Is this grease ok for our wheel bearings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In sailing world the joke is new line goes to the running rigging. Once those are shot they become mooring lines. After that they move to the bedroom.

:hmm: considering that I just did my rear hubs this past weekend at 220k and there was NO grease at all in the bearings, they were running in gear oil. I think you could just spit on them and get 100k. YMMV ;)

Most of them we have seen had no grease, were running happy on gear oil. Have left the axle seals out, so the gear oil can flush in and out, works well and is how most FF axles are done. Gear oil is a better lube than grease and no need to repack.

Most of them we have seen had no grease, were running happy on gear oil. Have left the axle seals out, so the gear oil can flush in and out, works well and is how most FF axles are done. Gear oil is a better lube than grease and no need to repack.
Are you saying the gear oil is good for bearings? :doh: And here I was going to pack moly in the carrier and pinion bearings :rolleyes:.

I kid of course.

And the hub seal does a good job of keeping it out of the brakes?

Do you leave the inner seal out on all the rigs you work on now?

And the hub seal does a good job of keeping it out of the brakes?

Yep, most of them we have had apart had no grease, full of oil, so no real change.

Do you leave the inner seal out on all the rigs you work on now?

Depending on owner preference, mostly yes.

Yep, most of them we have had apart had no grease, full of oil, so no real change.

Depending on owner preference, mostly yes.

Interesting. I'll probably try that next time I have it apart. I've wondered for a while, knowing most FF axles are set up this way, as you pointed out. Just wasn't brave enough to experiment on mine.

Just curious, but why would there be a different grease for disc wheel bearings vs non disc wheel bearings?

Heat, the disc brakes get a lot hotter than a drum brake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom