What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (66 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished getting all the flares off. Unfortunately the hardened fender gasket scored my paint. Not sure yet on road to resolve that. Meanwhile, took the flares out for a bath in the backyard, erased the fender gasket goo, and started sanding the flares for paint.

at home, or on a lift? either way, print this off and follow it. Slee - OME Suspension Installation (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser)

other than that, try not to break any bolts, or drop it on yourself, and you should be good. it's straight forwards enough. I did it myself 3 weeks ago, at a garage on their lift in 6 hours, which also included some wire-brushing /de-rust / spraypainting of the mounts etc

Finally done. It was really nice not to have to rush the job. Everything working nicely, and added 3x delta fans (2x axial, 1x standard) on a little thermo controller to move a bit of air around, especially with the compressor sitting right below the switch panel
IMAG1557.jpg
IMAG1558.jpg

Finally done. It was really nice not to have to rush the job. Everything working nicely, and added 3x delta fans (2x axial, 1x standard) on a little thermo controller to move a bit of air around, especially with the compressor sitting right below the switch panel

Very nice work from down-under :), no concerns that these 5 switches could be turned-on accidentally will off-roading from stuff in rear moving around while on the trail (camping stuff, pets, kids, water/fuel cans, tools, etc.) ? :cautious:

Finished the rustoleum paint job and painting the cladding and flares black. Sorry for the potato quality, it was getting late. Still going to paint the mirrors and door handles, just waiting for some time to do it.
View attachment 1421760

Would love to know about your process, or the process you followed. Been itching to do the same

Subwoofer - mounted
Subwoofer wires - signal passenger side, power driver side
New stereo head - wired and tested
Power for cb and subwoofer - cable run through firewall grommet

Pain in the ass work, especially all the stuff right in the stereo compartment. Basically putting in 1 din stereo head and 1 din cb, sub, and new speakers. Bumpin.

Where did you mount it?

Mounted here. Here you can see an ipad and iphone mounts. Both have MotionX maps loaded. Might move it to behind the the center console since I dont use the 2nd row seats anymore.

IMG_5093.JPG

Mounted here. Here you can see an ipad and iphone mounts. Both have MotionX maps loaded. Might move it to behind the the center console since I dont use the 2nd row seats anymore.

View attachment 1428573

Been looking into HAM.. but don't even have CB yet.

Anyone think there's any case for having both? Is communication among wheelers moving to FMRS or HAM to the point that CB wouldn't be worth the low cost?

Anyone think there's any case for having both? Is communication among wheelers moving to FMRS or HAM to the point that CB wouldn't be worth the low cost?

Great question, I have been wondering the same ! Want to get into 'sonething' but I'm not sure what....

I kept my cb just on case, plus I liked the weather band it has. Except now I have it loaded on the ham. So I don't know.

I'm only using a "hamheld" right now but I just got an idea for installing a mobile.

:hmm:

Ham installations can be cheaper than a CB or much more depending on what you want to do. However most ham installs are easier and more reliable than CB installs. A cheap Boafeng radio and a $25 mag mount antenna will run circles around a CB for the cost of just a CB radio.

Mine is much more expensive but I have APRS gps tracking along with dual transceivers
full

Ham installations can be cheaper than a CB or much more depending on what you want to do. However most ham installs are easier and more reliable than CB installs. A cheap Boafeng radio and a $25 mag mount antenna will run circles around a CB for the cost of just a CB radio.

Mine is much more expensive but I have APRS gps tracking along with dual transceivers
full

What make/model is that? I'm starting to be convinced investing in communications is very worth-while.. and I wouldn't mind doing even a basic CB also if it'd actually be useful.

My main concern is is CB used often enough without an alternative to justify the expense. HAM is definitely gaining notoriety but CB still seems to be the "standard" in off-road communications.. and if a Ham radio won't work on those frequencies..

What make/model is that? I'm starting to be convinced investing in communications is very worth-while.. and I wouldn't mind doing even a basic CB also if it'd actually be useful.

My main concern is is CB used often enough without an alternative to justify the expense. HAM is definitely gaining notoriety but CB still seems to be the "standard" in off-road communications.. and if a Ham radio won't work on those frequencies..
First look at what your communication goals are. Do you just need to talk to those offroading in your group(short range)? Are you looking for reliable long distance communications in case you get stuck or break down(long range)? For short range FRS works great and is cheap. Carry extra radios to hand out to others in a group that are not prepared. For longer range ham is the way to go. Much better than CB with better sound. I would say for a new setup go ham and get a cheap scanner or hand held CB if you want to listen in to the CB guys around.

I run discontinued Yaesu FTM-350's in my rigs. You can find them used for $350 to $400 with GPS on www.qrz.com forums. It was replaced with the FTM400 which some people like. I prefer not to have a touch screen on my radio. The Kenwood TM-D710G is another good APRS radio. They are at the top end of VHF/UHF mobile rigs. Check out aprs.fi and Google APRS for more information on what it is and does.

Last edited:

Correct. Different worlds. I started with CB because that was cheap and common with my local club. We since have all moved to HAM, however I leave the CB there because you never who you will be wheeling with or may need to contact.

Ultimately I do want long-range. Reading the solo recovery thread and my tendency to go out alone mean it just might be a life-saving move.

Thanks for the advice.. a handheld CB is probably fine for what I'd end up using it for

IMG_4467.jpg
Noobie here. Just picked up my first LC. 1993 FJ80 with a ton of miles and a ton of issues. I'm looking forward to dialing it all in and hope this site will help me along the way.

First issue I need not want to tackle is horrible Death Wobble. I been reading all the related threads and sounds like I have my hands full with diagnosing the many culprits. Wish me luck, I love this FJ80!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom