MT, and while they look cool I have not hit them on anything yet. So, because they are designed to be functional I don't feel qualified to tell you how they function. I will tell you I recently saw a critical post of the OPOR sliders where a Mud user said they have too great of a gap between the front fender/rocker area and the front end of the slider and he got some damage to his rocker. That is not cool, and I'm concerned to read that. I have looked closely at the pics on the White Knuckle website and the gap seems to be the same as my OPOR ones. ??? One thought would be to ask for overall length measurements from the makers, and how far back from the front end the tube is welded on.
I'd like to hear others' takes on this. If one has the front wheel sitting on a nasty rock and slowly rolls off it to transition the rock to the slider, it seems reasonable to expect the slider to catch the rock before the rocker. But it seems like there's a lot of variables there. Size, placement and shape of the rock all seem like strong variables.

My take on this is that the people who really beat on their sliders tend to favor White Knucklem, at least in the SoCal area. I have the OPOR sliders from MT, and while they look cool I have not hit them on anything yet. So, because they are designed to be functional I don't feel qualified to tell you how they function. I will tell you I recently saw a critical post of the OPOR sliders where a Mud user said they have too great of a gap between the front fender/rocker area and the front end of the slider and he got some damage to his rocker. That is not cool, and I'm concerned to read that. I have looked closely at the pics on the White Knuckle website and the gap seems to be the same as my OPOR ones. ??? One thought would be to ask for overall length measurements from the makers, and how far back from the front end the tube is welded on.
I'd like to hear others' takes on this. If one has the front wheel sitting on a nasty rock and slowly rolls off it to transition the rock to the slider, it seems reasonable to expect the slider to catch the rock before the rocker. But it seems like there's a lot of variables there. Size, placement and shape of the rock all seem like strong variables.

White Knuckle makes two different length sliders. One length that will allow mudflaps (probably the shorter length image you saw) and full length...no mudflaps. If your OPOR allows you to run the flaps, they are likely the same length as the shorter WK sliders.

White Knuckle makes two different length sliders. One length that will allow mudflaps (probably the shorter length image you saw) and full length...no mudflaps. If your OPOR allows you to run the flaps, they are likely the same length as the shorter WK sliders.

I was thinking that too. If people are choosing smaller ones and then not happy they got the smaller ones... meh. Regarding beating on sliders, what else are they there for? If you just want something to stand on that sort of works like a slider the factory running boards are good. For most people doing light 4x4'ing they've lasted for decades.

I was thinking that too. If people are choosing smaller ones and then not happy they got the smaller ones... meh. Regarding beating on sliders, what else are they there for? If you just want something to stand on that sort of works like a slider the factory running boards are good. For most people doing light 4x4'ing they've lasted for decades.
Tip of the day: Get sliders before you think you might need sliders or don't let @NLXTACY spot for you! Either option will increase the longevity of your rocker panels...:D
DSC_3440_zps90ec675f.jpg

My OPOR sliders are quite long to my eye, and I don't have front mud flaps. They are not short like the front mud flap options on the White Knuckle site. Is White Knuckle the only one to offer two lengths?

My OPOR sliders are quite long to my eye, and I don't have front mud flaps. They are not short like the front mud flap options on the White Knuckle site. Is White Knuckle the only one to offer two lengths?

This guy is making my front bumper: Tube Sliders For Toyota Land Cruiser

Everything is custom, and they make sliders (not for my year, sadly). But I bet you could email him and get the exact length you want.

just please don't go with rocky road, biggest mistake Ive made with my rig. I wish I could afford to throw them in the trash and get some from a real company

How come they're so bad? The website says "lifetime guarantee". Install problems? Fit problems? Rusting out?

That's what I have heard, but was curious of anyone knew if they solved their problems?

I bought their's 3 years ago, they were idiots. I don't think there's a fix for stupid.

Last edited:
How come they're so bad? The website says "lifetime guarantee". Install problems? Fit problems? Rusting out?

all the above plus inadequate strength for intended purpose....ok thats harsh... maybe they dont rust out LOL

who knows what is up with IPOR lately... ive fallen flat on the recommendations ive made for them lately but a good group

but they are east coast and while they dont make an 80 slider.... it seems the make an 80 slider?!?
not sure if you have to be primo client or what to get one but have seen a few sets on here so might be worth a phone call.

mostly it looks like they resell OPOR through MT but might be worth a shot.
I think bicycleagents's comment was about a post by landtank after i recommended OPOR which i have no experience with

They made a bad jig and produce all of their 80 sliders from them. They don't fit without much reworking. I had to cut and re-weld mine and still had poor fitment. They said if I returned them and they fit their jig I would have to pay for return freight. Their reasoning was that I must be too stupid to make them work and that Toyota engineering was sub standard and no two frames were alike. Like I said above, total idiots.
This company kills the notion of "Buy American", Chinese quality from 1997 trumps this companies quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom