I'm new... today! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up this 1990 Land Cruiser the other day... a California native (and staying in CA). Only 158k miles and near perfect interior. And everything works! These rigs are amazing. I've wanted one for years having owned many, many Toyota's. But after a recent trip to Africa where they are literally everywhere (new, old, safari rigs, work rigs, play rigs, hunting rigs... most with over 200k miles) my decision to get one was finalized.

Couple things I need that are proving to be hard to find:
Horns (low and high). Literally 2 days after I picked mine up I was in the parking lot at the local auto parts store and an old guy backed into me. I was honking the whole time, but the high tone was out and he never heard me. It was like being in a nightmare that you couldn't wake up from! Luckily no damage to the tank. He was not so lucky. Evidently Toyota doesn't make these horns anymore. So off to the boneyard... thought I'd try here too.

Looking forward to many adventures in the future... did our 3rd adventure last night to Malibu Creek campground with my daughter (who works daily to convince me this is her car).

IMG_0385 (1).JPG

IMG_0737 (2).JPG

Well, let me be the first to say WELCOME! That is a great looking 62!! Looks like you have a super clean one to start with! For the horn, if you don't find one in the boneyard, it seems like a few members have been going with these Hella Horns! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MA03S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002MA03S&linkCode=as2&tag=httpwwweve05c-20

Welcome to mud, there is a ton of knowledge here and amazing cruiser people, the search bar is an awesome tool, I always recommend searching before posting because almost anything you will need to do, has been done! Now get out and enjoy your cruiser and post some more pictures, we love details. :D :beer:

Welcome. I live in Mid-Valley area. I wouldn't go with the stock or stock-ish horns, they're pretty weak.

Those Hella horns are great and scare the Sh!T outta people sipping Starbucks and talking on cell and backing up - ALL at the same time! Honestly, I've had people drop their phones when I've had to blast 'em... Just be prepared for the universal gesture of good will: :flipoff2:

Nice rig. Tell daughter she must buy her own.

But if you have to have stock, these are the OEM: TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ40 FJ45 HJ45 HJ60 BJ40 BJ453 BJ45 BJ70 NEW DENSO HORNS 12V | eBay

And you said you were looking for TWO things but only mentioned one .... :D

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the Toyota meep meep horns. So if you are changing a horn get some freeway blasters. Anything probably works. Just need it loud in my opinion.

Just keep in mind the three horn buttons on our steering wheels are easy to bump, so you don't want to scare yourself too.. lol.

Also, when I bought the supertones, the sharptone was not available here (I didn't feel like shipping from the UK)...

The Hella Sharptone is a little physically smaller and has a lower tone. Might be easier to install than the supers. There are Youtube vids comparing the two.

Sharptone Horn

Nice looking rig, and the perfect color choice (LOL).
People here are some of the most knowledgeable folks around on these trucks, and definitely willing to help.

Now, what is that I see above the passenger side drip rail, right above your daughters left shoulder?
Looks like some bubbling, but I hope it's just the sun.
If not, address it now...take it from me, it doesn't get any better :(

Nice looking start to your journey of Cruiser ownership! Lots of good stuff going for you. Welcome!!!

@BlackCat those look like the old old American Racing 15"s I had on my 82.
100_2266.JPG

Excellent looking first landcruiser. As @Off Duty states above get on that bubbling ASAP, then tell your daughter to start saving and get behind me in line for when you are selling it ;)

Very sharp truck - and my daughter really wants mine, too. She's not paying for 11 MPG gas, either, however. I let her drive it as a reward.

I installed 4-note Cadillac horns, running off a relay. The horn sounds like a tugboat, which is great. Deep and authoritative. Horns were from a '91 Caddy of some sort. Buick 3-note horns are good, too, with a higher pitch overall. Just search a pick-and-pull for a '90s era GM heap (Cadillac or Buick) and see what turns up.

Nice looking rig, and the perfect color choice (LOL).
People here are some of the most knowledgeable folks around on these trucks, and definitely willing to help.

Now, what is that I see above the passenger side drip rail, right above your daughters left shoulder?
Looks like some bubbling, but I hope it's just the sun.
If not, address it now...take it from me, it doesn't get any better :(

Good eye! Yes it is a bit of cosmetic cancer (for now). Planning to fix that this month!

Great looking 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom